Roller cam. Hydraulic vs. Mechanical in a 340

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've read that hydraulic roller lifters sometimes have issues in the 340.
Does the same issue occur when using a mechanical roller lifter in the 340?

Is there a way to tell if the lifter bore is going to work before actually buying and installing the roller lifter?

Is there a way to tell if the lifter bore is going to work before actually buying and installing the roller lifter?
Take a pic of the lifter bores, check the counter sink of each.

You guys are saying solids is a go? I have no problem with solid.

I just went thru all this crap Hyd roller vs solid lifters.
Save yourself a bunch of grief and money and go with a good non roller solid lifter for the steet.
I recently did a street 340 build with a Comp full Hyd roller top end and the lifters have been nothing but problems from the start.
I am sure there are other forum members that will tell you they have no issues with rollers and I am confident that is true. Myself unless I am building an all out race engine I will nevvvvvver put any type of roller in a street application again.

You guys are saying solids is a go? I have no problem with solid.
There should be no problem with a solid lifter cam. Use today’s lifters, not the dumb bells.

Have not encountered this.
Perhaps a small base circle cam?
IDK myself. Same deal. Never encountered it.

I just went thru all this crap Hyd roller vs solid lifters.
Save yourself a bunch of grief and money and go with a good non roller solid lifter for the steet.
I recently did a street 340 build with a Comp full Hyd roller top end and the lifters have been nothing but problems from the start.
I am sure there are other forum members that will tell you they have no issues with rollers and I am confident that is true. Myself unless I am building an all out race engine I will nevvvvvver put any type of roller in a street application again.

A solid roller in the street is a maximum effort (and expenditure) on the street. It is a little hard to justify by some point of view. A Hyd. roller, not so much, but! Often wasted (for the most part) in heavy cars. While there is a performance advantage, I normally see it wasted with full interior, spare tire, big audio equipment, etc...
Not in lightened cars with a spartan interior.

Since my ’00-5.9 was a roller, for me it was just a cam purchase since the rollers were reused and the heads/springs could handle the cam. The cam is small. Torque is the focus.

A good well thought out EZ breathing solid lifter cam will work excellent.

I'm seriously thinking of putting a solid cam (non-roller) in my 340, just not sure how big to go. All my cars when I was younger were solid cammed.

Jeff

Use either a morel street roller, or solid body .. or even low oil band style

There should be no problem with a solid lifter cam. Use today’s lifters, not the dumb bells.

Perhaps a small base circle cam?
IDK myself. Same deal. Never encountered it.

A solid roller in the street is a maximum effort (and expenditure) on the street. It is a little hard to justify by some point of view. A Hyd. roller, not so much, but! Often wasted (for the most part) in heavy cars. While there is a performance advantage, I normally see it wasted with full interior, spare tire, big audio equipment, etc...
Not in lightened cars with a spartan interior.

Since my ’00-5.9 was a roller, for me it was just a cam purchase since the rollers were reused and the heads/springs could handle the cam. The cam is small. Torque is the focus.

A good well thought out EZ breathing solid lifter cam will work excellent.
Thanks, you guys just saved me some money and headaches. I'm just building on paper right now.

Often wasted (for the most part) in heavy cars. While there is a performance advantage, I normally see it wasted with full interior, spare tire, big audio equipment, etc...
Not in lightened cars with a spartan interior..

Would you mind expanding on that? I have hyd. roller in my 418, but I'm fairly ignorant on this topic

Would you mind expanding on that? I have hyd. roller in my 418, but I'm fairly ignorant on this topic
What did you expect from Hyd. roller cam?
Did you compare the lobes (lift rates) between Hyd. & Hyd. roller?
Did you dyno the engine?
Do you rev past 6K?
What is the intended purpose of the vehicle?

PO built the engine for street/strip. It’s well beyond anything I would have done honestly

The roller Hyd. lifter is heavy and gives up when the rpm rises high. A loose of performance occurs. At the expense of the set up, a solid roller is better and much more productive.

Many people use a Hyd.roller thinking there going to rev to 6500+ and stomp some butt into the floor. They get very upset when there 3600+ lbs. heavy thing is loaded up with gas and the driver, now 4K plus.

See the math? It gets worse in a stroker engine that has stock Edelbrock heads & ports. So much is left on the table while trying to move fat *** (car) down the road.

They think it pulls but when a lesser engine stomps there hind 1/4’s into a mud hole.....

I’d like to add that this of what I see and speak about is thought of by the car owner as a bad *** engine they think is just about unbeatable.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG!

The Hyd. roller cam engine can make for a great power plant for a street strip car.

The only thing I have to add is I run the EDM lifter. I originally thought that due to the hole being so small it would quickly become clogged and of no real use. After tearing it down at least three times for other reasons I was pleasantly surprised to find every one clear. I would use an EDM again.

-
Back