Road Trip Prep

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
At the end of the summer I am going to OBX from Pittsburgh PA, it is about a 9 hr drive in total. I am planning on taking my 68 Dart on this trip. It is a convertible, slant six automatic that I outfitted with cruise control. I recently changed the tranny fluid and adjusted the bands. I would like everyone's opinion on what to take in order to not get stranded.

So far in the trunk I have:
Spare points, condensers, ballast resistor, voltage regulator, alternator, starter, fuel pump, lower radiator hose and the tools to change it all out.
I have a flash light, coveralls, wire with alligator clips on it, as well as an emergency highway box (one of those KD emergency ignition systems).

I plan on getting/bringing:
my tac/dwell meter, timing light, fix-a-flat, spare fan belts, distributor.

is there anything else I am forgetting or should get?

Thanks

FBA48150-9E41-4AE1-AB2C-785E9C1044C3.jpeg
Hat

Triple A & a credit card.

For long trips, I would add spare u-joints, just in case......

I give everything a check before I leave and hope I make it. Haven’t been stranded yet. Seems like your going to be hauling another car in the trunk!

Don’t overthink it and have fun!

Seems alittle overkill to me...Whats the condition of the car in general?

With a list like that, makes it sound like you don't think it will make it to the end of the street...lol

Main thing is doing a tune up about 2 weeks prior so that any bugs will show themselves before the trip
Tune-up (oil, plugs, coolant flush, trans fluid/filter, pack all the bearings, grease u-joints, check for play in the steering linkage, check brakes, battery water level and voltage, Check out the ignition system (points, cap rotor, etc)

I mainly pack hoses, belts, oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, jack, spare tire, lug wrench, 2 gallons of water, tarp, and assorted tools and hit the road

If anything outside of that happens, limping it to a gas station/parts store should be doable or calling AAA.

Always a good idea to have contacts in area of travel that know classics if you are going solo.
Just in case.
PM me & i’ll give you my cell number as i am only an hour or so away from obx and have mopar contacts closer than me.

Just my recommendation but stay away from interstates as much as possible. Its not you, its everyone else on the road. Especially during summer. Take your time and enjoy.

Alternator, had one overcharge in no-where VA, fried the wiring to the electronic ignition, local parts store had a points distributor, and a battery.
This was 20 years ago, motel room for the night. It was just a bad experience.

Learned from my brother who owned countless 442's and Hurst/Olds through the years. Pack an extra starter, alternator, regulator, belts, hoses, etc, it fits in a small tote. Carry a tool box. No worries no matter what. I went total chizzler when trying it in my A100 back in 2005 on an 1600 mile round trip up to Chicago. Bought all the spares from AutoZone. Made the round trip no issues, returned it all to the store afterwards...... Peace of mind the whole time. Advice for Outer Banks? Wax everything. Then while there, if you can, wash your car top to bottom and underneath periodically, and then real good once home. You will get salt water mist on the entire car, trust me. I took my van out there twice. The moisture is in the air all the time. And you'll get rust haze on all exposed metal. Was fun to tool around, but it (salty air) left it's mark on it. Wont be taking it out there again, what with no drag strips and all:rolleyes:

Have faith Grasshopper!

Your /6 will get 3 mpg on the trip.

It's hot, put in some Water Wetter and hit the road.

7 hrs from Baltimore to Columbus, Ohio and back in my 69 Fury ragtop a few years ago..... ballast resistor, voltage regulator, a quart of oil, spare tire, scissor jack from a Dakota, a breaker bar with 3/4" socket, a fan belt and a small set of basic tools that included a 3/8 drive ratchet, sockets from 3/8 to 5/8, 1 wrench of each socket size, 2 Philips and 2 flat blade screwdrivers, channel locks, regular and long nose pliers, small hammer and a couple rags..... didn't need any of it.

Lol. Might as well put a spare car on a trailer and pull it. That way there is room in the trunk for luggage.

I pack everything I don’t need. But the Most important is a floor jack small compact. And a good spare. Water and antifreeze. No point in changing a hose if you have no water to fill it with. You will be fine.

What ever did our parents do back in the 60s / 70s before cell phones and on long road trips?

I would take a ballast resister, AAA card, credit card & vodka. Your trip sounds like fun! you're all good with your list!

