RTV, Permatex, Aviation Form-A-Gasket, The right stuff etc....

-
A good RTV is my go to for all that stuff, except maybe where copper coat works. I be damned if I'm gonna use fifteen products when one or two will work fine. RTV is good stuff, the key is to use it very sparingly and whatever surface you use it on needs to be operating room clean.

I used Permatex Ultra Grey to seal up SBM exhaust manifold studs, it worked where nothing else would. It is now my go to sealer for everything that needs a sealer. Must gaskets dont need sealer if installed correctly.

I used Permatex Ultra Grey to seal up SBM exhaust manifold studs, it worked where nothing else would. It is now my go to sealer for everything that needs a sealer. Must gaskets dont need sealer if installed correctly.

Yes sir. ...and no matter what, you cannot explain to people how well it works as a thread sealer who've never used it as such. And it does more than seal in the application you describe. It also acts as an anti seize agent, as it does not allow the fastener to rust or otherwise seize in place. It just flat out works.

I used the ultra black on all the bottom end stuff and used jb weld blue rtv on the intake water pump timing cover etc because it matched the paint color and isn't as noticeable visually on the engine. Funny thing that this was mentioned today because I was talking to the son of my machinist today (he is also an engine builder 3rd generation) he said he only uses and swears by it "the right stuff" ill give it a try on my next one

I used the ultra black on all the bottom end stuff and used jb weld blue rtv on the intake water pump timing cover etc because it matched the paint color and isn't as noticeable visually on the engine. Funny thing that this was mentioned today because I was talking to the son of my machinist today (he is also an engine builder 3rd generation) he said he only uses and swears by it "the right stuff" ill give it a try on my next one

The Right Stuff is just about the same as Permatex Ultra with a higher price tag. It's still RTV. I'm not knockin it. It works good, but it's high.

The Right Stuff is just about the same as Permatex Ultra with a higher price tag. It's still RTV. I'm not knockin it. It works good, but it's high.
The right stuff is the wrong stuff to use on an engine. unless you are not using a gasket. It is strictly a gasket maker.
You may as well use JB weld epoxy. imo
Don't compare it to ultra, because with ultra you don't need a chisel to get it off.

The right stuff is the wrong stuff to use on an engine. unless you are not using a gasket. It is strictly a gasket maker.
You may as well use JB weld epoxy. imo
Don't compare it to ultra, because with ultra you don't need a chisel to get it off.

Well, having never used it and planning to never use it, I don't know the difference. Thanks.

-
Back