roof rail stainless remove how to

-

moparraceman

Reaction score
i have a 1963 valient 2 dr hardtop i want to remove the roof rail stainless. what is the best way to remove it without messing it up ? its perfect now want to put it on another car thanks

I use a popsicle stick on one edge or the other. It depends, when I look at them. I can usually see which way they were popped on. Just take your time. Start at one end and work the other way slowly. Maybe an inch at a time.

Of course you can use one of the many plastic body prying tool to achieve the same results. Rule of thumb... take your time.. go easy...

An old style bottle opener with tape on it works for me............
You just need to be gentle.
A thick bladed screwdriver has also worked for me in a pinch.

I use a small piece of hard wood and tap it under the edge with a small hammer. Like someone else said about an inch at a time and when you get to the end put a small piece of duck tape on it so it doesn't just fall to the ground and both your hands are full. GO SLOW it’s very easy if you take your time

Last edited:

I also use a piece of hard wood, paint stick, etc. and a hammer. Tap on bottom side. Go slow and try to refrain
from using a metal tool as you can distort it, or scratch it if you slip. The hardest to remove are 4 doors as it is
difficult to work around the rear door hinge pillar.

And when you get it off, and it appears twisted from end to end....don't panic! It will go back in place and that will go away.
I used ice cream sticks to protect the body, and a regular old bottle / can opener. Easy to keep a cloth of some sort under the can opener to protect the s.s.

got both sides off less than 20 minutes got a trim kit at harbor freight 6 pcs 8 bucks i start on back lifted it up so i could get plastic fork type tool under stainless tap with a small hammer came right off no dents or scratches thanks for all the help

i have a 1963 valient 2 dr hardtop i want to remove the roof rail stainless. what is the best way to remove it without messing it up ? its perfect now want to put it on another car thanks
Plastic bottle opener

-
Back