Rotor replacement

-

Jim910

Reaction score
Hello, I'm about to replace the rotors on my 67 Barracuda Formula S equipped with K/H front disc brakes (manual). I have the shop manual and I see that the rotors bolt to the back of the hub. It looks pretty straightforward but I would appreciate any tips or suggestions. Also having the calipers completely rebuilt. I'm aware of upgrade options but I'm keeping everything stock for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

The rotors do install from behind the hub, but they are held on by the splines in the wheel studs. Knock the studs out, the rotors come off.

Negative. Not the rotors. Drums, yes, rotors no.
Ok, I'm a little confused between the two replies. The shop manual says the rotors bolt onto the hub. If this is incorrect and the rotors press onto studs then I'll order new studs before I start.

Ok, I'm a little confused between the two replies. The shop manual says the rotors bolt onto the hub. If this is incorrect and the rotors press onto studs then I'll order new studs before I start.
It is incorrect. They simply phrased it wrong. I've done the job many times and used the same studs. If you're really careful and use a pointed punch, you can drive them right out and never hurt a thread. I just rebuilt a set recently and did this. The only reason I did replace five studs was because one side had left hand thread studs and I wanted all right hand.

It is incorrect. They simply phrased it wrong. I've done the job many times and used the same studs. If you're really careful and use a pointed punch, you can drive them right out and never hurt a thread. I just rebuilt a set recently and did this. The only reason I did replace five studs was because one side had left hand thread studs and I wanted all right hand.
Ok, thanks. Good advice. I have the long lug nuts that stick through the hubcaps so I'll try to reuse the studs.

Ok, thanks. Good advice. I have the long lug nuts that stick through the hubcaps so I'll try to reuse the studs.
uhhh.....be careful there. Make SURE those aren't fake lug nuts attached to the the wheel covers. Are they rally wheels with a center cap? Those would be one of the few exceptions I could think of there.

Did you have any issues with runout with the new rotors? Did you have to get them cut?

No, they're the fake mags with the center cap and the holes for the long lugs to poke through. I believe they came with the Formula S package. Very original car.

No, they're the fake mags with the center cap and the holes for the long lugs to poke through. I believe they came with the Formula S package. Very original car.
Ok cool. Must be these.
BARRACUDA WHEEL COVERS.jpg

Negative. Not the rotors. Drums, yes, rotors no.

Originals were swedged. If the rotors have been replaced they are not swedged. It is easy to tell, if you can see the countersink and hole around the stud, they have been replaced. The swedge covers these the countersink and through hole on original rotor hubs. If yours looks like the bottom picture you are good to go. If not, they are original and swedged.

6pk2goDemon's KH Disc.JPG

Inertia's KH disc.jpg

K-H A Disc Swedged Stud.jpg

K-H A Discs 2.JPG

Last edited:
Originals were swedged. If the rotors have been replaced they are not swedged. It is easy to tell, if you can see the countersink and hole around the stud, they have been replaced. The swedge covers these the countersink and through hole on original rotor hubs. If yours looks like the bottom picture you are good to go. If not, they are original and swedged.

View attachment 1715846722

View attachment 1715846723

View attachment 1715846724

View attachment 1715846725
Well how bout that? I've done several sets and none were. I cannot imagine they were not original.

Well how bout that? I've done several sets and none were. I cannot imagine they were not original.

I got onto it, because a friend was probably the best front end guy I have ever seen. He warned me about it since he knew I had a bunch of low mile original A Body K-H brakes on my cars. Checked my stash and sure enough, there it was.

You can use a hole saw over the stud and cut to "almost" the hub and press it out.
You can drill out the back of the stud from inside and press it from the inside out, which ruins the stud.
Just press it out and hope you don't damage the rotor.

I'm sure the others.

I think the swedge was shallower that the ones on the drums. I'm with Rob, the K-H ones I've done (2 sets) were not swedged.

-
Back