Road Trip Prep

-
I understand the sarcastic comment here and yes these cars were built to be driven.
Thanks for see the humor in my comment. I think we have all gotten so used to instant help via cell phones etc that many have forgotten how to do thing on their own. There is a stretch in Utah and many other places where there is no service or cell service for miles and miles. I too would prepare for the worst.

Safe trip!

Might want to post your route, I bet you will becoming near me.
A list of FABO members with phone numbers would probably could be a life saver.

That is a good idea. Another member did offer to swap numbers in case something happened.

I am not entirely sure of the route. If we were going straight to OBX I would be able to tell you what roads Id take. But as it stands now we are stopping at the gf's aunts place for an over night stay to break up the trip. I know her aunt is in Virginia, just not sure where. Yet.

I see you mentioned the distributor gear, we have an extra one in the glove box of both our slant cars.

Well, I successfully completed the 1300 mile round trip from Pittsburgh PA to Williamsburgh VA, to Corolla NC, to Manheim PA back to Pittsburgh without an issue!!

trunk.jpg

virgina.jpg

obx.jpg

Surprisingly the weather was great the entire time down there and on the road. Im really happy I got the headlight relay harness and an H4 bulb conversion up front and the LED tail lamp bulbs for the rear. The headlights made a big difference at night and Im sure those brighter taillights helped with visibility in the daylight. Surprisingly the bench seat in this car is less painful than the buckets in my '16 Subaru, but thats not to say they were the most comfortable ones either, just that they were okay. Driving on the interstates werent too bad either. Yes there were times I was being passed on both sides at once, but for most of the time I kept up with traffic and didnt have anyone tail gate. Got a lot of thumbs up along the way as well.

I dont know if I would take this on a trip this far again. It was fun, but we were extremely lucky with the weather. It would of been way less enjoyable if we got stuck in standstill traffic with no A/C or stuck in the rain with the windows up and no air moving through the cabin.

the girl friend did enjoy the ride and she would also agree on the seats being better in this than my Subaru.

I did notice a few things that need addressed on the car:
-It should get a new radiator cap. Almost needed an entire gallon of coolant between the Pittsburgh and Williamsburg leg of the trip (but surprisingly didnt need really any the rest of the trip). So it could have been that the cap wasnt set right on that leg. Either way a new one should be installed

- The power steering pump is leaking (I was aware of this) and if the steering wheel isnt turned for awhile the wheel has to be yanked before it operates like it normally does. It SHOULDNT be the steering gear, I just put in a reman unit last year (but thats not to say it was done right either, I just hope it was done right). I never did anything with the pump so I will start there. I know this is the TRW pump which should have two orifices for fluid to go through depending on speed, so that function may be going out on this pump.

- it should get new weatherstripping surrounding the windows. Wind leaks through and whistles, which gets annoying. Which if wind gets through, so would water. So this is on the list to get once I get different side glass for it.

- Under hard acceleration the engine does ping, so the timing curve on the distributor needs to be addressed. Which is fine. I know where there is a distributor machine that I have been trying to get my dad to set up a time for me to purchase and pick it up. I have plenty of cars and friends that could use something like that

all in all it was an awesome trip and happy that I can finally cross taking the convertible to the beach off my bucket list.

Congrats I knew you would make it back!! I do this with my "new" cars. I replace everything that is questionable or bad for sure. Then I take it out and drive it locally. I live in the sticks so it is highway driving, not putting around the city. I have real gauges so I know what the temp is, oil pressure is, V. are. I then check ps fluid, ATF, coolant, look for any leaks anywhere.
I know my brakes are good, the rar is full of lub., I have cleaned out the gas tank and replaced the pickup tube, I have replaced th shocks, I have blown air thru the gas line, front to back or replaced it. I will make the trips down the road for 100 mi. So I am getting real comfortable with it.
I was driving in the 60's. We had points, bad biased tires, rarely broke down. Opening p dad's newly bought used 59 chevy that night in '64 left me walking. So I found out it could top out at 115. Yes there were NO cell phones, and the nearest house was 2 mi away and they were at the HS football game!! Ma and Pa wondered what me and that girl were doing wayyyy out there!!!!

Very cool! We were down in Hatteras Village with a Jeep 4x4 parked out on the beach fishing the whole week. Made a few trips up to Buxton, was on the lookout for a Dart, none spotted unfortunately. Corolla a long ways away (in beach time!) from the Village. Bet there were a lot of eyes on you the whole week?:thumbsup:

Very cool! We were down in Hatteras Village with a Jeep 4x4 parked out on the beach fishing the whole week.

That sounds like a fun trip! I had no idea where that was and had to look it up. Seems like they have a pretty cool Maritime Museum down there. Guess I have to go back and check it out!

But yea the furthest south on the island that I had the car was Kitty Hawk.

Yes there were a lot of eyes on the car. A lot of cars full of people pointing and people staring as they drove by. A couple people asking questions about it at stop lights and gas stations.

That sounds like a fun trip! I had no idea where that was and had to look it up. Seems like they have a pretty cool Maritime Museum down there. Guess I have to go back and check it out!

But yea the furthest south on the island that I had the car was Kitty Hawk.

Yes there were a lot of eyes on the car. A lot of cars full of people pointing and people staring as they drove by. A couple people asking questions about it at stop lights and gas stations.
Well worth the trip down Hwy 12, for the lighthouse in Buxton, the Museum in Hatteras, and if you have the time, the short ferry ride over to Ocracoke. We took my van (in its former life as a toy hauler) to Corrola back in 2009, drove my young kids and nephews around the area and to the beach daily, picked up beer in one of those drive-thru beer stores, had good fun there. Lots to see and do for sure.

Ocracoke is a fun place to visit, the family vacation was always there when I was a kid.
Moms 73 Imperial loaded down.
Moms gone, but still have her car.

-
Back