"Run and Gun" Fantasy or Practical?

-

seabee

Reaction score
With all the hype in the booming tactical market at what point is it more fantasy than function? Has anyone been in a home invasion situation where their hunting shotgun limited their ability to "sweep" the house or the lack of 2 extra shells cost them in a raging gun battle? Or where their 8 capacity 1911 got them in the weeds against a marauding biker gang? Or that

I can understand the fun and hobby of it, I like cool s**t too, but more and more these fanatsy situation are becoming the reasoning behind the market.

What's your take on tactical doo-dads and their effect on the outcome of their intended use?

No wrong answers. And NO POLITICS please.

i'll say this... I can hit 25 out of 30 (circling on an arc) from about 70yrd (as far as the area would let us go) with open sights on my AR and I can hit 5 out of 7 at about 35ft with my 3.5" 1911. some days better and some worse of course but that's pretty steady for me running.

im a big believer in the KISS theory so I keep my stuff light and useful... and most important RELIABLE!

Remington or Mossberg 12GA, fuggetaboutit.

Which of the two 870's would serve their purpose in a "Home Defense" situation?

This one:
870%20tact%20w%20light.JPG

Or this one:
images

And why?

An AR is a horrible option in a home invasion situation unless you live alone and miles out in the country.

Sure, you may kill the bad guys but you may also kill your kids in the next room, the old lady out walking her dog, or the neighbor watching TV and drinking a beer on his couch.

Spending time in prison for manslaughter (self-defense doesn't apply if a stray bullet hits an unintended target) would suck.

I can cover my entire house with a shotgun or 2. In a different situation, like out in the field, another gun may be more appropriate.

It's an interesting question. I would like to see some of the answers on this one. I know several folks who are "prepping" for what seems like an invasion.

always preferred the lighter guage 410 or 20g for home defense , knock em down , disable em , finish em with less risk to the neighbors or invited guests , less recoil means better time on target in stress situations , I also prefer the angles and quadrant method of clearing to the run and gun ,I know my way around my house in the dark better than any intruder so I will use the knowledge to work my way through with minimum exposure , i'm not too proud to knee cap you or blow your foot off before I kill you ,it's not like your going to tell anybody afterwords . out in the field well "when the man with the pistol meets the man with the rifle the man with the pistol die's ", distance and firepower rule eh !.

PS as for tacticool lights and lasers , you may as well stomp your feet and yell here I am , silence and the darkness is my friend when I know the outlines of my furniture in the dark and you don't .

I think we're getting a little off subject................we could print miles of discussion on what gun or ammo works best for what situation and everybody will always have a different opinion.

I'm interested in if tactical accessories make a difference in real-world, non military, situations enough to warrant the hype.

Which of the two 870's would serve their purpose in a "Home Defense" situation?

This one:
870%20tact%20w%20light.JPG

Or this one:
images

And why?

I like the shorter weapon so it doesn't get caught up in doorways and gives any perp less leverage to get it out of my hands if I'm surprised while clearing my house and will lessen the chance of banging it on something. I have a small 200lumen flashlight on the end of my pump shotty for one reason only... court testimony. Prosecutor: How could you have possibly known mr. Jerkoff had a weapon? Me: Well sir, I have a 200 lumen flashlight on the end my shotgun...

All the other crap is a waste of time and just adds weight. The zombie guys dig it though... An 18" coach style shotgun would do just fine as well.

I would say for your average home invasion no,but for a situation such as the L.A. riots absolutelty.

Thanks Ramcharger. A flashlight is an add on that makes sense and I could see that making a difference in a home invasion type scenario.

For me personally, I would never consider clearing my house. We are all upstairs at night so if someone managed to get into the house and passed the barking dog they can take whatever they want down there. I'll have my sights on the top of the stairs until the cops arrived.

You say "no politics" but your question REEKS of politics. There have been documented cases of shootouts, some of them FBI, where the "good guys" were outgunned.

You don't prepare for the best, or the average. You prepare for the worst. It's OK to hope for the best.

I'd say that in "most" situations the Great Big Barrel of ANY shotgun is going to impress, and it is a CERTAINTY that the distinct sound of a pump being cycled is going to make even the most drug infested douchebag start to engage the two brain cells he has left. Around here, hunting shotguns are limited to 3 rounds. Only three is not what I want in that late night, bleary eyed encounter.

