Rings?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am slowly getting the parts of my bottom end together. Doing it on the cheap so it takes time to get the deals I want. Anyway, I have a set of new forged pistons (8.5 to 1 advertised), but I don't have any rings for them. I know that file fit rings would be the first choice, but I don't have a ring grinder or access to one.

340, +.030, stock forged crank, getting H-beam rods
going to be a 6-71 setup at about 8lbs of boost, maybe fuel injected.

What would you suggest I pick up for rings?

Jack

I like using the Total Seal Gapless piston rings. Yes they are file fit but a machine shop can do that for you and really your not going to get any better then a file fit ring
Also if your going to super charge it you might as well EFI the thing for better all around performance.

Seeing how you said you have forged pistons, I'm assuming you have a 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 rings needed.

I used the street and race one on this page for my .030 340
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TSR-T7590-35/

However this might be better for you because you're super charging the motor. (recommended for you app)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TSR-ML759035/

This is the upgraded set of the ones I recommended for your motor.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TSR-MS3690-75/

Love it!Nice to see a roots on a Mopar!Try calling the piston supplier.They know the expansion and thermal dynamics on the pistons.They should have an intelligent answer.X2, on the F.I.,if yoi got coin.

x2
I second the Total Seal Gapless rings chromoly.

I would do it yourself. Get a Feeler gauge, and your ring set out......get comfortable in the garage and go through each cylinder measuring and grinding and measuring.

Then after getting the ring gaps all set in their relative bore that you just set them too....assemble them to their piston with some Ring Spreading Pliers....and label/mark each piston till ready to drop them in.

The factory ring specs are usually tight if considered for a Forced Induction build and rings are gapped as if the engine were Naturally Aspirated.

I have had good luck with .004" piston to wall clearance and .020" and .019" ring gaps with 8:1 CR and over 20 psi of boost....race fuel above 14 psi though....and turbocharger but still FI and comparable CR.

:happy1:

A good rule of thumb on a performance engine is .004" per inch of bore on a N/A motor and .005"-.006" on a blown motor sometimes more but .006" per inch is pretty Damn loose...

Joe

I am using Total Seal plasma moly file fit rings. .028 top ring and .024 second ring and .015 on the oil rings on a 4.402 bore. Tech stated these rings would handle up to 16-18#s. My top ring is a bit further down the piston skirt. I didn't want to risk the chance of the rings butting! Gapless have had some issues on Boosted engine from what tech told me at Total Seal.

The pistons I have are Federal Mogul Powerforged L2385F. I can't find them listed anywhere. Are they the same as TRW L2385F? I am guessing that they are 5/64, 5/64, 3/16 ring groves.

Jack

hey coyote you can borrow a ring file at your local canidan tire jimjim

-
Back