rim width

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
I`m going to buy wider rear rims for my 295 60 d15 hoosier quicktimes. I am running them on 8" prostars . The maximum recommended width for them is 10" , minumim 8" . They are working fine , but since I`ve decided not to tub my fish , which would be the best for street n strip , 9" or 10'' rims . Trying to maximize what I`ve got , "traction is limited"
thumbnail.jpg
. Don't really want to screw them down , but will if nessecary. They have 10'' tread ---------------------------------------
What say u guys ??

I've been told by racers that you want to go with the widest width possible. Some have used a "trick" by using a width wider than the max recommended.

I've been told by racers that you want to go with the widest width possible. Some have used a "trick" by using a width wider than the max recommended.

YEAH THAT IS ONE OF THE CURRANT TRICKS TO KEEP THE TREAD FLAT. I JUST DONT REALLY WANT TO SCREW THE TIRES DOWN, WHICH U HAVE TO DO , OR RUN BEADELOCKS W/THE WIDER THAN NORMAL RIMS . ??????
The 10'' would be flush or stick out a little past the body/fenders , don't want it to look like a Mexican ricer . I always thot tires sticking out from under the body plain sucked , and looked like crap. Belong on mudders only.
More opinions ?

Running a wider wheel for the same tire size will stiffen up the sidewall, which will make the car feel more planted, but the tires may not wrinkle on launch like you want them to. I have no idea what it will do in respect to keeping the tread flat on the ground, but I imagine you can adjust your contact patch with tire pressure

On the street
I run my 295 BFG/Coopers on 10s; but for long, even across the face,and not less-worn shoulders, tread-life, I have to keep the pressure down at 24psi. Of course when entering a turn, the tires roll over onto the sidewalls a bit; but I got used to it, and in the end I kindof like it, cuz the car oversteers nicely with just a bit of power applied. And if it gets to be too much, a lil more gas gets me a nice sweeping 2 or 3 lane drift with lotsa tiresmoke, and the roll-over is history.
IMO, another inch would not be too much, and 28psi would be a lil more turn-in friendly.

And what's with the wheels out at a angle like in the photo? That works for roundy round racers but looks asinine on a street car.

who knows man, its a fab with the import crew
I think it looks like crap and I cant imagine it handling like anything either

(once again, I posted something "tongue in cheek" and forgot to put my little " :poke: " under there so people would know im being sarcastic

poke.gif

I run 275/60/15 on 10 inch rims. Even my 28x9x15 were run in 10 inch rims. Do the 10s so u dont regret it. Can u go with more offset? Kim

I run 275/60/15 on 10 inch rims. Even my 28x9x15 were run in 10 inch rims. Do the 10s so u dont regret it. Can u go with more offset? Kim

Have to have a 3 1/2" offset to make this work on stock but stretched in the front r rear fender wells . Think after looking at the cardboard strips I taped to the wheels, trying to get an Idea of what it will look like , 1'' on one side and 2" on the other , I`m leaning toward 2" .
Thinking of going draglites instead of stars, would b easier to sell because of dual bolt pattern.
Stars on front and lites on back , opinions on this ??????????

Have to have a 3 1/2" offset to make this work on stock...….
Obviously you'll hang out more than you are if you have 3-1/2" BS now. Have you considered 4-1/2" with a "if necessary" spacer and longer shank lugs to clear suspension?

10 X 15 X 3-1/2 BS Draglites 265-60s on stock 8-3/4 axle/brakes...…..

upload_2019-11-19_8-48-39.png

upload_2019-11-19_8-45-14.png

Stars on front and lites on back , opinions on this ??????????
Since ya' ask, ..... na, not me.

Just for future information, in case you get to wondering;
A long time ago,I got the somewhat bright idea to install a pair of 325/50-15 BFG Drag Radials on my car for a quick trip down the track, and see what my beast could do, cuz everyone in town but me wanted to know. I didn't care.
So I mounted them on 10s, with 4.5bs wheels, cuz that used to be a popular wheel combo, moved the springs inboard, and finally narrowed the rear to fit. Then I lowered the car until it rubbed, and pounded a lil on the inboard side, lowered some more and pounded a different spot, until it all played nice together. On the outboard side , it just needed a wee bit, so I just folded the lip up a lil.
Then I put the ride height back up and that was that.
After the TnT, 4 runs, only one completed, I put the 295/50-15s on and there is plenty of clearance inside the stock 68 Barracuda tubs , that; even at my lowered height, I never give those rear wheels any thought, even off-roading, or bouncing of curbs.
Sorry I can't give you a banjo measurement, it's going on 16 year ago, long before I ever heard of FABO.

69 Formula-S's have the best rear view, I installed that same back end onto my 68.

I'm not a fan of tires sticking out of the wheel wells . Reminds me of the early 70's when people would put on air shocks, jack the car as high as possible, blow out an air line and have slashes on the sidewall. If it were me, I would do whatever I had to, to get the Wheels inside the wheel wells. And don't mix rims. Looks like you just threw the car together. JMO. You asked .

I kindof like the look, but since it's illegal here, the cops will just pull me over for that, and then probable-cause my car apart. I don't need them to keep one eye out for me.

Last edited:
Obviously you'll hang out more than you are if you have 3-1/2" BS now. Have you considered 4-1/2" with a "if necessary" spacer and longer shank lugs to clear suspension?

10 X 15 X 3-1/2 BS Draglites 265-60s on stock 8-3/4 axle/brakes...…..

View attachment 1715425545

View attachment 1715425544

I have come to the conclusion , mine would look about the same . I`m leaning toward 9" now.
My dana 60 has been cut down to 1" less than A body width, then disc brakes added , no way a 4 1/2" or 4" for that matter will work. I have 4" backspace / with 9/16'',worth of spacers/3" studs , 3/4" offset spring hangars,on it now ,definitely needs 3 1/2" to be perfect.> masaged inside wheel wells .
My thots on draglite was kinda the old gasser look w/ spokes on the front and a heavier wheel on the back , of course they didn`t have weld wheels back then.
Also leaning on staying w/ the stars for the reason posted above.
I am even thinking "why the hell bother, since what I`ve got is working fine !"--- ---LOL

-
Back