What ever did our parents do back in the 60s / 70s before cell phones and on long road trips?
They walked... I remember being on a trip with Dad... coming home and a tire went flat. He got out and put the spare on. Went another 10 mile or so and another tire blew. He had a 2nd spare, go figure. Got that one on and before we got home a 3rd tire went. He walked to buy another, walked back and put it on. Tires weren't that bad... figure they were just a bad bunch or there was something in the road. Don't know.

At the end of the summer I am going to OBX from Pittsburgh PA, it is about a 9 hr drive in total. I am planning on taking my 68 Dart on this trip. It is a convertible, slant six automatic that I outfitted with cruise control. I recently changed the tranny fluid and adjusted the bands. I would like everyone's opinion on what to take in order to not get stranded.

So far in the trunk I have:
Spare points, condensers, ballast resistor, voltage regulator, alternator, starter, fuel pump, lower radiator hose and the tools to change it all out.
I have a flash light, coveralls, wire with alligator clips on it, as well as an emergency highway box (one of those KD emergency ignition systems).

I plan on getting/bringing:
my tac/dwell meter, timing light, fix-a-flat, spare fan belts, distributor.

is there anything else I am forgetting or should get?

Thanks
I travel in my 65 Valiant wagon all the time.I pack it full of tools and camping gear and head 400 miles up into the Adirondacks to my camp 3 or 4 times a season with her.I carry a fuel pump,an old dist,an old coil,a fan belt,a voltage regulator,old radiator hoses ,( I say old because I replace these items on a regular basis before they fail and use them as spare parts) A can of good stop leak for the cooling sustem,a gallon or two of water ,A BALLAST RESISTOR , old points and rotor,old plug wires, and a can of carb cleaner.Before I go the car always gets the once over checking the rear fluid,the fluid in the 4 speed, the brake fluid,and coolant an oil change,brake inspection & adjustment.I never break down and have problems .These cars were built to drive and with proper care they will be as dependable as the day is long.Just be prepared in case.My wagon is a 170 slant with a 4 speed from a 65 Barracuda(straight 4 speed with the flange on the back) 323 7 1/4 sure grip out back and 9 in drums all around on 13 inch radials.Been driving this car for almost 30 years now .Good luck on your trip.
IMG_9903.JPG

Last edited:
Aaa card and a credit card.
Full service and inspection before you go. Install new belts and put old ones in trunk.
I dont know if i would want to carry a couple hundred extra lbs on a road trip.
I think spare fluids and the jack and spare with tools you need should be it.

My old friend(rip)
“You are insured for everything except what happens to ya”
Same idea here.

The one thing that will fail will be the part you didnt bring....

I dont recall the failure, but a guy from the states was up here with his classic car, had trouble and a few guys from the local club stepped up and got him going..

I appreciate all the input.

The car is in decent shape. I restored it and put on the road back in 2008. I put on about 18,000 miles since then with regular maintenance.

Yea there shouldnt be any problems... but the past two years this car has seen the road side a couple times... First was last year when the distributor gear decided to let go on a busy interstate out here in pittsburgh. This summer so far I had a condenser go and a lower radiator hose go. Out of all of those issues I had to get towed the time the distributor gear went, I had the condenser so I was good to go, and when the radiator hose went I had someone walk by and offer me a ride to the parts store.

Id rather be prepared. I do understand what will go wrong is something I probably am not prepared for. But something going wrong near Pittsburgh is one thing. Something going wrong in a desolate area 100's of miles from home and my garage is something else entirely.

Always a good idea to have contacts in area of travel that know classics if you are going solo.
Just in case.
PM me & i’ll give you my cell number as i am only an hour or so away from obx and have mopar contacts closer than me.

Just my recommendation but stay away from interstates as much as possible. Its not you, its everyone else on the road. Especially during summer. Take your time and enjoy.

I appreciate that. I will take you up on that one

I understand the sarcastic comment here and yes these cars were built to be driven. But, back in the 60s/70s your parents had the general population around them to help them. Today, good luck finding a shop with the knowledge you trust to work on these vehicles. Let alone a parts store that would have parts I need on the shelf.

Plus, the girlfriend is riding with me and really hasnt been brought up in the old car scene and I dont want to scare her away from it by having something bad happen when she is still a little shaky with me taking it on this trip.

At least if it breaks down due to the extra part you didn't carry, you have somebody to walk to the parts store while you stay and watch the car! Just kidding! I hope it goes smooth as silk, and it actually makes her enjoy and trust the car.

Might want to post your route, I bet you will becoming near me.
A list of FABO members with phone numbers would probably could be a life saver.

-
Back