Rotisserie recomendations.

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
Looking to get started on restoring my Demon. In the market to purchase a rotisserie. Any insights on make and type is greatly appreciated.

I'll be watching this as I'm going to be needing one next winter too :)

I built one using plans from Redwing Steel Works.. Cost effective (especially if you can get a deal on steel, scrap yard, surplus, etc) Very well engineered, easy to build. I would think you could easily sell it after you're done with it for more than what you got in it...

Good one Rod!

I am seriously considering making my own redneck rotisserie to finish up the bottom of my barracuda. By the way, I welded in my rear quarters last weekend. Car is looking sweet.

When supporting a unibody at frame ends the body flexes. Retailers who sell rotisseries offer body braces that are placed in the door jambs. Although the body flex isn't as much with a full roof as in convertible or 'T' top it is there. Why I brought this up... If you plan to or are considering adding weld in subframe connectors, To do that first would be wise.

When supporting a unibody at frame ends the body flexes. Retailers who sell rotisseries offer body braces that are placed in the door jambs. Although the body flex isn't as much with a full roof as in convertible or 'T' top it is there. Why I brought this up... If you plan to or are considering adding weld in subframe connectors, To do that first would be wise.

You're right, I got those support rods with it too!

So I built my redneck rotisserie last weekend and my 71 Barracuda is up on its side. A friend gave me some 3/4 inch plywood and with another 25 bucks into it, I have a very stable way to work on the underside of my car. Yippee

Not sure why picture is turned sideways. I guess you are going to have to use your imagination.

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 276
I bought a Direct Lift and am very happy with it. It was quite a bit cheaper than other brands, the quality is good and it comes with a bunch of extra fixtures and two door opening braces.

Steel redneck rotisserie. I built this over a year ago using scrap steel, and old trampoline tubing

Attachments

• 20140311_203315.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 20140901_185432.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 20140901_185512.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 181
Very nice.

Thank you.

I think i have maybe $40 in the whole mess. I had to buy some square tubing because of the way i made the frames and what i had to work with, i ran out of scrap. I actually butt welded a lot of the shorter pieces of square tube together to make longer pieces.

I got mine on Craigslist. Rotisseries are the sort of thing that many people only need to use once, and they're difficult to store. Therefore, you should be able to find one used.

If you got a weekend and a welder, build one. Use it and then sell it for for twice what you got in it.

How light does the car have to be to use a redneck rotisserie? My Duster is currently a roller with no interior other than dash, I'll be dropping out the k-member/front suspension again to install the engine and trans and the front bumper is loose. I could pull the hood, bumpers and decklid off pretty quickly and possibly the doors and fenders too. The rearend wouldn't take terribly long either. I'm just debating if I wanna tear into it that deep now or if I want to just get it driving and strip it all back down later to replace the one rear floor pan and paint underneath and add subframe connectors

I am sure my wooden redneck rotisserie could hold the car with the front suspension and rear end still attached. It would add extra weight when it came time to turn the car on its side. I was able to roll my 71 Barracuda (no front or rear suspension installed) over with my older son helping me. With three of us, it was a piece of cake.

So I could leave the doors on then. I would probably take the fenders off to paint the backs of em and the wheel wells.

-
Back