Roller Rockers

-
^^^^....as above.

So, you can shim the shafts up, get different pushrods, or put on adjustable rockers; adjustable rockers don't have to be rollers.

If you can tell us how much lift the cam has, everyone can make a better recommendation. Since you don't want the best (in other words, don't need to spend for the pricey ones...), have you looked into buying a set of the 273 adjustable rockers?

How are you using this car? Cruiser or all out drag race or what? Again, that will impact the recommendations.

^^^^....as above.

So, you can shim the shafts up, get different pushrods, or put on adjustable rockers; adjustable rockers don't have to be rollers.

If you can tell us how much lift the cam has, everyone can make a better recommendation. Since you don't want the best (in other words, don't need to spend for the pricey ones...), have you looked into buying a set of the 273 adjustable rockers?

How are you using this car? Cruiser or all out drag race or what? Again, that will impact the recommendations.

^^^^....as above.

Not going to drag race but I want it to run good if I need it to and cruiser most

Research roller rocker geometry before you make a decision on any rocker. You'll be glad you did. Searching the archives on FABO is a good place to start.
Do you have an example of this?

Someone did a valve job and shaved the heads and that caused a low compression on a few cylinders loosened up the rocker shaft compression came up so that's why I need roller rockers
So what you are implying is that the hydraulic lifters are out of their range of adjustment, and they are holding the valves open, and she won't start. Is that it?
That would take a butt-load of machining .... not a shave. Most lifters have a range of over .090.
I would sooner think the lifters were installed fully or near-fully pumped up. And if that is true, and they won't bleed down, you may have jammed the valves into the pistons and bent their heads. So
IMO
You need to back off the gear and do a leakdown test to prove it one way or another.
If they are Ok,then you will have to start over by measuring for the correct pushrod length at the 4 corners, and ordering up a custom set. However, it may be that your current set is reusable, and that you just need to get the oil out of the lifters prior to installing them.
Welcome to HotRodding

If the valves are sunk .030" then the push rod end of the rockers will move towards the lifters by .045". So it's conceivable that it all stacked up enough.

Not going to drag race but I want it to run good if I need it to and cruiser most
Well, then the 273 rockers might be just fine for that .474" max lift. You'll still need to change pushrods though to use those.

^^^^....as above.

I don't even think he knows what you're talking about when you say shame the shafts.

You would need special shims
IMG_20181103_205512.jpg

?

273 rockers best 4 U
or b3 shim kit with roller tip rockers

a note on stock rockers
some have a hole in pushrod cup and some do not
depends on if oil through the pushrod or not
do not get it wrong or you get smoked rockers
hint- hole always works
get the pushrod length right and stock rockers work fine at that lift- we had to race with them for years
but get your rocker arm geometry right even with stock rockers

Whatever it takes of course if indeed that is the problem. It's always nice to solve something over the internet.

I still say he needs to measure for correct pushrods as that cam doesn't look wild and the stock rockers should be fine.

I’ll be honest and tell you I was hoping for a list of rockers with nice pictures and arrows listing what you have found to be the best rocker on a particular head.

8 X 10 glossy would be great to....

(Just heard “Alice’s restaurant” so forgive the gauge attempt at humor.....)

I run the Crane Gold roller rockers on my 340 with J heads. Never had a problem, and they aren't too spendy.

-
Back