Ring and Pinion Question

-

Duane

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell a 9310 pro gear set from a standard gear set.
I have come across a good deal on a like new D60 gear set and would like to verify that they are pro gears. They are about 20 years old but were never run. I ve had no luck with the numbers on the ring gear. Any help much appreciated.

take a fine file and file across the edge of ring gear, if it digs in , it's a pro gear, means it's soft. street gear the file will sail across it , not dig in. do not use a grinder!!!

take a fine file and file across the edge of ring gear, if it digs in , it's a pro gear, means it's soft. street gear the file will sail across it , not dig in. do not use a grinder!!!
I was trying to search the part number on the gears and had no luck. I just noticed this morning that the numbers 9310 are stamped on the ring gear in another location, but thanks for the tip.

Spark testing is a method of determining the general classification of ferrous materials. It normally entails taking a piece of metal, usually scrap, and applying it to a grinding wheel in order to observe the sparks emitted.[1] These sparks can be compared to a chart or to sparks from a known test sample to determine the classification. Spark testing also can be used to sort ferrous materials, establishing the difference from one another by noting whether the spark is the same or different.

Spark testing is used because it is quick, easy, and inexpensive. Moreover, test samples do not have to be prepared in any way, so, often, a piece of scrap is used. The main disadvantage to spark testing is its inability to identify a material positively; if positive identification is required, chemical analysis must be used.[2] The spark comparison method also damages the material being tested, at least slightly.

Spark testing most often is used in tool rooms, machine shops, heat treating shops, and foundries.[3]

The convenience of spark testing is magnified by the ability to photograph the process, zoom in on spark ends, and thereby gaining further and precise knowledge of the metallurgical content by examining the spark tendrils.

Spark testing is a method of determining the general classification of ferrous materials. It normally entails taking a piece of metal, usually scrap, and applying it to a grinding wheel in order to observe the sparks emitted.[1] These sparks can be compared to a chart or to sparks from a known test sample to determine the classification. Spark testing also can be used to sort ferrous materials, establishing the difference from one another by noting whether the spark is the same or different.

Spark testing is used because it is quick, easy, and inexpensive. Moreover, test samples do not have to be prepared in any way, so, often, a piece of scrap is used. The main disadvantage to spark testing is its inability to identify a material positively; if positive identification is required, chemical analysis must be used.[2] The spark comparison method also damages the material being tested, at least slightly.

Spark testing most often is used in tool rooms, machine shops, heat treating shops, and foundries.[3]

The convenience of spark testing is magnified by the ability to photograph the process, zoom in on spark ends, and thereby gaining further and precise knowledge of the metallurgical content by examining the spark tendrils.
This is a good read!!
And to a degree I know it to be true. I work in a tool room for a living. I sharpen machining tools, and have notice that extremely hard materials have a less bright spark colour. I remember sharpening a set of shear blades for a friend and I was amazed at the colour of the Sparks. Really hard stuff.

I wasn't meaning file across the teeth, just on the edge.
Yes I knew that. I am satisfied finding the numbers 9310 (which is the material pro gears are made of versus 8620 for street gears)
that the gears are pro gears. But the spark thing is interesting to learn about just the same.
Thanks

Yes I knew that. I am satisfied finding the numbers 9310 (which is the material pro gears are made of versus 8620 for street gears)
that the gears are pro gears. But the spark thing is interesting to learn about just the same.
Thanks

Look at the backlash. The Pro Gear uses more backlash than the street gear.

Look at the backlash. The Pro Gear uses more backlash than the street gear.
That's interesting. The gear set I have has the recommended pinion depth marked at 3.130 and they also have the backlash marked at .004 which I thought was tighter.

That's interesting. The gear set I have has the recommended pinion depth marked at 3.130 and they also have the backlash marked at .004 which I thought was tighter.

Hmmmm. It might be possible (some would say probable...including my wife) that I'm wrong on that.

And now that I'm sitting here, trying to remember the last two gear sets I did (5.57 for my race car and some 4:30's for a buddy) I may be wrong. The pro gear is softer so they may have the tighter back lash.

Hmmmm. It might be possible (some would say probable...including my wife) that I'm wrong on that.

And now that I'm sitting here, trying to remember the last two gear sets I did (5.57 for my race car and some 4:30's for a buddy) I may be wrong. The pro gear is softer so they may have the tighter back lash.
I am not saying your wrong, just telling you what's on the gear set.
I have done maybe 3-4 gears sets in my life which is not a lot, but I cannot say I have ever seen a backlash setting etched on the gear set, so who knows. I,ve had some that did not even have a depth setting etched. These Richmond pro gears have both.

-
Back