Run electric fans all the time?

Heating / Cooling / AC

1. yellow rose

yellow rose Overnight Sensation

Local Time:
    9:09 PM

Well WTF??? I’ve told those morons that the WP pulleys are interchangeable. Like I said, I have big block part numbered pulley one either the crank or the water pump.

They should be able to change that ginormous WP pulley for something smaller.

2. yellow rose

Local Time:
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • DrCharles

DrCharles Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      11:09 PM
      OK... I'll wait until you get a chance to look them up.
      I prefer to order by actual part number rather than "fits make/model/year" just like the chain parts stores :)
      This is encouraging - perhaps the serpentine will work out after all, and I just buy three pulleys.

• yellow rose

Local Time:

Just looked a bit closer at what I linked, and it looks like that stuff has some spacers and crap. I’ll look my crap up when I get home.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • yellow rose

Local Time:
        Ok, got home yesterday afternoon and I was BLOWN out. So I just dug up my paper work. Here is what I bought for pulleys from CVF.

BCRL2CR-HF which is a high flow crank pulley for a BIG BLOCK with one groove

BCRL1WP-A which is a single groove BIG BLOCK water pump pulley with one groove.

That will get you just a bit better than 1:1.
        That was the best I could do without going to a serpentine belt, which I now wish I’d have sucked it up and done it, because now I get to spend twice.

If you are interested in my two pulleys, let me know. Maybe we can work something out. I’m definitely going serpentine so I don’t need them.

Plus, I want to speed the pump up some more. I’ll dig out my catalog and look and see what else I can use, but I think I’m stuck with what I have (not sticking with that) or going to the serpentine belt. I’m going with the latter.

YR

• DrCharles

Local Time:
        I'm interested... PM me with details. :) Your mailbox is full so I can't PM you.
        Did you need any tricks with spacers, adapters, etc.?

I looked at the numbers in the online catalog and they show the WP pulley is only 2" deep. Mine is a hair under 3". Unless it lines up with the second groove on the crank pulley?

I'd definitely rather try a pulley swap first than yet another (2-tube this time) aluminum radiator...
        Those pulley numbers you have will give a 6.4/6.2 ratio which is about 3% overdrive. Better than the stock 5 or 8% underdrive! If it makes any difference at all then I'll know I'm on the right track.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
      • oldkimmer

oldkimmer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        What size is the top pulley?

• DrCharles

Local Time:
        It just about touches the bottom pulley (in fact it doesn't clear the outer unused PS groove which is over 7"). I think it's 6-7/8" diameter, if I remember right.

I finally got my Autocool PWM fan controller installed this afternoon! It works perfectly, at least idling in the driveway until warm and going for a couple miles on the dirt roads up to 40 mph. Stayed right on 180 the entire time :) I think part of the problem is that high 190's that I was running with just a switch is simply too hot and the engine and carb don't like it...

I didn't get a chance to go for a highway run yet. If the temps won't stay in the mid-180's on the highway, then I need a better (read: more expensive) radiator. But it wasn't overheating before - just running a bit hotter than I wanted (195-198). Either way it's good. That little blue box and the companion sensor in the hose was $250 but worth it. After reading a lot of reviews, the cheaper ones have a reputation for blowing up or not working at all...

Now I need to get back to fixing that oil leak (again). :realcrazy:

DSCF0179.JPG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
        • Like Like x 1
        • oldkimmer

oldkimmer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
          Check my post on big block p/s pulleys. Kim

• DrCharles

Local Time:
          I went to the Friday night cruise-in at the Steak & Shake. It was a bit cooler (around 80F). The temp stayed on 180 until I got to the highway, then it very slowly increased to a maximum of 184. Came back down to 182 when I got into town. :)

Same thing coming home - never climbed above 184. Of course I can't hear what the fans are doing, but the controller is smooth and I no longer have the problem with the full fan load suddenly kicking on and dropping the idle too much. I think I'll just leave well enough alone since I already know with the old temp switch it didn't get above the mid 190's even in 95 degree weather. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
          1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.