Roller

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
You guys are starting to make me think that maybe I should just a roller and built it the way I want it. I read the thread on the mach1 and some of the replies has got me thinking. I've never done one from scratch and it just may very well be what I need.

You guys are starting to make me think that maybe I should just a roller and built it the way I want it. I read the thread on the mach1 and some of the replies has got me thinking. I've never done one from scratch and it just may very well be what I need.
Great way to do it your way, naysayers be damned. That's what it's all about for many of us, unless it's a complete, rare, low mileage one owner, there is no other way. Not for me anyway.

You've mentioned before you didn't want to get involved in a project for a few reasons.
Im all for doing your own build and the satisfaction that comes with that, however you have to know what your getting involved with and the costs involved
You need to have a reasonable understanding that buying a car done is usually way cheaper than doing a build
What exactly are you looking for and trying to accomplish ?

Dan, you are quite the man of contradictions. in another thread you were bemoaning the lack of aftermarket support as well as the time, energy and money involved in chasing down parts.

do you honestly think that obtaining a roller project would exclude you from such actions that you have publicly declared as problematic, so much so to the point that you grew frustrated and sold your dart (if you even had one to start with)?

I await my answer in one thoughtfully crafted response, not two or three please.

Dan, you are quite the man of contradictions. in another thread you were bemoaning the lack of aftermarket support as well as the time, energy and money involved in chasing down parts.

do you honestly think that obtaining a roller project would exclude you from such actions that you have publicly declared as problematic, so much so to the point that you grew frustrated and sold your dart (if you even had one to start with)?

I await my answer in one thoughtfully crafted response, not two or three please.
I don't think that a roller project is a good idea for me, especially at 63.

It takes a great deal of drive and determination to see a project through. You must also be aware of your skills and resources. For sale's are littered with abandoned projects. For those of us who have seen a project completed comes a great deal of respect for anyone who keeps one of these magnificent frustrating icons on the road.

It takes a great deal of drive and determination to see a project through. You must also be aware of your skills and resources. For sale's are littered with abandoned projects. For those of us who have seen a project completed comes a great deal of respect for anyone who keeps one of these magnificent frustrating icons on the road.
I don't think that I have the skills required to do it, I guess that I was dreaming for a moment.

I don't think that I have the skills required to do it, I guess that I was dreaming for a moment.
You need more than skill. Resources and money. Skills can always be learned. 63, really? Thats not too old. Just in your prime.

Maybe it's best if I just forget about it.
With all due respect maybe it would be best if you would just honestly state your true intentions and im sure guys would go out of their way to help you
There is no reason you couldn't restore a car if you have the time, knowledge, ability and most importantly the money
You have to be honest in what your budget is and not have unreasonable expectations
Consider this, I have a 69 Sport Satellite convertible that I fully restored, its a big block car and I converted it to a 4 speed recently
Sure I would like to have a 69 GTX but that was out of reach when I was looking for a car
You can wish your life away or find something affordable and enjoy it now

for a lot of people age is just a state of mind. I helped my 70 yr old mom restore a 68 dart (4dr /6 3spd) that was same as her first car. it wasn't a roller but a real basket case. while I helped with the heavy lifting she did a vast amount of the work herself.

but like 69conv notes: it takes a tremendous amount of drive, determination and passion to see a car to completion. if you don't have the skills, ability or money along with those then that abandoned project you just picked up is going to become your abandoned project in the F/S section next after it withers and dies on the vine for years.

Unknown-5.jpeg

as much as your head has been spinning over the past 6 months, probably not.
Grab a fly pole and creel and spend your last days fishing. lol
I mean 63 years old and you act like your on your last leg.

At 63 you will likely only complete one vehicle from here out. Multiple reasons are involved. Skill level, tools, location, parts availability, etc. Then it comes to money. You better think hard about it. Buying a project takes a lot. It gives even more though. There is real satisfaction in resurrecting a vehicle. The sense of accomplishment is tough to match. But, it is not always a walk in the park. Some cars are easy go get parts for. Some not so much. Some are affordable and others ridiculous.
Everybody knows you will put more into building a car than you will get out. Except in certain cases. You can buy somebody else’s completed car for cents on the dollar and be driving and enjoying right away.

