RTV on Water Pump?

-

Robb

Reaction score
Who uses it? Just courious as I have my old pump out, and I am slightly concerned about keeping the gasket in place while reconnecting the a/c...

Yep, just a smig and spread out with your finger to a thin coat, let it tac up and place in pump, do the same on the otherside and install it.

Yeah...or better yet, spray on gasket glue.....
Be sure to install the gasket on CORRECT! It fits both ways but will only seal if mounted right....(small block water pump)

Yeah...or better yet, spray on gasket glue.....
Be sure to install the gasket on CORRECT! It fits both ways but will only seal if mounted right....(small block water pump)

Tell me more... How do tell the correct way? Wont it only go one way? it is not symmetrical ... is it?

If it is wrong it could leak at the top corner next to the center bolt...as the gasket will barely catch. THe gasket fits the bolts either way. Lay your new gasket on the pump both ways and you will see the curves fit one way....trust me.
Kori

I pull the gasket between 2 fingers applying rtv to both sides at once. Only enough to coat the gasket and make it sticky. Before rtv we used bearing grease.Grease will actually work better where the mating surfaces aren't bone dry. RTV doesn't take over water very well at all.

thanks all... i will be sure to use it on the install... I usually dont use anything tn a t-stat, but that is a lot easier to get to than a pump if it leaks...

have not used a water pump gasket in years...only use rtv

or a timing chain cover gasket...

I used gaskasinch when I first put mine together, then, as luck would have it, had to take it off again. I used RTV the second time, getting a gasket off that has gaskasinch is a pain.

I used gaskasinch when I first put mine together, then, as luck would have it, had to take it off again. I used RTV the second time, getting a gasket off that has gaskasinch is a pain.
That's why I use Permatex's gasket sealer...it stays flexable at lets you scrape the gasket right off

-
Back