Rotisserie suggestions requested

-

Enjoying it again

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. New Member here. I have been very impressed how so many of you are willing to assist each other so here is the question. What rotisserie is most liked? Where can one buy a rotisserie. How to build one. Will two engine stands suffice if secured together properly. Thank you in advance for your time, effort, experience, and wisdom.

Hello Everyone. New Member here. I have been very impressed how so many of you are willing to assist each other so here is the question. What rotisserie is most liked? Where can one buy a rotisserie. How to build one. Will two engine stands suffice if secured together properly. Thank you in advance for your time, effort, experience, and wisdom.
Merry Christmas and Welcome.
To your question, i can't give a recommendation as i haven't got to the area of having one. The engine stand option is out for the fact that it can't allow the the car to rotate in the height of it. Also i wouldn't trust it safety wise. If you look up Red Wing Steel Works you can get what looks like some very good plans for one. Good luck and Happy New Year too, Steve

Hello Steve. Having a white Christmas in the sunny south-west. Lol. Despite what most people think Canada is not all snow 10 months of the year. No white Xmas in most of Ontario. Thank you for the info.

Hello Steve. Having a white Christmas in the sunny south-west. Lol. Despite what most people think Canada is not all snow 10 months of the year. No white Xmas in most of Ontario. Thank you for the info.
I'm around a hundred miles north of Los Angeles, California and we are looking at 6 to 12 inches of snow in the mountains around us over night. Nice to be able to visit and return home. The plans on Red Wings site are able to down loaded. I have a copy for future. Take care

I built my rotisserie. It bolts to the jack trays on my 4 post hoist. so no wheels and stabilizers.
i did buy 2 air/hydraulic long ram jacks from princess auto when they went on sale.
Almost 900 in materials to build.

it works for what i need,but car needs to be pretty well stripped to roll it over. finding balance isnt easy, and if it goes out of square it will bind and is difficult to lower.

Basically looked at every rotisserie i saw on the web including youtube and built it with the features i wanted.
Watch your local buy and sell/kijiji as they come up for sale quite often. Sell it when you are done. Likely you will get the same money for it when you sell.

Took a minute to find one. Asking 1400.
6DDD11C3-1C82-4C48-B72B-31CD6B2BEAC8.png

Hello Tooljunkie. Thank you for the info. Took a look on Kijiji and yes some are available. New also seen. Cost is very reasonable even for a new one.

I have a Whirly Jig brand, and love it! They are very well thought out, and are very popular here in the states. I stumbled into mine for a dirt cheap price, but had to drive about 5 hours to pick it up. It had been used 1 time, and the dude sold it!
Home - Whirly Jig

I have the Whirly Jig also and it works very well. I probably will not do another car though. I'm not sure they are still manufactured any more, I think the guy retired and his son didn't continue the business?

If you want something ready made, I suggest going to a body/restoration shop in your area and see what they like.

Welcome from Ontario. I am also in Ontario. I was looking at the same rotisseries on Kijiji and being cheap and enjoy building stuff I found plans on line and made my own. If you take into account the time taken to build it it probably cost about the same as buying one. Only difference is mine is built to my needs and built way overkill.

20191116_175739.jpg

20191121_194005.jpg

20191117_181130.jpg

20190113_160307.jpg

Welcome from Ontario. I am also in Ontario. I was looking at the same rotisseries on Kijiji and being cheap and enjoy building stuff I found plans on line and made my own. If you take into account the time taken to build it it probably cost about the same as buying one. Only difference is mine is built to my needs and built way overkill.

View attachment 1715442577

View attachment 1715442578

View attachment 1715442579

View attachment 1715442580
That’s nice!

Another vote for the Whirly-Jig. Eric Emerson is indeed still producing them last time I spoke to him. My old swap space at Carlisle was next to them back in the late 90's-early 2000's. Good people. They are not the most inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. The recriver hitch option is handy for moving them.

After pricing used rotisseries in my area, it made sense to buy new. Not gonna lie, price was my driving force. I took a chance on the US Car tool 3000 # model at $900. It works just fine once car balance point is found.

I bought this basic one from a company in Indiana about 7 years ago. I have used it for sheetmetal work on 2 different cars now. I is very handy, and one of the best things I have purchased for my shop. I was only about 2 hrs away from the manufacturer - so i was able to drive down and get it. There are a lot of shops making these - maybe there is one up there near you? My opinion: for material costs and time, you are $$$ ahead to buy instead of build.

20151008_195612.jpg

Buy vs build, i slowly accumulated my parts/ metal. so it wasnt a lump sum all at once.
other thing is living in the outskirts it isnt so easy to order something and have it delivered.

buy is quick, and if you put any value on your time,you come out ahead to buy.

Buy vs build, i slowly accumulated my parts/ metal. so it wasnt a lump sum all at once.
other thing is living in the outskirts it isnt so easy to order something and have it delivered.

buy is quick, and if you put any value on your time,you come out ahead to buy.

I did the same. I bought the plans and a bunch of laser cut parts from a guy on line (ones that would be difficult or a pain to cut myself), as well as tyhe hardware kit. Then I bought all my metal from a local guy that sells for scrap weight value (mostly new overstock metal, but some used). Saved a bundle. I bought heavier than spec for some and modified the design on a couple things I wanted to improve upon. With purchase of jacks and castors I figure I'm about $800 - $900 in plus my time. Had I bought new it would've been cheaper if you consider my time to weld and paint, plus drilling all the required holes, but I enjoyed building mine and I know what I have. You have to consider all factors before you start.

Another vote for the Whirly-Jig. Eric Emerson is indeed still producing them last time I spoke to him. My old swap space at Carlisle was next to them back in the late 90's-early 2000's. Good people. They are not the most inexpensive, but you get what you pay for. The recriver hitch option is handy for moving them.

Edit: From your comment I take it you have been in contact with them sometime in the LAST COUPLE YEARS?

Thanks for that update, glad Eric is still running the biz. I questioned their operation only because I had not seen them for about the last 10 years at ANY of the shows that I used to see them at. Also it seemed that their website had not been changed or updated for years either, so I was "questioning" not stating as "fact" whether they were still operating. I had dealt almost exclusively with Warren back then, great guy and hope he's still doing well!

Last edited:
Hello All. Good suggestions and conclusions. I was drawing the same conclusions while doing a little research and of course taking into considerations all of your worthy suggestions. Will need to begin to check out who builds such equipment in Ontario. Thanks again to everyone. Will keep you posted as to the progress.

Check out resto revolver Canadian made way better quality than any others I have seen or used , yes I have one and love it .

-
Back