Rocker arm measurements

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can someone please do me a favor? I need some measurements for a slant six adjustable rocker arm. Total length from the tip of the valve stem pad to outside the end of the adjuster hole, going in a STRAIGHT line through the center of the shaft hole. Distance from the center of the shaft hole to the end of the valve stem pad. Then finally, the distance from the center of the shaft hole to the outside end of the adjuster hole. I would measure mine, but I have already adjusted the valves and put the valve cover back on.

Thank you.

If noone beats me to it I will get it for you tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ok here is what I got for you. The way I measured the center out measurement was by measuring the center hole I got .880 then subtracting. 440 fro the total because I measured from the outside of the hole. I figured it would be more accurate this way.
I got total length 3.474
Center of hole to the end of pad 2.075
Center to outside of adjusting nut 1.36
If you add the numbers up I'm. .037 off some where If that is not close enough I can remeasure no problem at all. I include some pics just to make sure this is exactly what your asking for. Let me know if you need anything else.

20190305_160059.jpg

20190305_160046.jpg

20190305_160437.jpg

20190305_160421.jpg

20190305_160550.jpg

Screenshot_20190305-161627_Gallery.jpg

20190305_160603.jpg

Screenshot_20190305-161903_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190305-161809_Gallery.jpg

20190305_160035.jpg

Man that is great, thank you. One thing though. And I hate to even ask for more, but if you can measure again from the tip of the valve stem pad to the outside adjuster HOLE on the rocker itself, not the adjuster, that would be the measurement I am lookin for. Also if you can, the width of the rocker shaft hole from one side to the other. I think that will do it. Again, this may all be for naught, but if it's not, we might have a viable alternative for a ductile iron adjustable rocker arm for the slant six.

Ok here is what I got for you. The way I measured the center out measurement was by measuring the center hole I got .880 then subtracting. 440 fro the total because I measured from the outside of the hole. I figured it would be more accurate this way.
I got total length 3.474
Center of hole to the end of pad 2.075
Center to outside of adjusting nut 1.36
If you add the numbers up I'm. .037 off some where If that is not close enough I can remeasure no problem at all. I include some pics just to make sure this is exactly what your asking for. Let me know if you need anything else.

View attachment 1715298965

View attachment 1715298966

View attachment 1715298967

View attachment 1715298968

View attachment 1715298969

View attachment 1715298970

View attachment 1715298972

View attachment 1715298973

View attachment 1715298974

View attachment 1715298975

Man that is great, thank you. One thing though. And I hate to even ask for more, but if you can measure again from the tip of the valve stem pad to the outside adjuster HOLE on the rocker itself, not the adjuster, that would be the measurement I am lookin for. Also if you can, the width of the rocker shaft hole from one side to the other. I think that will do it. Again, this may all be for naught, but if it's not, we might have a viable alternative for a ductile iron adjustable rocker arm for the slant six.
Yea man that's no problem I will get it in the morning for you. So by the "outside" do you want me to remove the adjuster and just measure from the outside of the threads to the tip of the pad?

Yea man that's no problem I will get it in the morning for you. So by the "outside" do you want me to remove the adjuster and just measure from the outside of the threads to the tip of the pad?

The outside of the ROCKER where the adjuster goes through to the valve tip.

Let me tell you what I found. I got a set of Buick 263 straight eight rockers. They have a total length from valve tip to the outside of the rocker at the adjuster of 3.604. You got 3.474 measuring from the outside of the adjuster, not the outside of the rocker. It looks like there's "around" 1/4" from the outside of the adjuster to the outside of the rocker, which would put the measurements of the two rockers REAL close that way. I have made the other measurements you did, but we are going to have to find some way to get common ground on the measurements, because the Buick rockers ride on a 13/16 shaft and the slant rockers on a 7/8 shaft, so that's throwing the measurements off. I think I might be on to something. If so, Rocker Arm Specialties can work with these, because they are ductile iron and not some bullcrappery folded up sheet metal rockers. My plan is, if they are close, I will send Gary at RAS ONE rocker and see if he can modify it like I want. That would be honing it to 7/8, possibly bushing them if there's enough material and changing the ratio to 1.6. Wouldn't that be neato? I'm no mathematician, but if one of you numbers guys can come up with a way we can find common ground on these measurements with the two different shaft diameters, I would be grateful. Here is the Buick rocker.

BYOOWACK ROCKER.jpg

Yea buddy I see what you mean I will those in the morning and let you know.

Yea buddy I see what you mean I will those in the morning and let you know.

Like I said, it might be all for nuthin, but what if it's not? This is what hot roddin is all about.

I can send you a slant rocker arm if that will help. One question though, how available are the Buick rockers?
-Matt

The outside of the ROCKER where the adjuster goes through to the valve tip.

