"Rookie-Touring" '69 Dart

-

swisswill

Reaction score
Finally got back to my Dart after a long year of being away. I mentioned before, I live in Switzerland 11 1/2 months out of the year and only get back to the states to work on my car 2-3 weeks around Christmas. Not exactly the best time since it's been below freezing most of the time I've been back, BRUTAL! One of the fun parts is I get two Christmas's every time I come back, one for car parts, and one for Christmas. I generally buy parts throughout the year and do my own mini Sema-thrash over Christmas.

The plan for the car was originally a basic restoration with some suspension, engine and paint upgrades. I have since discovered pro-touring and the build has now evolved into a full on PT build with a Viper theme, but since it's my first, it's "Rookie Touring". While not likely to be a big hit on this site, this site has been a great resource for information and many here have been a huge help to my build. I look forward to asking more questions and learning alot more as I go.

Plans for the car are a few subtle body mods, full chassis, 5.7 Hemi which will eventually be stroked, Viper T-56, Gen 3 Viper wheels and brakes, Viper IRS, exhaust through the rockers (similar to what else, Viper), Charger SRT hood scoop, ISIS, Dakota Digital gauges, a few other custom interior touches, and a bunch of other stuff which I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I've got a rendering coming and when it's finished I'll be sure to put it up.

The plan for this year was to begin teaching myself to weld, rip the quarter panels off the car, mock up the new quarters, check ride height, start mocking up custom rear spoiler, and anything else I could get done.

First thing I had to do was organize the garage. This is what I came back to...
IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

Second quarter panel mocked up...
IMG_5259.jpg

Checking ride height...
IMG_5255.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

Mocking up the spoiler...
IMG_5259.jpg

Putting a Viper third brake light in the spoiler...
IMG_5270.jpg

Thanks to everybody that has already been a huge help and to those that will be in the future. I head back to Switzerland tomorrow so the working fun ends for the next 11 1/2 months, but I do get to have research and parts buying fun.

I'm digging the stance too. Ride height is going to be 5 inches.

They are AMD quarters. Very impressed with the fit and quality. This was my first attempt at anything related to body work and the old quarters were a real pain to remove, but these ones go on nice. I used '67 quarters so I don't have to shave the marker lights. Very good quality though. I'm going to replace my door jambs next year and will be picking those up from AMD as well. Hoping they start re-popping fenders, not that I need them, but I'd like to use as much "new" metal as possible.

Brian (Sharpie) finished up my rendering today so I thought I'd show it off. It certainly isn't for everybody, but it is for me and that's all I care about. Thanks again Brian!

threefinal.jpg

Black Betty, first thanks for the comments. Second, thank you for posting. I have been trying to find you and your build thread for MONTHS!!! I am building my own chassis and you are partly to blame. Just kidding. Seriously though, your build was part the inspiration for what I'm doing. I am building my own chassis and from the looks of it, my design is seemingly similar to yours. Any chance you have specs on yours that you'd be willing to share? Measurements, etc... You and I seem to think a bit alike, though my goal isn't 200 mph, yet... I am planning Viper front and rear suspension, 6-speed and 5.7 Hemi, ride height will be either 4 or 5 inches. It looks like I may be using the new Ride Tech Select Series coil over when they come available. Eventually the Hemi will be stroked and maybe more, for now I just need to get this thing rolling. A year from now, I'm hoping to have a rolling chassis, we'll see. Your build is amazing as well, I'm really pumped about seeing more of it. Keep the pics flowing and if you don't mind, share the details and specs. Keep up the great work.

I have my specs but there is a whole list of things i would change if i started over. Im not sure what specs you want or need but i can give you whatever. I will help as much as i can.

Certainly going to be a killer when finished. Couldn't help noticing the '68-style front grill and '69 tail lights. Is the front grille design so you can incorporate some driving lights in it rather than the '69 rectangular turn signals?
Again, going to look outstanding when done.

I can't believe how far you got in just 3 weeks Will. looks awesome and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks Brian. It may only be 2-3 weeks at a time, but 12-14 hour days in the garage and a whole lot of determination gets it done. Hoping to have a rolling chassis a year from now, then the fun will really get going...

Certainly going to be a killer when finished. Couldn't help noticing the '68-style front grill and '69 tail lights. Is the front grille design so you can incorporate some driving lights in it rather than the '69 rectangular turn signals?
Again, going to look outstanding when done.

Good eye, that's exactly what I'm doing. For now planning some 5 3/4 lights in the grill.

I have my specs but there is a whole list of things i would change if i started over. Im not sure what specs you want or need but i can give you whatever. I will help as much as i can.

I have most of my frame designed, but I would like to know what your running for frame rail width up front and what the angles are up front and in back. I'm sure mine will be different with what I have planned for the IRS, but I bet my front will be close to yours since we are pretty close to the same ride height.

If you don't mind sharing, I'd like to see that list of things you would change if the slate were clean. Thanks.

I have most of my frame designed, but I would like to know what your running for frame rail width up front and what the angles are up front and in back. I'm sure mine will be different with what I have planned for the IRS, but I bet my front will be close to yours since we are pretty close to the same ride height.

If you don't mind sharing, I'd like to see that list of things you would change if the slate were clean. Thanks.

To start with i would buy pre bent rails from someone who can bend to your specs. That will save a ton of time and doesnt cost much more. I would also not put an outside rail i would reinforce the factory rocker and use it. There is some stuff i would change at the rear rails but yours will be completely different due to irs. I would change my front suspension mounts but it would just be so they look better. The front rails are 23in wide(inside) they rise 4.5in at 25degrees. Hope that helps.

Welcome to the A Body Pro-Touring club, we may only be a few, but we like it, and that is all that counts. Good luck with the build..

No additional progress on the car itself. I almost have my chassis design finalized. I'm taking ideas from Art Morrison as well as some stuff from the Viper chassis (makes sense since that's the suspension I'm using) and also scamming ideas off the Super Cuda. I'm hoping to work a package deal within the next couple days on all the Viper stuff I need. Bits and pieces are coming together but I won't be working on it again for another 6 months, UGH!!! The planning phase is fun though and when I get back on it all should come together fairly well.

Thanks Tincup. We are a small crowd but if I wanted to fit in with "The Crowd", I'd build a Camaro. Been following your build, I like what you've done. Your car looks great.

-
Back