Rookie mistake.....need help

-

Sdriche

Reaction score
I'm a converted Dodge owner from GM so please be kind. I attempted to take the drivers wheel off my 1968 Dart and couldn't believe how tight the lugs were on. You guessed it, I snapped a stud. I now know they are left hand thread. Anyone know where you can get a left hand thread replacement stud? I looked everywhere. I'd rather keep them left as I'm having a bear trying to get just one stud off the hub (an air chissel is making slow progress) I have 9 in drums. Much appreciated.

Napa used to have them. On my 68 Coronet I had 30 years ago ( damn I miss that car) I just pulled em out and slammed right handed thread in

Don't pound the old lugs outta the hub, or you'll ruin it.

Cut or drill the head off the stud, and punch it outward..

The factory "swaged" the hub assembly, making the stud bigger than the hole, pounding it out results in loose, poorly fitting studs that like to spin in the hub, while trying to change a flat tire on a rainy night .

Last edited:
I think a Wanted part on here might result in more success .... I just rolled through NAPA and don't see anything L/H listed.

eBay had a few for about $17 a pop (at quick look)

Are you in front or rear? Rear comes out easily. Front is swedged and need special attention.

7/16” LH studs are not that easy to find.

Ok, I'm smart enough to listen to other smart people. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Ordered RH studs and new Lug Nuts. I'll also have them pressed out vs my impact approach. Thanks again!!!!

This is front drivers BTW

Last I checked O’Reillys and AutoZone had them.

I'm a converted Dodge owner from GM so please be kind. I attempted to take the drivers wheel off my 1968 Dart and couldn't believe how tight the lugs were on. You guessed it, I snapped a stud. I now know they are left hand thread. Anyone know where you can get a left hand thread replacement stud? I looked everywhere. I'd rather keep them left as I'm having a bear trying to get just one stud off the hub (an air chissel is making slow progress) I have 9 in drums. Much appreciated.

Welcome to the site!
Don't worry about rookie mistakes, There are lots of seasoned Mopar Fanatics on here that still make em, Me included.
Just don't call a Sure grip rear differential a Posi and you get along fine ! LOL

Stop being a Chevy guy for three seconds just plowing ahead and read up. Here it comes.

Remove the entire drum/hub assembly. Get a 5/8 metal cutting hole saw. Drill through the drum only around the broken stud. This will cut away the sewdged part of the stud and allow you to drive it right out and not ruin the hub. If you try to drive it out without cutting the swedge off, you will ruin the hub and drum both. If you get hung up and need some help, post up and we'll help you out. It's an easy job, but it's equally easy to booger it slam up if you don't do it correctly.

My drum is separate from the hub. Can I just press the studs out of the hub?if they won’t budge I’ll take the advice to cut the back off and push them forward. Open to any helpful tips.

My drum is separate from the hub. Can I just press the studs out of the hub?if they won’t budge I’ll take the advice to cut the back off and push them forward. Open to any helpful tips.
Can you post a picture of the hub please? Get a good closeup of where the stud comes through the hub from the front side. If the hubs have already been separated, you may can just drive the studs out, but lets make sure first.

Can you post a picture of the hub please? Get a good closeup of where the stud comes through the hub from the front side. If the hubs have already been separated, you may can just drive the studs out, but lets make sure first.

@Sdriche , you'll find that any and all questions are best accompanied by good photos. Take it from another newb. These guys will find stuff in a photo amazingly fast.

Wish you luck

You made the right choice switching to RH studs. Do the rear as well.
Stupid assed Ma Mopar with their LH ingenuity.
Ok, I'm smart enough to listen to other smart people. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Ordered RH studs and new Lug Nuts. I'll also have them pressed out vs my impact approach. Thanks again!!!!

This is front drivers BTW

Here is the hub

93D45F16-3F37-4BE4-B952-5F9B0D06B818.png

Welcome to the site. I would humbly suggest that you replace all 10 studs on the left side of the car from Left Hand Thread (LHT) to Right hand Thread (RHT). Don't pound them out with a hammer. That could damage the hub/ drum. Press them out. Does it hurt to have LHT studs and lug nuts on the car? Absolutely not. I just like to have all RHT studs and lug nuts on my car.

To the best of my knowledge, Chrysler Engineering wanted to make sure the nuts wouldn't loosen due to tire rotation....
That was the theory for sure! It was later discovered though, that the bevel on the nut and reverse bevel in the wheel was enough to keep the nuts tight. They were learning along with all the rest of us! lol

-
Back