Rims for KH disc brakes

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
We just tried putting the ralley rims on the Valiant and the front ones won't go on. It looks like we are interfering with the od of the hub and the id of the rim that fits over it. We just rebuilt the whole suspension and installed new KH disc brakes on it.

Do I have the wrong rims?

I had the KH quad piston setup on the 71 Demon but ran 14" factory steel with hub caps. I know ford rims have a smaller register but I never had any small bolt patter Rallye wheels on that car.

I have a 67 Barracuda with KH disc and ralley rims on it, so I thought that these would work also. I'm thinking there must be a difference in the rims.

I have a 67 Barracuda with KH disc and ralley rims on it, so I thought that these would work also. I'm thinking there must be a difference in the rims.

Me, too. So there must be something else going on. ???

Are the parts all OEM,MOPAR?
Or are the rotors jobber and the wheels aftermarket?

I have no issues with 14inch OEM steel wheels, Wheel Vintiques Rallys 15 x 8, or 14" ETIIs ; onto 1970 Duster KH rotors/hubs/calipers.
Back in 1971, I tried to put some steel slot-mags on. That was a no-go. There was no recess for the calipers. They woiuld bolt on ok, but they wouldnt turn/spin.

Something looks off with those calipers , not sure what though . Will take a look at mine later

I read that you believe that the issue is between the hub OD and the wheel ID. And I assume that you have cleaned them. I dont read that you have put a vernier caliper in there and measured those.
So I respectfully suggest that you remove the caliper, move it inboard some where and attempt to mount the wheel with the caliper removed thus. I know its a tight fit between the caliper bodies and the wheel structure. Its also a tight fit between the hub and the wheel.But the fit should be loose enough that you dont have to beat it on.I can seat mine with just a bit of muscle.
If it still doesnt fit you will know what to modify
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it does fit,then I imagine there is interference between the caliper and the wheel structure. The caliper will need to be moved inboard or the rotor will need to be moved outboard.You could also remove the grease cup and see where the cotter-pin hole is relative to the castellated nut. If theres considerable room there, its fairly easy to move the rotor/hub out. Or perhaps the bearings are wrong or the inner bearing stop is factory machined too deep, or a bearing has spun in the past, and "machined" the bore too deep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Or the center register in the wheels are just plain too small. And that would be very odd, since they fit on the back ok. I have a feeling the hub ODs are; rusty, damaged or incorrectly machined.
All the best

KK, Are you saying that the center hole of the wheel won't fit over the center hub of the rotor?

Here's a couple of pics I took recently for another member. Factory 66 Barracuda KH's. I run facotry 14" Rally's

Attachments

• KH 1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 103
  • KH 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 96
  • KH 3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 100
I just measured an original KH center hub for you.....Hope this helps.

It tapers from 2.320" at the base to 2.280" at the top.

I just measured an original KH center hub for you.....Hope this helps.

It tapers from 2.320" at the base to 2.280" at the top.

Thanks C. :glasses7:

I got 2.320" at the base and 2.2915 at the tip on mine. (that's what she said - LOL!)

When I tried to measure the ID of the rim, I couldn't because the caliper could not get in there enough to measure accurately.

However when I tried to mount the wheel on the car again, it went on fine.... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

So we now have the wheels on and moved it to the other side of the garage so we can work on it better.

I don't know why we had trouble yesterday, maybe we ate the Catlin Jenner Wheaties instead of the Bruce Jenner Wheaties... #-o

Thanks everyone for the comments, they helped me get to the bottom of this... :cheers:

:thumbup: Good to hear you got it figured out....LOL @ the Wheaties analogy!

-
Back