Rocker shaft oil hole.

-
Oiling holes face down and pointing to the outside of the engine.

Down, how else would it oil pumped into it?
I think your on the wrong hole. The circled one

Screenshot_20230209_175222_Chrome.jpg

This sounds dirty

Down... if you put them up you will have a well lubricated valve cover and need to buy new rocker arms

Last edited:
i know there's a notch on the end of the shaft and isn't that used to determine location?

like the notch goes to the front on the left bank and to the rear on the right bank?

i know there's a notch on the end of the shaft and isn't that used to determine location?

like the notch goes to the front on the left bank and to the rear on the right bank?
It's not on all of them so I always just use the oil hole orientation to tell somebody how to do it.

It's not on all of them so I always just use the oil hole orientation to tell somebody how to do it.
thanks for clearing that up. TIL.

i just looked at my other FSM (1975) and it makes no mention of the notches, but does describe the oil hole orientation the same as the '68 and as you have.

Down... if you put them up you will have a well lubricated valve cover and need to buy new rocker arms
I bought a 71 police interceptor 440 from a guy in the AF back in 1982. Engine made a lot of noise from the top end. Tore it down and found the rocker shafts were upside down and bone dry. The shaft was deeply scored and blueish in color. Yep, whoever worked on it did not know about Mopar shaft orientation!

-
Back