rocker shafts

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Whats the diff between non adjustable and adjustable rocker shafts? barring the banana groove: finish only?

Oiling holes placed diff and more of them to feed adjuster and load side of rocker, hence oil holes down and toward the spring.
Then there are diff levels of shafts, dependent of rocker style, needle bearing etc..

arent all oil holes down and toward the spring?
Not really. The top 2 shafts are for hydraulics, bottom one is from a 273 with mechanical rockers. The oil holes are located higher up the shaft. This pair only had one set of oiling holes, some had 2? Also, there aren't any notches on the ends of the shaft.

20170220_142531.jpg

If the holes in the 273 shafts are for oiling the adjusters (more than the bottom of the rocker), these had been installed backwards on the heads I pulled them from.

If the holes in the 273 shafts are for oiling the adjusters (more than the bottom of the rocker), these had been installed backwards on the heads I pulled them from.
it would seem to me, where the shiny spots are is where the contact pressure is greatest, and that is precisely where the oiling holes should be. Take it from a guy who had an engine trashed by some numbskull dealer mechanic doing warranty work.

Here is a picture of a stock 273 shaft for mechanical flat tappet and adjustable rocker arms. One oil hole and a groove for the load area and a second larger hold for the push rod adjuster (feeds oil down the adjuster into the pushrod cup.
273 shaft 3.jpg

W2 shafts for use on with offset drilled blocks. Three oil holes. Same 2 holes and groove for the load side and pushrod cup as the 273 shaft above as well as a third hole on the valve side to oil the valve stems at higher RPM.

P1040361.JPG

W2 shafts for use on with offset drilled blocks. Three oil holes. Same 2 holes and groove for the load side and pushrod cup as the 273 shaft above as well as a third hole on the valve side to oil the valve stems at higher RPM.

View attachment 1715088029
it appears to be a smaller hole for the valve spring/ valve oiling hole, is it smaller? What sizes are all the holes?

Solid cam engines....Load side, as I said..."factory" is down toward valve spring with the other hole placed higher on intake side for adjuster oiling.

Throughout the years and manufactures...you'll find them in slightly diff placement...some down and angled toward valve... and that's it....like the MP bushed for over 7000 rpm adjustable rockers like these...

What rocker you're using, now that should be figured in.

20170831_183231.jpg

20170831_183238.jpg

20170831_183246.jpg

20170831_183339.jpg

20170831_183351.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff here! Id be running stock 273's w/stock 64 shafts or MP cast AL (Crane Golds...in blue) with some adjustables replacements...Ill need to look at my shafts now....can you mod hydros to work with adjustables with a few well placed holes...since I got a few sets...?

roller rockers with needle bearings use a hard chromed shaft. and a hole on the bottom and a hole on the top

Solid cam engines....Load side, as I said..."factory" is down toward valve spring with the other hole placed higher on intake side for adjuster oiling.

Throughout the years and manufactures...you'll find them in slightly diff placement...some down and angled toward valve... and that's it....like the MP bushed for over 7000 rpm adjustable rockers like these...

What rocker you're using, now that should be figured in.

View attachment 1715088056

View attachment 1715088057

View attachment 1715088058

View attachment 1715088059

View attachment 1715088060
There's the accurate answer,for long-term longevity....

-
Back