Roller

-
I'm pretty good at mechanical things, I kept all of my tools. I can't weld or do body work or paint. I have a good friend who can do the seats, I don't know if he knows anything about headliner.

I agree. I don't know what I was thinking about when I mentioned a project car
Dan, only because I think you have good intentions otherwise im not into drama
At the time ten or so years ago I wasn't about to spend 25 -40 grand on a hobby car. Sure we had the money but we worked way to hard and am way to conservative to indulge in such a expensive endeavour
So I bought a car for 3 grand was a great deal and started out from there. At this point in life it was time for me to finally do something for me and no guilt about that. My wife isn't a car person but she supported the idea
I invested way to much money in that car but I did it myself and my way
Great if you have the finances to buy a restored GTS but the reality is you dont need a worked 340 with all the hi-po stuff, you can have just as much enjoyment with a A body that has a small v8 or a slant 6
And look at it this way, now your not a observer anymore but a participant in a great pastime

I don't have a good place to build a car so I choose to buy one done (or at least drivable.) Figure out what you want out of a car, project/builder, driver, show car, etc. How much can you spend? Be realistic. Unless one falls out of the shy at your feet you won't get a restored Duster or a cherry unrestored Swinger for $10,000 unless you are real lucky. Have the money ready when you find that "right" car and pull the trigger. I have found, if you want one bad enough you can't be too picky as far as color or engines.

this has to be some kind of record the number of total post started and threads commented on about this subject. if a car truely was your goal it would be done and over, dude 16 year old kids do it every day. i suspect it's more about dan the man's pity party.

Projects. Old Mopars. Life.

Why do YOU want an old Mopar?? Something to drive for fun? Some project to work on because you love that or just the idea of such? Want a show car to win that trophy? You want to belong to a group of .....

Projects. You are buying a dream, the country if FULL of projects someone bought, took apart and there it stopped! Try to sell one of those!

If a man can not do body/paint and does not have or want to spend those $$ to hire it done.... he better buy a car that needs none or is happy with rusty car or one someone else did all the work be it good or bad and does not consider his work worth $10,000. What fits your requirements? What can you afford? What can you do?

Projects" How good does it have to be? Body/paint. Mechanials? Interior? All the other: small" items?

Roller cams come with their own set of problems. They do not have the simplicity of the FT cam/lifter & have a lot more moving parts to fail.

Forums everywhere have people complaining about noisy/ticking hyd roller lifters. And those pesky little needle rollers. While it is pretty rare for a needle roller to s**t it self, it does happen & it can take out the engine. To avoid this possibility, you would use bushed rollers, more expense.....

So things to weigh up, pros & cons.

If you get a FT cam from one of the major cam grinders that has modern computerised grinders, Comp, Howards, Isky etc & have a set of factory lifters re-faced you should not have a failure.
This thread is about a car that rolls, not roller cam. Lol

Oops,
Thought he was talking about a roller cam, with all the talk about FT cam problems; might still be useful info if the new 'roller' needs a cam replaced....

Pretty hot. Just had a wild storm about 10 am, all quiet on the western front now [ 5.30 pm ].....

this has to be some kind of record the number of total post started and threads commented on about this subject. if a car truely was your goal it would be done and over, dude 16 year old kids do it every day. i suspect it's more about dan the man's pity party.
Before I retired from the FD, we used to shoot the **** between calls about every topic under the sun. Everyone taking their turn to throw in a story. IMO, Dan's just trying to be part of a group for a little interaction. There's nothing wrong with that.

i agree these web sites are a great thing for people with like interest, but they can be misused i consider most people on a equal adult level here no different than in the real world if someone talked silliness over and over they would not be included in the conversations that adult's have

I'd find a complete stock running and driving 318 car and drive it, and do weekend projects like tune, rear end swap, exhaust, 4bbl etc.. Build as you go keeping on the road and enjoy each improvement, to many want to jump straight to the end instead of enjoying the journey and see where it leads.

-
Back