RUBBING COMPOUND

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
I do paint & body work on classic & antique cars. I wet sand with 1500 & then buff it out. Ive been using 3m products for some time but they are getting expensive. I am looking an alternative rubbing compound that works just as good as 3m perfect it & cheaper. What do you use ?

I use the 3-step perfect-it system also, including their 3 different color polishing pads. I wet sand with 1000, 1500, 2000 and finally 2500. I agree that 3M has gotten expensive, but I think it is worth it. If you want to use a quality prodct at a decent price, look into Maguires polishes and pads. Prices are considerably lower, and the product quality is great. Plus, you can buy it at most Big Box car parts stores.

I use the 3-step perfect-it system also, including their 3 different color polishing pads. I wet sand with 1000, 1500, 2000 and finally 2500. I agree that 3M has gotten expensive, but I think it is worth it. If you want to use a quality prodct at a decent price, look into Maguires polishes and pads. Prices are considerably lower, and the product quality is great. Plus, you can buy it at most Big Box car parts stores.
Thank you I am thinking of trying Maguires but i cant find any info on them. Which one to use on 1500-2000 sand scratches. My local napa store is just down the street but they are no help. lol

Thank you I am thinking of trying Maguires but i cant find any info on them. Which one to use on 1500-2000 sand scratches. My local napa store is just down the street but they are no help. lol

I use maguires compound. Unsure how it compares in cost. Maguires uses a grit number to identify the compounds abrasiveness as well as a description of what that product will do.

Meguiars 205, 210 and 110 is what I use for paint correction. Always start with the least aggressive product first. Harbor Freight carries them as well.
Fine Cut Cleaner is another...

Agree with starting with the least aggressive product first. I usually do this and then once I get the cut I need i'll reverse the process back to aa final glaze.

I also almost always use a foam pad, not the wool pad. Less aggressive

its alot cheaper than 3m yea i use the white foam pad for cutting & taking the 1500 scratch out then i use the black foam pad with swirl remover

I had a small office with large warehouse for 15 years. The tenant few doors down was a,Malco distribution. The car wash, waxes, tire dressing, compound, polish, etc were good. He had large commercial accounts like car washes and new and used car dealers. They bought in 5 gallon and 55 gallon drums of wash, etc. So got to try lots if stuff. He would hall off drums and buckets with products in the bottom. So I used the free stuff as well.
Never had a problem with any of the Malco line.
Some of it is available on Amazon.
The Compound and Polish was good.
Used Transtar as,well for Compound and Polish.
I know ya never asked but for a,quick clean to dust off or light debris Malco "Show Room Shine"
For a,quick clean off does windows too.
Used it a,ton at car shows to do a quick clean up.

Last edited:
On their website, they have a catalog of their "Professional" products. Page 16 lists the compounds. They sell pads also. They also have a toll-free number. You could tell them what you are using now and ask them what they have closest to that. Just between you and me, after the 1500 grit, I think you should consider sanding again with a finer grit. 1500 seems pretty fine but polishing out 2500 grit sanding scratches is way easier and faster.

On their website, they have a catalog of their "Professional" products. Page 16 lists the compounds. They sell pads also. They also have a toll-free number. You could tell them what you are using now and ask them what they have closest to that. Just between you and me, after the 1500 grit, I think you should consider sanding again with a finer grit. 1500 seems pretty fine but polishing out 2500 grit sanding scratches is way easier and faster.
I agree i never had problems buffing out 1500 or 2000 grit scratches if i put 4 coats of clear on i start with 1000 and work my way up to 3000

-
Back