Rotor Hitting Caliper Bracket

-

siuauto

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 71 duster with tubular upper control arms with the bigger ball joint to accept a disc brake spindle. I have a pin type caliper bracket and 73 duster rotors. The rotor is rubbing on the caliper bracket and the inner pad does not fit in between the rotor and caliper bracket. The conversion was done 10 years ago and it was time to replace the pads so i replaced the rotors due to hot spot marks. Does a 73 A body rotor not work with a pin type caliper bracket? No part number on the old rotor to cross reference but my old set up worked just fine.

A 73+ A body rotor should work just fine with pin type calipers. 73/74 B/E bodies ran pin type calipers with the 73+ rotors. There are a couple calipers with brake hose locations that don’t work on A-bodies, but none should have a rotor to caliper bracket problem.

Pictures would help a ton here, especially if you have some kind of aftermarket brake conversion instead of something stock.

If OEM BBP swap Does the caliper adapter match the diameter of the rotor? In other words there is an adapter for the small rotor and one for the larger almost 12" rotor.

Also, check to be sure those tubular A-Arms with articulate fully to the pump stop. I had to trim with a grinder the mounting gussets some to get them to clear.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I have a 71 duster with tubular upper control arms with the bigger ball joint to accept a disc brake spindle. I have a pin type caliper bracket and 73 duster rotors. The rotor is rubbing on the caliper bracket and the inner pad does not fit in between the rotor and caliper bracket. The conversion was done 10 years ago and it was time to replace the pads so i replaced the rotors due to hot spot marks. Does a 73 A body rotor not work with a pin type caliper bracket? No part number on the old rotor to cross reference but my old set up worked just fine.

So all the hard parts were the same for 10 years and all you've changed is the rotor and the pads?

• Something goofy with the new rotor or bearings. Look at the old rotor and new.
  • When you lay them flat are the rim faces the same height?
  • Are you replacing rotors on both sides? Do they both rub the same?
  • I'm thinking wrong rotor. Either boxed by mistake or ordered wrong.
  • Are the inner bearings the same diameter in your old rotor and new rotor?
  • You might have 70-72 B-body spindles with the smaller inner bearing. When you put the 73 duster rotor it would improperly seat on the spindle cause it's too big of diameter.

Last edited:
So all the hard parts were the same for 10 years and all you've changed is the rotor and the pads?

• Something goofy with rotor or bearings. Look at the old rotor and new.
  • When you lay them flat are the rim faces the same height?
  • Are you replacing rotors on both sides? Do they both rub the same?
  • I'm thinking wrong rotor. Either boxed by mistake or ordered wrong.
  • Are the inner bearings the same diameter in your old rotor and new rotor?
  • You might have 70-72 B-body spindles with the smaller inner bearing. When you put the 73 duster rotor it's going improperly seating on the spindle cause it's too big diameter.

Yes! Especially on the 70-72 B/E body rotor. If you use a 73+ rotor on the 70-72 B/E body spindles it will not sit into the bearing correctly and can cause interference. The spindles look almost identical to the 73+ spindles too, really the only big difference is the inner bearing diameter. Been there, done that.

Yes! Especially on the 70-72 B/E body rotor. If you use a 73+ rotor on the 70-72 B/E body spindles it will not sit into the bearing correctly and can cause interference. The spindles look almost identical to the 73+ spindles too, really the only big difference is the inner bearing diameter. Been there, done that.

Since it has 10.95 rotors and pin type calipers that original combo would be from a 70-72 B/E body with small inner bearing. OR from a 73-74 E-body with large inner bearings.

Now, for sure someone can mix and match things. It's not impossible. Just not as common.

siuauto, did you do this brake swap from a junked 73-76 A-body? Or did a previous owner, or was it sold to you as a used kit already off a car?

Nonetheless... it is what it is. You gotta move forward.

If you can confirm it's a small bearing spindle, Dr Diff sells a spacer to make up for the difference. '70 - '72 Mopar B/E-Body Disc Brake Spindle Sleaves

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. It ended up being an issue with a brand new Raybestes rotor. One of my new rotors worked fine and the other rubbed on both the driver and passenger side. I ended machining the original rotor that was on the car and all is good now. I guess that makes sense sits all of these parts worked together for the last 10 years.

-
Back