roller lifter tie bars

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Does anyone make the V shaped Mopar LA adapted roller lifter tie bars? I cant find them anywhere sold sperately. would need to be open ended or I could cut them...link?
F144774141.jpg

Does anyone make the V shaped Mopar LA adapted roller lifter tie bars? I cant find them anywhere sold sperately. link?
View attachment 1715185859
I think a gentleman associated with Mr Norms does. I want to say I got one of his cards at the National Mopar show in Mn. Last week. His booth was right beside Mr. Norm I will look and see if I have his card. Not totally sure he was with Norm tho.

This brings up a question in my mind: What is the tolerance on the angle of the wheel to the cam? The wheel axle being perfectly parallel to the cam's axis seems like the ideal, but there are going to be variations. Is there a bit of a crown on the wheel or lobe to allow for these variations?

I think they are pretty close to parallel but slight variations would be tolerated as your still skating on a thin layer of oil. Nothing that can't be controlled by a link bar. I dont believe any crown exists anywhere to keep the contact area maximized.

Just thinking about the alignment forces in play..... After more thought, aren't the rollers self-aligning on the cam lobe ramps? Wouldn't any twist would be fought by the pressure from the valve springs? Seems like the links should be a bit loose to allow for this 'auto-alignment'.

Which begs the question of why have the links at all, as long as the valves don't float....??? Or can they spin around freely when on the base circle?

(Seems like if the axle and/or centerline of the lifter was a bit offset from the line passing through the center of the cam then it would essentially be self-aligning... sort of a caster effect. Not possible to guarantee that on an older block I suppose.)

Sounds right, the straight link bars I have are very close tolerance, no play. This would come into play with the LA V link bars as you would have to get each side parallel to the other. I did find a source from one of our members, PM me for details as it may be a back-door special.

Just thinking about the alignment forces in play..... After more thought, aren't the rollers self-aligning on the cam lobe ramps? Wouldn't any twist would be fought by the pressure from the valve springs? Seems like the links should be a bit loose to allow for this 'auto-alignment'.

Which begs the question of why have the links at all, as long as the valves don't float....??? Or can they spin around freely when on the base circle?

(Seems like if the axle and/or centerline of the lifter was a bit offset from the line passing through the center of the cam then it would essentially be self-aligning... sort of a caster effect. Not possible to guarantee that on an older block I suppose.)
Oops I think I have seen photos of roller lifters that had gone sideways. Unscheduled engine disassembly! I think those bars are permanently riveted to the lifter body.

Oops I think I have seen photos of roller lifters that had gone sideways. Unscheduled engine disassembly! I think those bars are permanently riveted to the lifter body.

They almost always go sideways when the needle bearings fail. Then the wheel will seize. Then the carnage starts.

remember the ISKY "torrodial crowned" rollers
sort of self aligning for that minor variation

-
Back