Rocker arm problem or something else?

-

Elwood blues

Reaction score
So when I tore down my 2005 5.7 hemi I found a couple of the pushrods to be kinda smooshed compared to some of the others. Is this from play in the rocker arm or something else.

20190203_181949.jpg

I have a 5.7 Hemi in my 300, and never had it apart. But sometimes a few lifters get noisy at idle. Pretty sure it's a factory roller cam. There is a Chrysler 300 Forum, I 'll bet those guys would know.

Not only is the pushrod toast but so is the rocker arm that pushrod was partnered with! Even the new Hemi is not exempt from wear when it comes to an engines choice of oil. Roller equipped engines make it that much more difficult for pushrods to "rotate", therefore the end result is what you have. Chose an oil or additive that could reduce this "scuffing" force.
If you can, check the condition of the camshaft and the rollers, there next on the list of failing parts.

Not only is the pushrod toast but so is the rocker arm that pushrod was partnered with! Even the new Hemi is not exempt from wear when it comes to an engines choice of oil. Roller equipped engines make it that much more difficult for pushrods to "rotate", therefore the end result is what you have. Chose an oil or additive that could reduce this "scuffing" force.
If you can, check the condition of the camshaft and the rollers, there next on the list of failing parts.
Would that mean an oil high in Zinc, such as Rotella?

What do I need to look for on the rollers, not worried about cam cause putting a new one in.

More importantly look at the condition of the cam lobes of the "used" cam, (if the used lifters were a consideration of being reused) if the used cam lobes were in "pristine condition" the corresponding lifters should be OK. If the used cam lobes are chipping, flaking or wearing, don't use those lifters.

I have not gotten the used cam out yet I will keep posted on what the wear is on it when I pull it

Well finally got the cam and and no grooves or major wear on it. Still looks to be in good shape. However I found out why this engine was in the junkyard. Spun both 5 and 7 rod bearing to the point where 5 was completely gone and 7 was barely anything left to pull out. Needless to say crankshaft is junk

-
Back