Home defense : Short barreled 12g w/ extendable stock makes for easier handling one handed between arm and body for opening of doors.

Extended mag tube for those two extra rounds down range.

Very seldom see LEO or Military use the folding stock or pistol grip furniture for a reason.

You say "no politics" but your question REEKS of politics. There have been documented cases of shootouts, some of them FBI, where the "good guys" were outgunned.

You don't prepare for the best, or the average. You prepare for the worst. It's OK to hope for the best.

I'd say that in "most" situations the Great Big Barrel of ANY shotgun is going to impress, and it is a CERTAINTY that the distinct sound of a pump being cycled is going to make even the most drug infested douchebag start to engage the two brain cells he has left. Around here, hunting shotguns are limited to 3 rounds. Only three is not what I want in that late night, bleary eyed encounter.

Trust me ,If I made a thread to impose my political views on the 2nd amendment we would be talking about which bazooka is more fun to shoot.

Your points on the good guys being out gunned brings up a good point. I often see videos and discussion about what works for police or military situations used to promote such and such product or accessory for the common gun owner like myself.

You know a bunch of this can can be attributed to the the same thing we do to our cars.
Do we need a 400x retinal detaching aperture with wireless link to the the lightsaber and photon torpedo array? No.
Do we need the 6-71 blown Hemi with 4 speed? No.

A .357 wheel gun will get you down the road just as well as a 225/6.

I find that tactical accessories are a crutch. About the only useful one I've seen is a flashlight. I think a lot of the time it's a look what I have thing to brag to my buddy at the gun range. People look at me funny when I pull out my bare Kimber Gold Match and my Iron sight AR-15 and hit better than 90%

Honestly, If I was in a true gun fight situation, I'd be looking for a back door and to create a distraction to allow me to escape and live another day. Although I'm very comfortable with firearms and I know I can shoot with good accuracy, I'm not all that interested in being in the middle of a gun fight.

I find that tactical accessories are a crutch. About the only useful one I've seen is a flashlight. I think a lot of the time it's a look what I have thing to brag to my buddy at the gun range. People look at me funny when I pull out my bare Kimber Gold Match and my Iron sight AR-15 and hit better than 90%

Honestly, If I was in a true gun fight situation, I'd be looking for a back door and to create a distraction to allow me to escape and live another day. Although I'm very comfortable with firearms and I know I can shoot with good accuracy, I'm not all that interested in being in the middle of a gun fight.

Me neither. This kind of reminds me of my single shot H&R .410 when I go small game or bird hunting. My buddys think it's funny that I always bring that gun but I've had it since I was 10 and I rarely miss with it. I've had other shotguns over the years but that one is the one I like best and shoot best with. Meanwhile they are "spray n pray"ing the tree tops and skies with their semi-autos. What gamesmen :wack:

People look at me funny when I pull out my bare Kimber Gold Match and my Iron sight AR-15 and hit better than 90%

You might in a controlled situation. If you were thrust into a high pressure situation with multiple moving targets, your accuracy would more than likely drop off tremendously.

There are two doo dads I like, flashlight and laser. A laser will help you get on target much easier in a high stress situation.

"tactical" is in the mind of the attacker and defender.
Accessories are of little real world consequence unless it's a light. (which I wouldn't use anyway in a real "tactical" situation)
Dark and a good knife is fine.

"tactical" is in the mind of the attacker and defender.
Accessories are of little real world consequence unless it's a light. (which I wouldn't use anyway in a real "tactical" situation)
Dark and a good knife is fine.

Ok Arnold..........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjfvx-k1Ms"]PREDATOR - STICK AROUND - KNIFE THROW - YouTube[/ame]

All the other crap is a waste of time and just adds weight. The zombie guys dig it though...

I've recently been researching (a man word for shopping) for another 12ga.. I'm surprised at how often people reference zombies. I know it's half joking, but maybe the zombie apocalypse is so common place in our society that it actually does have an influence on the market. I think zombie apocolypse culture is fun but it's kind of weird to see adults arguing over which gun or accessories are imperative to surviving one. And meaning it.

316319_10150349685928369_80176223368_8118710_1939886866_n.jpg

hey, someone being honest for a change (I laugh at all the big-talking when in reality people would be hiding under a bed somewhere lol).

-
Back