RobKat Progress!

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Long awaited progress on RobKat. I got the Speedway five lug large rotor conversion on. It uses the GM metric caliper. To my surprise, the kit came with Wilwood rotors. Though they are standard replacement, they are pretty nice pieces.

FIVE LUG1.jpg

FIVE LUG2.jpg

Long awaited progress on RobKat. I got the Speedway five lug large rotor conversion on. It uses the GM metric caliper. To my surprise, the kit came with Wilwood rotors. Though they are standard replacement, they are pretty nice pieces.

So you want it to go and stop both huh?
There's a psychological diagnosis for that you know.:D
Those look like a nice setup.

So you want it to go and stop both huh?
There's a psychological diagnosis for that you know.:D
Those look like a nice setup.

It is real nice......except the brake hoses are too short. Gotta find some.

It is real nice......except the brake hoses are too short. Gotta find some.

Such is the way with what we do.
You could ask me for just about any little bolt washer, hose, plug, wingnut, pin, bushing, clip or accessory part and I could tell you where it is in this town.

Same in my town except only if I don't need it :BangHead:
Looking good and stopping good, nice combination!:thumbsup:
RobKat? Can you point me back to where I can read about this?

Such is the way with what we do.
You could ask me for just about any little bolt washer, hose, plug, wingnut, pin, bushing, clip or accessory part and I could tell you where it is in this town.

Gm metric calipers? I have them on my 55 Dodge. What vehicle do you have them on? Think that I used a toronado flex hose..... I can get you the specs if you want.

Gm metric calipers? I have them on my 55 Dodge. What vehicle do you have them on? Think that I used a toronado flex hose..... I can get you the specs if you want.

I found some hoses that will work and have them coming, but I thank you.

This is the car. A 76 Mercury Bobcat. This was right after it was unloaded off the trailer. I've done a good bit to it since then. It's getting a 99 Explorer 5.0 roller motor and a world class T5. I already have the 8" rear under it with 3.40 gears. Think of it as a Fox Mustang, only 1500 pounds lighter.

ROBKAT1.jpg

ROBKAT2.jpg

ROBKAT3.jpg

ROBKAT4.jpg

my advice is don't change a thing to the looks! Put the crazy-est motor you can stuff in it and a quiet exhaust and take people's money lol
I like it !!

my advice is don't change a thing to the looks! Put the crazy-est motor you can stuff in it and a quiet exhaust and take people's money lol
I like it !!

The engine and transmission I already have built and ready!

well I guess I'm liking this big breaks idea more and more !

It's a 1999 Zero deck height, factory forged piston Explorer engine with a custom ground Oregon hydraulic roller. It's a GT40P engine. Has about the best cast iron heads Ford ever made for the small block. It should be pretty snappy. I modified the Explorer serpentine drive to accept alternator only. I alsu used the Explorer water pump, as that is about 1.5" shorter than the Fox Mustang stuff everybody uses for Pinto/Bobcat swaps. I did that, because almost everybody hacks the radiator support collar out and puts the radiator between the collar and grill. Eliminating the collar makes the front end floppy as hell. This one is going to be nice, like the factory had a V8 option.

5.0 2.jpg

5.0.jpg

BELT DRIVE FRONT.jpg

BOBCAT VALVE TRAIN.jpg

ENGINE TRANSMISSION.jpg

And I have also changed the serpentine drive since that picture was taken. I modified the driver's side bracket to wrap a longer belt on around the water pump, as that first design didn't capture enough of the pulley. I had to dig for the picture, but here it what it looks like now.

ROBKAT BELT DRIVE.jpg

Well, it comes down to horsepower vs weight ratio, and it looks as if you have a good one :)
Nice project! Should be fun. When I was in elementary school, my aunt/uncle had one. 4 cyl 4 speed. Theirs was green.

Well thank you for sharing all that, that's totally cool and yeah I was looking at that first picture thinking hmmm? But like you said that new formation looks much Superior.
Me personally I'm totally digging all of it. :thumbsup:

Well, it comes down to horsepower vs weight ratio, and it looks as if you have a good one :)
Nice project! Should be fun. When I was in elementary school, my aunt/uncle had one. 4 cyl 4 speed. Theirs was green.

Desktop Dyno says 320 HP and 375 LB FT. Even close to that will be good fun in a 2500 pound car.

They are/were good cars. They got a bad rap with the exploding gas tank thing. It was blown WAY out of proportion by the media. They actually competed against the Japanese econo boxes of the day very well. Just look how long Ford made the 2300 engine and how many vehicles they used it in. It's only been a few years since they stopped putting it in the Ranger.

Hey! Progress! Excellent!

Do they make a Lexan rear window by chance? Just wondering....

Cool set up, Rob.
I really like the fact that you're going outside of the box with this build............
The serpentine improvement will be much better.
I'd love to go for a ride when you get it on the road and sorted out, it should get a lot of smiles per gallon!

I found some hoses that will work and have them coming, but I thank you.

This is the car. A 76 Mercury Bobcat. This was right after it was unloaded off the trailer. I've done a good bit to it since then. It's getting a 99 Explorer 5.0 roller motor and a world class T5. I already have the 8" rear under it with 3.40 gears. Think of it as a Fox Mustang, only 1500 pounds lighter.

View attachment 1715104317

View attachment 1715104318

View attachment 1715104319

View attachment 1715104320
Nice and also a nice 65 in the backround.

-
Back