Rocker arm play

-
Just for info.... Do you know what head gasket is in there? Maybe a standard Felpro gasket from a Felpro kit? And if this is what is happening in your engine, I would expect to be able to rock the effected rockers sideways a bit... as in you can rotate them a bit from one side to the other along the axis of the shaft.

OK.. if from the standard Felpro kits, then it is probably an 8553PT which is around .050" thick. (The Felpro 1008's are .039" but don't come in the kits as far as I know.)

The original would probably be somewhere in the .020 to .030" range in rough numbers. So you may have raised the heads somewhere in the .020-.030" range above stock.

If you have this particular issue, then maybe think about changing to the Mr Gasket 1121G's at .028' thick. It'll help your CR and lower RPM torque too. It would not be any other issue unless you have a high CR engine already (like in the 10:1 SCR range).

8553pt is the part number on the gaskets. They are 54000. Stock is 26000.

I would have never thought the head gaskets could be causing this. Wow.

Hey that is how we learn sometimes LOL. There are a lot of parts stackups here: head machining, block deck height variation, head gasket, stamped rockers' tolerances, pushrods, lifter, cam..... the tightest thing on tolerance is the rocker shaft diameter.

BTW, is your cam a regrind by any chance? If it is, and the base circle was lowered in the grinding process, then that is a great source of extra slop in the cam-lifter-pushrod-rocker overall length.

-
Back