I have not read all your threads on this topic, so I don’t know if you are after the challenge or the car.

Choose wisely. It could make or break your love of the hobby as many get frustrated and give up on the build. If you decide on a project, make sure you love the body style.

Roller cams come with their own set of problems. They do not have the simplicity of the FT cam/lifter & have a lot more moving parts to fail.

Forums everywhere have people complaining about noisy/ticking hyd roller lifters. And those pesky little needle rollers. While it is pretty rare for a needle roller to s**t it self, it does happen & it can take out the engine. To avoid this possibility, you would use bushed rollers, more expense.....

So things to weigh up, pros & cons.

If you get a FT cam from one of the major cam grinders that has modern computerised grinders, Comp, Howards, Isky etc & have a set of factory lifters re-faced you should not have a failure.

Well brother I'm not knocking you but when you say you want something that needs no pain or body and then you mentioned something in a suspension Thread about not wanting to use a torque wrench, and THE ELEPHANT in the room is...good oil pumps, the raw castings aren't available for a year or two, good bearings maybe King bearings has some, there's so many parts on backorder due to lack of raw materials or crap coming from China... I'd rather see you get a car you can drive and enjoy instead of being frustrated with a pile of Parts laying around while you're waiting on more parts

You need more than skill. Resources and money. Skills can always be learned. 63, really? Thats not too old. Just in your prime.
Don't remember a building storage for everything you need where you can do it without the neighbors calling freaking code enforcement on you

Well brother I'm not knocking you but when you say you want something that needs no pain or body and then you mentioned something in a suspension Thread about not wanting to use a torque wrench, and THE ELEPHANT in the room is...good oil pumps, the raw castings aren't available for a year or two, good bearings maybe King bearings has some, there's so many parts on backorder due to lack of raw materials or crap coming from China... I'd rather see you get a car you can drive and enjoy instead of being frustrated with a pile of Parts laying around while you're waiting on more parts
I agree. I don't know what I was thinking about when I mentioned a project car

I agree. I don't know what I was thinking about when I mentioned a project car
Brother Dan, AIN'T nothing wrong with a project car. But in this day and age is better like the guys say to grab one already done now if you got a brother or a good friend there's a talented mechanic or the two of you can at least help each other out that's a good thing but you're going to want some type of enclosed area to work on it in. Like if your house has an enclosed garage and your wife parks in the garage you're going to have to put her stuff in the driveway! Haha! Where you're going to have to put a metal building out back if you live where there is an HOA that's going to suck

Brother Dan, AIN'T nothing wrong with a project car. But in this day and age is better like the guys say to grab one already done now if you got a brother or a good friend there's a talented mechanic or the two of you can at least help each other out that's a good thing but you're going to want some type of enclosed area to work on it in. Like if your house has an enclosed garage and your wife parks in the garage you're going to have to put her stuff in the driveway! Haha! Where you're going to have to put a metal building out back if you live where there is an HOA that's going to suck
I'm pretty good at mechanical things, I kept all of my tools. I can't weld or do body work or paint. I have a good friend who can do the seats, I don't know if he knows anything about headliner.

I'm pretty good at mechanical things, I kept all of my tools. I can't weld or do body work or paint. I have a good friend who can do the seats, I don't know if he knows anything about headliner.
That's actually perfect my back seat is mint, front 2 need a recover ( my upholstery guy that had a badass custom business went back to Ohio, after his Mom Passed) almost dated his ex... Tanya was Cool, but she Passed from Cancer within 6 months. TOUGH Southern Girl, drove a RamCharger on 33s!

Roller cams come with their own set of problems. They do not have the simplicity of the FT cam/lifter & have a lot more moving parts to fail.

Forums everywhere have people complaining about noisy/ticking hyd roller lifters. And those pesky little needle rollers. While it is pretty rare for a needle roller to s**t it self, it does happen & it can take out the engine. To avoid this possibility, you would use bushed rollers, more expense.....

So things to weigh up, pros & cons.

If you get a FT cam from one of the major cam grinders that has modern computerised grinders, Comp, Howards, Isky etc & have a set of factory lifters re-faced you should not have a failure.
Dude, You read the headline & skipped to the ending, lol!!!

-
Back