Roof and window trim 1965 dart

Early A-Body Discussions

1. Hotrod1941

Hotrod1941 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:22 AM
    Looking for some tips on removing the roof and window trim on my 65 dart. Having trouble getting it off the drip rails. Trying to get it ready for bodywork. Any help is appreciated.

2. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Try using a small block of wood and a hammer, preferably a hard wood like Oak. Work a little bit at a time on the bottom
    edge. Start at one end and move forward. Don't try to remove it fast or you may have trouble. And try to keep from using metal tools, because they will distort and scratch if you slip when using one. They can be a pain. Be patient.

3. Hotrod1941

Local Time:
    Do you mean to tap it underneath on the window side pushing it outwards? These pieces are a real pain. Theres still small pieces of the vinyl roof stuck under this trim so it definitely needs to come off.

4. Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Yes, It has to be released from the bottom. It will be tight if it is over vinyl top material on drip rail. If it is folded
    over on the end, you may have to stick something in there to unfold it. Patience is required if you want to remove
    it without destruction.

5. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
    10:22 PM
    there is a youtube guy that uses an aluminum bottle opener to perfection, like it was made for it.

6. valiantpatrol

valiantpatrol FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    11:22 PM
    I agree with other commenters here on using non metallic tools and working the bottom edge. I'd also recommend working from the windshield towards the back as it gives the trim more flexibility as you go around the downward curve back by the quarter window.

7. Hotrod1941

Local Time:
    Thanks for the tips. Figured out my problem. Didn't realize it was screwed in under the weatherstripping and the trim that holds it in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.