Run electric fans all the time?

-
OK... I'll wait until you get a chance to look them up.
I prefer to order by actual part number rather than "fits make/model/year" just like the chain parts stores :)
This is encouraging - perhaps the serpentine will work out after all, and I just buy three pulleys.

OK... I'll wait until you get a chance to look them up.
I prefer to order by actual part number rather than "fits make/model/year" just like the chain parts stores :)
This is encouraging - perhaps the serpentine will work out after all, and I just buy three pulleys.

Just looked a bit closer at what I linked, and it looks like that stuff has some spacers and crap. I’ll look my crap up when I get home.

Ok, got home yesterday afternoon and I was BLOWN out. So I just dug up my paper work. Here is what I bought for pulleys from CVF.

BCRL2CR-HF which is a high flow crank pulley for a BIG BLOCK with one groove

BCRL1WP-A which is a single groove BIG BLOCK water pump pulley with one groove.

That will get you just a bit better than 1:1.
That was the best I could do without going to a serpentine belt, which I now wish I’d have sucked it up and done it, because now I get to spend twice.

If you are interested in my two pulleys, let me know. Maybe we can work something out. I’m definitely going serpentine so I don’t need them.

Plus, I want to speed the pump up some more. I’ll dig out my catalog and look and see what else I can use, but I think I’m stuck with what I have (not sticking with that) or going to the serpentine belt. I’m going with the latter.

YR

I'm interested... PM me with details. :) Your mailbox is full so I can't PM you.
Did you need any tricks with spacers, adapters, etc.?

I looked at the numbers in the online catalog and they show the WP pulley is only 2" deep. Mine is a hair under 3". Unless it lines up with the second groove on the crank pulley?

I'd definitely rather try a pulley swap first than yet another (2-tube this time) aluminum radiator...
Those pulley numbers you have will give a 6.4/6.2 ratio which is about 3% overdrive. Better than the stock 5 or 8% underdrive! If it makes any difference at all then I'll know I'm on the right track.

Last edited:
It just about touches the bottom pulley (in fact it doesn't clear the outer unused PS groove which is over 7"). I think it's 6-7/8" diameter, if I remember right.

I finally got my Autocool PWM fan controller installed this afternoon! It works perfectly, at least idling in the driveway until warm and going for a couple miles on the dirt roads up to 40 mph. Stayed right on 180 the entire time :) I think part of the problem is that high 190's that I was running with just a switch is simply too hot and the engine and carb don't like it...

I didn't get a chance to go for a highway run yet. If the temps won't stay in the mid-180's on the highway, then I need a better (read: more expensive) radiator. But it wasn't overheating before - just running a bit hotter than I wanted (195-198). Either way it's good. That little blue box and the companion sensor in the hose was $250 but worth it. After reading a lot of reviews, the cheaper ones have a reputation for blowing up or not working at all...

Now I need to get back to fixing that oil leak (again). :realcrazy:

DSCF0179.JPG

Last edited:
I went to the Friday night cruise-in at the Steak & Shake. It was a bit cooler (around 80F). The temp stayed on 180 until I got to the highway, then it very slowly increased to a maximum of 184. Came back down to 182 when I got into town. :)

Same thing coming home - never climbed above 184. Of course I can't hear what the fans are doing, but the controller is smooth and I no longer have the problem with the full fan load suddenly kicking on and dropping the idle too much. I think I'll just leave well enough alone since I already know with the old temp switch it didn't get above the mid 190's even in 95 degree weather. :thumbsup:

-
Back