rockers on shaft moving fore/aft

-

grouchyandugly

Reaction score
just got this /6 about 2 months ago. Today i adjusted my valves (hot): .011 & .021 (my choice). i found that cyl 5 and cyl 6 rockers were moving fore/aft approx 1/8 or more, but staying on the pushrod, etc. (1966 Valiant, AT)

question: is this "normal", or should if look in my mirror and SCREAM!!??
stay safe. thanks

Where is the .125 coming from? You can tweak the fat ring spacer to get more control of that walk. Just shift the alignment at the parting seam. -|_
DSC04213-1024x768.jpg

Is some amount of lateral movement or offset from the valve stem necessary in regards to wear, lubrication, or valve rotation? Just curious.

Is some amount of lateral movement or offset from the valve stem necessary in regards to wear, lubrication, or valve rotation? Just curious.
“Necessary?” No. There is some room as delivered from the factory that grows over time, AKA, miles. It’s not a harmful thing to have a little bit. It’ll live another 1,000,000 miles or 50 years before anything remotely happens.

Sure, you can add shims if it'll help you to sleep better at night.Keep in mind, though, that approximately 73 gazillion Slant-6 engines were built without any such shims, and they tended to go and go and go and go for hundreds of thousands of miles and lots of years.

-
Back