Let me tell you what I found. I got a set of Buick 263 straight eight rockers. They have a total length from valve tip to the outside of the rocker at the adjuster of 3.604. You got 3.474 measuring from the outside of the adjuster, not the outside of the rocker. It looks like there's "around" 1/4" from the outside of the adjuster to the outside of the rocker, which would put the measurements of the two rockers REAL close that way. I have made the other measurements you did, but we are going to have to find some way to get common ground on the measurements, because the Buick rockers ride on a 13/16 shaft and the slant rockers on a 7/8 shaft, so that's throwing the measurements off. I think I might be on to something. If so, Rocker Arm Specialties can work with these, because they are ductile iron and not some bullcrappery folded up sheet metal rockers. My plan is, if they are close, I will send Gary at RAS ONE rocker and see if he can modify it like I want. That would be honing it to 7/8, possibly bushing them if there's enough material and changing the ratio to 1.6. Wouldn't that be neato? I'm no mathematician, but if one of you numbers guys can come up with a way we can find common ground on these measurements with the two different shaft diameters, I would be grateful. Here is the Buick rocker.

View attachment 1715299080

I had a sneaky feelin u were doing something like this, just not w/ a buick rocker.
U SLY DOG !

I was searching for something along those lines, I think there was an IH rocker as well, but the proportions were off to work...................

I can send you a slant rocker arm if that will help. One question though, how available are the Buick rockers?
-Matt

Yeah. That's the only kicker. They are kinda hard to find. IF they work and IF people will be generous with them, you'll have four
-Matt

@dartfreak75 is sending me a whole set, so I have that covered. My stupid *** would have a set had I not sold them sometime ago. Live and learn. Soon as I get the set he's sending, I'll post up some real world measurements. If I think it will work, I will send a couple to Gary and see what he can do with them. Since there are 16, I have four extras for him to play around with to find the weak points. If he can get the geometry right, I will send him the whole set.

It would require moving the rocker shaft around a bit, but I ground part of the "bushing" out of one, & put another bushing "saddled" up against the remaining valve-tip end of the orig bush., ends up a 1.7/1.75-ish rocker. Haven't finished one yet to see the difficulty w/the oil passages yet etc................

I remember when I was buying my duster there was this really nice white duster with a slant 6 in it and I mean it was Primo. He wanted 3K for it and I had a $2,500 budget. I still offered him the 3K but some kid had called him ahead of time and was first in line. I kept on him but the kid finally came up the money and bought it. A year later it was for sale again and I talked to the kid and he had someone make a bigger cam for him? I said so you had the cam out and you put a different one in? He said no the guy didn't take it out he just welded on top of each lobe! He said it was badass and sounded great! I was thinking to myself oh my goodness NOOooooo!!??

I remember when I was buying my duster there was this really nice white duster with a slant 6 in it and I mean it was Primo. He wanted 3K for it and I had a $2,500 budget. I still offered him the 3K but some kid had called him ahead of time and was first in line. I kept on him but the kid finally came up the money and bought it. A year later it was for sale again and I talked to the kid and he had someone make a bigger cam for him? I said so you had the cam out and you put a different one in? He said no the guy didn't take it out he just welded on top of each lobe! He said it was badass and sounded great! I was thinking to myself oh my goodness NOOooooo!!??
I knew a Guy like that, "well,...I rebuilt My engine last night".......:eek:!!!.......:rolleyes:...............

It would require moving the rocker shaft around a bit, but I ground part of the "bushing" out of one, & put another bushing "saddled" up against the remaining valve-tip end of the orig bush., ends up a 1.7/1.75-ish rocker. Haven't finished one yet to see the difficulty w/the oil passages yet etc................

That's pretty good ingenuity. I wouldn't have thought of that. I was thinking more about getting away from the folded up sheet metal rocker arm. Do you have any pictures of what you did?

No pics yet, haven't really had time to do much of anything most of the last year or so, just little bites here and there.

RRR, Why don't you want to use the stock rockers? What you are trying to do seems like a lot of effort for little to no gain. If you were using a readily available rocker, and trying to get a higher ratio (IE 1.6) I could see more sense to it. Stock slant six rockers are getting harder to find (new), but I think the buicks would be even harder to find.
PS: I think at one time RAS did have 1.6 rockers for the slant.

I didn't read all the mumbo-jumbo but is this just going to improve geometry? Or is there a reason your just not getting a different cam?

I didn't read all the mumbo-jumbo but is this just going to improve geometry? Or is there a reason your just not getting a different cam?

This is for a future mumbo jumbo 225 build. I want something besides folded sheet metal rocker arms.

Without checking the math, it is possible, just offset boring the shaft hole the 1/16 inch might increase the ratio enough.

There appears to be enough meat to do at least that, if not bush them as well. I will have to have a slant rocker first. Have some on the way.

-
Back