Road race and significant other bench seat

-

DionR

Reaction score
My wife has wished for a long time that I would put a bench seat in my Duster so she could sit next to me when we go somewhere. I agree with her and wish it were possible as well, but an old bench (even a high backed one) doesn't lend itself to long sweeping on-ramps or track days which means I really want a bucket seat that helps keep me located in the car during high g loads ( :rolleyes: ).

But what if someone where to build a high back bench seat with real bolsters both on the back and seat where the bolsters didn't interfere with the comfort of a passenger sitting in the middle? Maybe that isn't possible, not sure if there is room, but it sure seems like it could be the best of both worlds. If the thing was build right, my wife could sit next to me if we went out for ice cream or something, but if she (or someone else) rode along on the road course, they could sit in the standard location and have the same bolsters as the driver.

Probably just a pipe dream.

Just sharing an idle thought. I have no expectation that anyone has seen or done anything like this.

Wow, a wife that still wants to sit next to you! I hear “Husband of the year “ award in your future.....

Definitely possible with a competant upholstery person. High density foam and a good 3 point belt.

I wonder if the 3 point seatbelt issue is part of why nobody builds a bench seat anymore (that I am aware of). Always assumed it was because of the lack of room for a column shift and the absolutely most important option in any car (to some anyway) - CUP HOLDERS.

You are suggesting that I take a standard high back bench seat and have a upholster build in bolsters using high density foam? I guess I could see that working.

I was thinking something a little more high tech, though. Like taking two Recaros or something and joining them together. There are certainly limits to what would work, like no fixed back racing seats with huge bolsters on the legs, but maybe something a little more reserved would do the job. I guess in the end, it wouldn't be much different than a set of regular bucket seats with a buddy seat between them. Wonder if that would do the job?

My wife has wished for a long time that I would put a bench seat in my Duster so she could sit next to me when we go somewhere. I agree with her and wish it were possible as well, but an old bench (even a high backed one) doesn't lend itself to long sweeping on-ramps or track days which means I really want a bucket seat that helps keep me located in the car during high g loads ( :rolleyes: ).

But what if someone where to build a high back bench seat with real bolsters both on the back and seat where the bolsters didn't interfere with the comfort of a passenger sitting in the middle? Maybe that isn't possible, not sure if there is room, but it sure seems like it could be the best of both worlds. If the thing was build right, my wife could sit next to me if we went out for ice cream or something, but if she (or someone else) rode along on the road course, they could sit in the standard location and have the same bolsters as the driver.

Just sharing an idle thought. I have no expectation that anyone has seen or done anything like this.

So you currently have a perfect excuse that keeps hands off your steering arms and someone else's legs out of the way of the pedals and you are thinking to give it all up?:D
You have no idea what I went through to stop that, and you want to give it up.:lol:

So you currently have a perfect excuse that keeps hands off your steering arms and someone else's legs out of the way of the pedals and you are thinking to give it all up?:D
You have no idea what I went through to stop that, and you want to give it up.:lol:

:rofl:
We used to have a Volare SC that we used to do that in sometimes, but it was an auto with PS. Not sure how it would work in a 4 speed manual steering Duster.

It's probably one of those nostalgia things were time has helped us forget the things that didn't work and only remember the fun we had. That car has been gone for over 20 years.

The reality is, with a 4 speed, it might not really work at all unless I re-teach her how to shift for me (we used to do that in a LeBaron so it was easier for me to eat a burger on the road).

:rofl:
We used to have a Volare SC that we used to do that in sometimes, but it was an auto with PS. Not sure how it would work in a 4 speed manual steering Duster.

It's probably one of those nostalgia things were time has helped us forget the things that didn't work and only remember the fun we had. That car has been gone for over 20 years.

The reality is, with a 4 speed, it might not really work at all.

If you don't mind having to pay attention to whats tangled all around your shifter all the time so no one gets hurt then go for it.:D

Good grief!!!

Not to de-rail my own thread, but I went poking around on Recaro's website just to see if they had a seat that kind of fit the bill and settle on the Ergomed ES. They looked like they might work and even had all kinds of features that would be nice. So I took the next step and searched for a price.

$3600??? That better be for a pair of seats, rails and a team of installers to put them in. Holy cow!

Funny thing is, they look like an updated version of the E30 sport seat, which I have a pair of sitting in storage. Mine cost $16 each, but need some welds fixed on the back and new seat covers. Feeling pretty good about grabbing those now. :D

Sound like you are talking about something like this. Any good custom upholstery shop can build one. Back when I owned my auto Upholstery shop on the 80s, I could have done it!

Just flip the arm rest up and slide over...

FBFA2C61-3B1B-46CB-A046-7345395862D9.jpeg

I used this as a base image to paint over and create the design...

F802754E-37B1-414A-93E7-B57037B0A82B.jpeg

Ok, that's impressive. I couldn't have created that in several days, and you did it in a short while?
Took about an hour.

Building a real seat like that isn’t hard. Start with a base split bench, strip it to the frame, weld on the driver’s side bolster supports from a donor bucket seat like an SRT, cut and rebuild the foam, sew the cover and install.

It won’t be any more difficult than doing this custom ‘56 caddy interior I did back in the day. The owner wanted red and white and over stuffed seats to look like big marshmallows.

55223995-8867-4E52-81D2-45E5048AAAD8.jpeg

Dion’s wife here....thank you all for the great ideas! And husband of the year? You bet!! He is definitely a wonderful man! I am so blessed! We just celebrated our 28th anniversary and yes, I still want to sit close to him

Well, If you need more specific design instructions just let me know.

It won’t be cheap to build a seat like that. It will probably run $2500 to $3000 finished and ready to install.

I'm fully on board with the bench seat business. I am blessed with the most amazing GF on the planet, and she (and me) can't think of anything better than going for a drive with her sitting in the middle right next to me, where she belongs. Count your blessings Dion, you are a lucky guy - coming from one who is living the dream.

I used to road race my 67 dart, now just local twisties. Still with a split bench seat,with armrest. Had it reupholstered years ago, had them use body colored cloth inserts like the older mustangs had. stops MOST of the sliding around in the seat. Also run a 4 point seat belt, from a Bell helicopter. Run the top belt through the headrest to a reel attached to a reinforced package tray. Works great, and when just driving around, do not need the shoulder belts. Was thinking of putting cup holders in the armrest.

I do t know... seems to me you need another MoPar!
:lol:

I wonder if a well-made snap-in type system that would let you swap out the bench and the race seats would work? Like how some cargo and minivans have removable seats and benches. Would probably be a PIA though. Just thinking out loud.

That's exactly the idea! Where did the image come from?
How easily that can be done will depend on the seat's construction.
If the upholstery support comes from the metal springs, then to get anything laterally supportive by dropping the middle will require cutting and welding.
If the support is just done by building up, your position in the car be altered. The seat center can not be built up. Same with the back middle. Otherwise your helmet will be in the headliner, and the seating adjustment further back so your feet will fit in. The bolsters may hit the armrests when the seat is folded forward.
One solution will be to lower the whole seat, but this will require notching and boxing the center to clear the transmission tunnel.
upload_2019-2-19_8-52-54.png

upload_2019-2-19_8-58-11.png

I really like all of the ideas of the previous posts . I, too , have a bench high back seat . Considered same year buckets . Cores are going for $400 and up plus redone puts me over the $1200 range . And they are heavier than bench . Aftermarket seats are uncomfortable and don't come in colors I need . Solution : modify the bench seat , brilliant !

-
Back