Roadrunner or Not

-
Thanks. No insult taken.

I did mention that point to the man at mmcdetroit but he said that is incorrect - there were Satellites and RRs built at the Ontario plant in 1968.

So, it appears that the M (if indeed car is a Satellite) is incorrect or the F (if indeed car is a RR) is incorrect.

This may always remain a mystery.

You are correct. The State issued VIN # is all jacked up. Dave with mmcdetroit confirmed that there were no B bodies manufactured in Ontario in 1968.

I have yet to be able to get anyone on the line with the CA DMV department. I'm getting a bit discouraged.

Again, will keep digging and let you know if I find out anything new.

So which is it? Same place says yes and no. It's actually no, which means the VIN is fraudulent on it's face. This really isn't that hard to grasp.

Want to know what happened in California. Someone went into the DMV with a bill of sale with your bad VIN, no title, to a 68 car that was missing the vin plate. Since it had no vin plate and the DMV must verify it, it was referred to the CHP for inspection. Nobody bothered to verify if the vin was legit or search out the SO numbers, and just moved it through the system. They checked the presented vin against the stolen vehicle database, which would never provide a hit, and whitewashed. The car was given a vin (bogus) that could have NEVER been issued to a 68 B body car. I'll guess whoever did the "work" had someone available on the inside to "help" with the process.

You clearly have a 1 of 1 car, if that's any consolation! :D

I couldn't see California going away from the pre determined vin system and trying to figure out a mopar vin. The main reason would be what if California DMV guessed a vin that was actually in use allready?

They would have there own system. Just like dodge has a different system than ford and so on...

Maybe the tag was a blank one that was stolen and then punched out. Usually they use special rivets as well.

It still doesn't seam right at all.

Your car is fine with that, there may be still a question of exactly what it is but not a question of ownership. I hope you aren't put off by some of the seemingly harsh responses here, people can be jerks on the internet where they would never be that way face to face. I think the breakdown on this thread came from the use of terms and acronyms. Some people may not know the jargon exactly and end up talking past each other.

This.
Diana, you have a Frankencar. The VIN is gone?
You won't ever know what it ever was unless, by some miracle, you get a history.
You may be getting discourage because you are going in circles to a dead end.
This could have been your car at one time. (Figuratively speaking)
http://jonesboro.craigslist.org/cto/4921806988.html

I couldn't see California going away from the pre determined vin system and trying to figure out a mopar vin. The main reason would be what if California DMV guessed a vin that was actually in use allready?

They would have there own system. Just like dodge has a different system than ford and so on...

Maybe the tag was a blank one that was stolen and then punched out. Usually they use special rivets as well.

It still doesn't seam right at all.

There was a Barracuda on Ebay last week with a Ca. VIN tag and it was the Chrysler VIN number on it. For that reason I believe her tag is legit.

This.
You won't ever know what it ever was unless, by some miracle, you get a history.

lol kind of what I was thinking, and they picked a good year to do it to, a 1968, a 69 or later would have been a little more challenging, but its done probably every other day

Speaking of Ebay, she could always buy a title, fender tag, and VIN plate and WA-LA, problem solved. There are no half steps here, either get in or get out!

So which is it? Same place says yes and no. It's actually no, which means the VIN is fraudulent on it's face. This really isn't that hard to grasp.

Want to know what happened in California. Someone went into the DMV with a bill of sale with your bad VIN, no title, to a 68 car that was missing the vin plate. Since it had no vin plate and the DMV must verify it, it was referred to the CHP for inspection. Nobody bothered to verify if the vin was legit or search out the SO numbers, and just moved it through the system. They checked the presented vin against the stolen vehicle database, which would never provide a hit, and whitewashed. The car was given a vin (bogus) that could have NEVER been issued to a 68 B body car. I'll guess whoever did the "work" had someone available on the inside to "help" with the process.

