Rocker arm torque

-

Eric Mulay

Reaction score
Anyone know the torque spec for 1997 magnum 360 rocker arms?
These are new heads lifters and cam.
I have not done the break in yet because the lifters are loud.

Plenty of oil pressure and oil coming out of the push rods.

So.. Um thinking maybe I have them too loose or to tight
20200909_104005_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I think 21Ft Lbs. Shafts are 30 which you don't have.

No they are not. That's a misprint that's in a LOT of service manuals and elsewhere. The shaft bolts on an LA are the same size as the rocker bolts on a Magnum. 5/16. You torque that to 30 LB FT and see what you get. SNAP The actual torque spec on the LA shaft bolts is 15-17 LB FT. That's a dangerous misprint too.

Last edited:
No they are not. That's a misprint that's in a LOT of service manuals and elsewhere. The shaft bolts on an LA are the same size as the rocker bolts on a Magnum. 5/16. You torque that to 30 LB FT and see what you get. SNAP The actual torque spec on the LA shaft bolts is 15-17 LB FT. That's a dangerous misprint too.
So... What is it? 15 to 17?
Or 21?

So... What is it? 15 to 17?
Or 21?

From what I have found the spec is 21. Been looking for a while. That's the only spec that keeps comin up. I sure wouldn't go any farther than that. It would probably do you good to get a service manual for something with that year model Magnum in it so you would have all of that information in one place.

It doesn’t matter one bit if they’re 15, 17, or 21 lb/ft. If they’re tight and making noise you have another problem. Likely preload on the lifters is wrong.

To add, if it’s a magnum roller cam, there’s no reason to break it in.

It doesn’t matter one bit if they’re 15, 17, or 21 lb/ft. If they’re tight and making noise you have another problem. Likely preload on the lifters is wrong.

Since he said he may have them too tight or too lose, I was assuming he didn't have them tightened completely. He may not have known they do tighten down all the way. That would certainly make for a noisy valve train. lol

Last edited:
Tighten it until it breaks and back it off a half turn! :lol:

Well I guess I better back off on my 340 Shafts a bit as they are at 30.

I would do more than that. I would remove the bolts and shafts, check to insure the shafts aren't crushed out of round and then replace the bolts. They are for sure stretched. Hopefully that's all.

-
Back