Rocker Arm Shim Alternative?

-

Red_Duster

Reaction score
Hey guys. In a bit of a pickle. Got my Promaxx heads all bolted up just in time for the New Years races. Only problem is my rocker arm alignment is a little off from what it was and I can’t order any and get them here in time. Doesn’t seem like there is much to them, is there a hardware store alternative? anything come to mind?
Anyone in Northern California have a pack or two to sell?

Cut up a soda can? How far is it off?

I did the soda can for shim thing . I`m thinkin springs on the free side like 426 hemi. Or the slide clamps , where u set the pedestal side and just run the clamp up to the rocker , much like the springs would b done .
Sure would be easier than shims and spacers , that was the worst ***** of my build I think. Would have to try it and look at the oil control tho----

1 ID AL tube, cut (very carefully and grind) to fit? How much slop we talking? on an LA there is little slopt to begin with as the shaft retainers pretty much take up all the slop. I had to use maybe 6 .010 shims total when I got my 340 mechanicals snug and that was probably overkill.

Nothing wrong with STEEL soup cans either. "Aircraft snips." Red/ left/ port the "short words" go together, and green/ right/ starboard "the long words" all go together

16095_2.jpg

Definitely need pictures to see how far out the alignment is.

All the rocker shaft shims I have ever seen or used were made of hardened steel, not a piece of crap that could disintegrate.

Mike at B 3 racing could fix you up.... but... if you're in a hurry use copper pipe

You can cut it, split it, tap it flat, drill the hole and then hammer one side thinner...trim and make 9 more.

Ok, so I got some shims at ace and did one rocker. First picture is how far off enter the adjuster we’re to the rods. I shimmed it over. Second picture shows after shimming that now the rocker isn’t centered over the valve, and this one is the worst.

merit: pics uploaded reverse of what I stated.

8ECC6B84-B92F-4C18-B9C3-E7C5D3DBB5D3.jpeg

7FE0B7C1-BB3A-4D77-AAF6-CAA9F1FFB4E8.jpeg

The manufacturer said stock rockers would be fine, and since these cranes were on the 906s, I figured that would work. Is it too far off center on the valves now to run it?

You might have to grind a little for pushrod clearance perhaps. I know that means a disassembly and cleaning.

I wouldn’t run it like that. R u sure ur rockers r in the proper position as in intake on intake and ex on ex? Can u post a pic from farther back so we can see the whole set up on the 1 head? Kim. Any progress?

Last edited:
-
Back