You clearly have a 1 of 1 car, if that's any consolation! :D

Aye, aye, aye. What a mess. Knowing my luck this car belonged to some Deliverance style whiskey runner dude who is still looking for it to this day.

Sure wish I had the pull to get inside the DMV records to see what really did go on. I guess I'll never know.

This.

Franken Runner actually does have a nice ring to it :finga:

Speaking of Ebay, she could always buy a title, fender tag, and VIN plate and WA-LA, problem solved. There are no half steps here, either get in or get out!

Love shopping on Ebay but given I have a Franken Runner, I wouldn't even know how to re-create the fender tag.

Next step is to visit with the Texas DMV patrol man to see if he can put another patch on it.:banghead:

Sure wish I had the pull to get inside the DMV records to see what really did go on. I guess I'll never know.

You probably don't want to do all THAT. Then you could end up without the car.

I have not been able to get through to a real person anyway so may just leave this mystery buried.:angel12:

I think I would. As long as it is legal on paper, I would leave well enough alone.

I have not been able to get through to a real person anyway so may just leave this mystery buried.:angel12:
Yup. - Sounds to me as though you've done your due diligence on the car and so far everything you've found (with those tags) points towards the car having been legal in California. I'd keep a record of what all you went through trying to trace it down in case there's any question about your efforts in the future.

There was a Barracuda on Ebay last week with a Ca. VIN tag and it was the Chrysler VIN number on it. For that reason I believe her tag is legit.

But I thought it was established that the VIN in question couldn't possibly exist. Doesn't it show production in Ontario when none were ever made there?

Here's what I think:

I believe that the car in question here is a real Roadrunner. But...I think it may have been wrecked hard at one time or otherwise salvaged and the VIN plate, fender tag and possibly broadcast sheet ended up on a Satellite. Roadrunner numbers are worth something...Satellite numbers...not so much.

Yup. - Sounds to me as though you've done your due diligence on the car and so far everything you've found (with those tags) points towards the car having been legal in California. I'd keep a record of what all you went through trying to trace it down in case there's any question about your efforts in the future.

Done!

But I thought it was established that the VIN in question couldn't possibly exist. Doesn't it show production in Ontario when none were ever made there?

Here's what I think:

I believe that the car in question here is a real Roadrunner. But...I think it may have been wrecked hard at one time or otherwise salvaged and the VIN plate, fender tag and possibly broadcast sheet ended up on a Satellite. Roadrunner numbers are worth something...Satellite numbers...not so much.

As soon as it quits raining every weekend down in East Texas, we'll pull the car out and try to locate engine, tranny and whatever other numbers might tell the story on the car. At that point, I'll contact the Texas DMV Officer to see if they will issue a Texas VIN Plate.

Promise to keep you all posted.

Again, thank you so very much for all the time you've spent trying to help me with this issue. Appreciate you all!

Damn right. They say it's legal then it's legal. Go enjoy the car.

Will do next chance we get. We have really been getting a lot of rain this Spring and it seems to fall every weekend. Not complaining because our 100+ degree days will soon be upon us.

I bought a 68 Roadrunner right off the showroom floor. The only engines were the 383 and hemi. That chrome strip across the trunk was not available until 68-1/2. I sold it for $600 ten years later. I considered keeping it a few more months so I could take it back to my high school reunion, but I bought a 280Z instead. Oh well.

I bought a 68 Roadrunner right off the showroom floor. The only engines were the 383 and hemi. That chrome strip across the trunk was not available until 68-1/2. I sold it for $600 ten years later. I considered keeping it a few more months so I could take it back to my high school reunion, but I bought a 280Z instead. Oh well.

Oh man. Hate to hear that. Thanks for the info, though. That helps knowing that the chrome strip didn't come in until mid-68.

I have a confession to make also. I've owned a 280zx, a 300zx and a 350 6-speed. Sure did like them, especially the 350. Sold it when we moved to the country and had to buy a truck.

-
Back