Roots style on 400

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Going to install a 6-71 on a mild 400 with forged pistons and Edelbrock heads. My question is should/can I run a harmonic balancer on it or just run a hub? Will be for nostalgia races only and yes it is externally balanced motor right now.

Going to install a 6-71 on a mild 400 with forged pistons and Edelbrock heads. My question is should/can I run a harmonic balancer on it or just run a hub? Will be for nostalgia races only and yes it is externally balanced motor right now.

"I" would put a good quality SFI balancer on it.

I got a double keyed crank hub for mine. A lot of research told me the gilmer belt takes up the vibe. I also got a steel crank for it. BDS had the hub for around 100$

I decided to run a balancer on my 440.... just figured why not --- if I were you I would indeed run a balancer since it is an externally balanced cast crank... I know people say the imbalance is taken by the blower belt and all that but I just simply ask - why NOT run a balancer?

hub or balancer it needs that offset weight or it will vibrate , blower belt and pulley won't take that away . but if you put a steel 383 crank in it , no balancing to deal with , just a hub then . but you need to put some kind of deg wheel for timing .
DSC03434.JPG
DSC03432.JPG

It's not going to turn more RPMs it's going to have more power. And with that big fat belt running that close to the harmonic balancer I doubt if it's going to have that much stress...

mixers are correct this yjhing is a gasser motor , lol . just another way to make horse power . it should not run hot do to the colder fuel and long burn rate , so i can drive it around town with no issues . i've got plenty of other blown packages that will be enough trouble keeping them tuned for the weather and use . just a small sampling .
DSC01695.JPG
DSC03449.JPG
DSC03442.JPG

Well I can see where all my damn parts are bein' stored........................LOLOL

Back to the question gentleman. I have no interest in propane!

Exactly how many answers are you lookin for? Run a balancer. That seems to be the majority. Why wouldn't you? It's part of the reciprocating assembly. Double key it if you want, but run a balancer.

You don’t really have a choice. If you run just a hub on an externally balanced engine it will shake like a pup poopin a peach seed. Run a balancer with the correct weight for the balance of the crank. Or change the crank. Or have it internally balanced and run just a hub.

-
Back