Roller rocker choice for HYD rollercam/for High Miles-Full life

-
Hi Yellow Rose,
40yrs ago we sponsered 3 outlaw sprint cars with 350 based engines. Rules then were flat tappet
cams and NO mushroom tappets. So we bored the GM blocks on a Bridgeport mill for .904 lifters and then ramped the cams for them. The chevy mushroom lifters were .925. Tech never found them, they just looked for the mushroom. The GM guy's are just now going to to the .904 lifter for the faster lobe ramp because no one makes mushroom cam and lifters for them.
The Chy mushroom lifters were a full 1" inch in diameter, I have some of both from way back when. Look it up, that is where the old battleship Chy valve springs came from. Heavy lifters at high rpm.
If the weight of the lifter does not matter, what magic force keeps it in contact with the cam lobe other than the valve spring. The only thing I can think of is what is called a Rev Kit. Springs
on top of the lifter so you can run a lighter tension/weight valve spring for ultra high rpm engines. This is before all the newer better rocker arms. The basis for my first post, what is out there that is different/better than 15yrs ago? The only thing that trumps physics is marketing. I did'nt start engine work yesterday I stopped
14years ago. I want to know what is new and you all are using and why? What has been working for everyone. I am now building this engine for myself not others as in the past.
Thank you all
for your posts,
Rick

I’m saying weight on that side of the rocker is pretty much unimportant. Look at what guys have finally started running for pushrods. It used to be that a 3/8 pushrod was all that. Now guys are running 5/8 pushrods, 9/16-5/8 single and double tapered pushrods and as big and heavy as they can get them.

The trade off is that little increase in weight in nothing compared to the power and durability you get out of the big stuff.

BTW, PM me if you want to sell those mushroom lifters. I’ve been wanting a set for donkey years.

Nitro, Comp bloke gave you wrong info [ post #10 ]
The adjuster bolt [with cup on the end to suit a prod with a ball ] has a machined recess half way up the threads. There is a hole drilled from this recess into the centre of the adjuster, which mates with a hole drilled upwards from the cup. Then there is hole from the shaft hole into the thread area. So that takes care of the adjuster ball/cup lubrication. In the top of the rocker, there is a small hole aimed towards the valve end of the rocker, to lube the roller tip.
This is correct and one of the reasons I never consult with Comp Cams Tech Line......or for that matter.....Edelbrock's Tech Line. Comp's engineers I've had good luck with.

Hi Yellow Rose,
I mostly have lifter examples in pairs going back into the 50s. For doing custom block machining
on a Bridgeport like I described a few posts back. Like 40yrs ago on the outlaw sprint GM stuff.
I made a custom riser for my mill back then so yes, I can put a 440 on it and even do the cam
bores, with the crank in line with the table. Way before CNC. Manual 1-of setup. Used to tease
my brother about cnc way back then, as of now he has 36yrs cnc for the areo space industry
doing ultra small parts for satalites in extream hard to machine alloy's. Like a internal threaded hole in titanium, size 0000-120 thread pitch. Back then it was "wow-175 beeeutiful precision parts
all wrong instead of 1
"Then the outlaw guy's for other engine's wanted .904 1" inch mushroom tappets over the GM .925's, anything over .940 would pickup the next lobe. On to mech rollers.

To answer your question, I have pairs for referance all these years.

Take care,
Rick

What r u gonna use for push rods? R u shimming the shafts up as in making the stands taller? Kim

Yes, that's right. I'm not sure until I mock it up. I have the Crane adjusters for this one and they are pretty long. Might have enough.....but then, I know the three thread rule too.....so I may end up givin Smith Brothers a ring. Whichever, it'll be right when it's done.

This is correct and one of the reasons I never consult with Comp Cams Tech Line......or for that matter.....Edelbrock's Tech Line. Comp's engineers I've had good luck with.
Hi IQ52,
Some things seem to never change, Comp was that way 35yrs ago along with Edelbrock. Outstanding engineers with both of them from the start. I have pulled out more damaged comp parts in others engines from bad tech than I have installed. Nothing wrong with there parts, good
stuff. But simple tech like I asked a week ago about the rocker adjuster. Best parts on the world are worthless without good tech. It was not on there website nor the newest catalog download.
Im retired and know know what to look for and have the time. The last thing other than a intake
I used from Edelbrock was a set of V8 flathead cylinder heads.
Thank You,
Rick

Put a 5.011-5.025 valve in the heads and watch the pattern center. The stand leans toward the valve.. the valve is straight up in relation.. so that means the stand 'if raised' will bring the rocker closer to the stem...while if the stem is taller... it only gets further away aka increasing the distance between it and the rocker/roller tip.
It's all relevant with geometry. Whether partial tackle it and keep **** from breaking or completely master it and have the perfect translation between cam and valve. Start on this side or that side...it all meets in the middle eventually..
When I put a longer valve in this engine using roller rockers I ended up with a huge off center sweep across the valve tip.
400/450 stroker....Cheap parts, lotta work.

And had to make this in Post #93 & #94 to correct the geometry.........

400/450 stroker....Cheap parts, lotta work.

RRR, IQ52 ect.
Seems you are not directing your posts to me.
You have your own thing going with more posts than I have for my question.
I am here for my questions, not a bunch of back and forth that does not apply
to me, I value your input as you guy's are good builders. I am am being kind here
and again value you input.
Rick

Hi everyone,
I am looking for real experience, not "these are work'n great in my setup" then find out 6 posts later they have 7000 miles on there high mileage setup.:rolleyes:
A bit of background specs on what I have. Springs, 400-450lb @ max lift of .590 to .640, max rpm 6000. Trick Flow 240 roller cam heads to keep velocity up for low to mid rpm max torque.
4.250" stroke 440 cam'd for 2200-5000rpm sweet spot. Everyday driver in New Mexico.
55miles to closest store.
Aluminum is out for material cycle life with roller, flat lifter spring ok, roller spring no.
Comp now has steel rocker but upper push rod/adjuster upside down for shaft oiling, don't know
when they changed as I used them in years past.
Oh, I have built over 350 automotive and diesel engines as a trade/business over 30yrs but none in the last 12yrs. A bit out of touch with what is new. New rockers/parts ect. out there that I know I don't know about. Basis for my question to all of you.

Thank You everyone,
for your help and input.
Rick
PS: Sorry everyone, I somehow missed a very good super response posting
about rocker arms a few pages down. If you have anything to add here that would be great. again sorry for not looking far enough ahead or just plain not
seeing your awsome other responses in the other post.
Thank You all again,
Rick

Hey Rick, get real.
No one builds n runs these things into the 100k+ anymore to be able to tell you.. "sure these roller rockers will go 100k"..
More like.." I put these on a 100k motor n so far so good.."
They just don't get driven enough these days to put that kind of milage on them.
Sorry there's no guinea pigs here.
Maybe you could return the favor and help us all out by being the tester.

Ps, by the way you want/ask for advice...
..you should be paying for it.

RRR, IQ52 ect.
to me, I value your input as you guy's are good builders. I am am being kind here
Rick
No words for this.

RRR, IQ52 ect.
Rick
Ah yes. Selfish of me. I just spend tens of thousands of dollars and test my own stuff. Damn I'm sorry I couldn't help with the rocker arm longevity question.

Or maybe........

Did I?

-
Back