Running electric

-
I've worked for the power company for 40 years, with the majority of it as a lineman. I don't know who your power company is, but if they need an 80' right of way for a distribution line....they are :realcrazy: ! Ours are 30' wide for an overhead line, 15' from center on either side. That is plenty for us. If you're going underground, the cost of the wire is tremendously more expensive than overhead wire. Think of it this way. A 7200 volt overhead line only needs to be insulated where it touches a pole. An insulator and bracket that holds it are bolted to the top of the pole, and the wire layed on the insulator and tied in. Pretty inexpensive to do it that way. That same 7200 volt line buried in the ground has to have insulation built into the wire for the entire length, and it ain't cheap! It also has to have the neutral wire built into it and protected from the earth, which adds to the cost. I'm not defending the power company that gave you the quote, just trying to make sense of the costs involved. Maybe if you could dig the ditch and bury the pipe for them, it would ease the cost some. If they could split the difference between your new house, and new shop....they could run a service to the house and shop from the same transformer, instead of using 2 transformers. Unless your shop will be a really long ways from the house, you could put a 320 amp meter base on the house, and run the service to the shop from a 200 amp disconnect. You could also have a 200 amp service for the house. Before somebody jumps on the "That's 400 amps" bandwagon......a 320 amp base will easily handle it, and is according to the NEC code book. Hope some of this helped.

Going underground is a smart move and one you will be thankful for after the first storm that would have knocked a tree into the lines and caused you to lose power.
Not truly off the grid but the shop at work was converted over to solar about 4 or 5 years ago. We went from a $400 to $600/ month electric bill to a $0 electric bill. We do not get paid for the excess but create enough that it was an easy sell to convince the boss to ac the entire building since it would only be the equipment cost he was paying for. Being a business the building is empty at night so we don’t have that draw and is empty on the weekends so the power made on those days offset anything we happen to draw off of the grid at other times.

Unless all of the solar panels, the inverters, the wiring, the labor to install it, and the mounting hardware were all free, the electric bill is NOT $0 a month. If you were to amortize the expenses over any side by side time period, I bet the $400-600 a month was actually cheaper. Don't forget, when those panels go tits up, and they will, you will have to get rid of them.

$400-600 a month in electricity @ $0.10 a kWhr is using about 4,000-6,000 kWh each month. To produce 4-6 kWh's worth of electricity you'd have to install enough solar panels to provide between 35,000 to 50,000 watts according to a calculator I found online. At about $1 a watt just for panels, that's a sizeable chunk of change to invest. Installation costs for 250 panels is probably equal to if not more that just the cost of the panels. Take the entire amount of doing this, invest it in a stock index fund, and I'd wager that he'd have been money ahead to just keep paying the electric bill.

Unless all of the solar panels, the inverters, the wiring, the labor to install it, and the mounting hardware were all free, the electric bill is NOT $0 a month. If you were to amortize the expenses over any side by side time period, I bet the $400-600 a month was actually cheaper. Don't forget, when those panels go tits up, and they will, you will have to get rid of them.

$400-600 a month in electricity @ $0.10 a kWhr is using about 4,000-6,000 kWh each month. To produce 4-6 kWh's worth of electricity you'd have to install enough solar panels to provide between 35,000 to 50,000 watts according to a calculator I found online. At about $1 a watt just for panels, that's a sizeable chunk of change to invest. Installation costs for 250 panels is probably equal to if not more that just the cost of the panels. Take the entire amount of doing this, invest it in a stock index fund, and I'd wager that he'd have been money ahead to just keep paying the electric bill.
some places of the country, the per KWH is over .30 cents. so in those places, solar/wind make more sense.

Total cost to install was just over $75k. After government and utility rebates that were going on at the time the out of pocket expense was $8200. It paid for itself after the first two years. Missed getting paid for the overage produced by a year. They dropped that the year before we installed or it would have been a profit making instrument. Now only being open during the daylight hours and no weekends helps in what is generated for the month.

Total cost to install was just over $75k. After government and utility rebates that were going on at the time the out of pocket expense was $8200. It paid for itself after the first two years. Missed getting paid for the overage produced by a year. They dropped that the year before we installed or it would have been a profit making instrument. Now only being open during the daylight hours and no weekends helps in what is generated for the month.

So John Q Taxpayer is getting screwed over. Outstanding.

Don;'t make the rules just take advantage of them when they come up. A few years back the Government required the utilities to generate so much of their electric by "green" means. To do that they had to get John Q on board and the only way that was going to happen waas to discount the cost of the install.

On a side note up in this part of the country, Avista Utilities (WA --ID) is getting poised to be bought out by SOME CANADIAN OUTFIT IN ONTARIO.

Personally, I do not think ANY U.S. infrastructure, roads, bridges, water, phones, or power etc should be owned or operated by a foreign entity

Don;'t make the rules just take advantage of them when they come up. A few years back the Government required the utilities to generate so much of their electric by "green" means. To do that they had to get John Q on board and the only way that was going to happen waas to discount the cost of the install.

So says every welfare Momma.

I thought the government was going to pay for some of that solar panel installation cost?
If not screw that, let Al Gore loosen his climate Change wallet
And make solar systems worth while.
Isn't that the objective?

Ha right.

21K? The 1000MCM was scrapping for $$ a long time ago. We'd cut us off a slice on the back end of a old scrap spool and go get emergency lunch money. 2 feet would buy us a $6 happy meal. Can you use AL 1000MCM? may be 1/3 price of copper.

21K? The 1000MCM was scrapping for $$ a long time ago. We'd cut us off a slice on the back end of a old scrap spool and go get emergency lunch money. 2 feet would buy us a $6 happy meal. Can you use AL 1000MCM? may be 1/3 price of copper.
According to the engineer, to use the aluminum wire, I'd have to go with 1500 mcm which costs nearly the same as the 1000 million copper, .29 cents a foot difference

Just spoke to an electrical contractor today about this very subject. He recently built a new house 700' from the road... and power.

He said WI Public Service installed one transformer, laid underground cable and hooked up his service for $7500.00 complete. He said he had never seen the cost go over $10g for a similar deal.

Quite a difference!

Just spoke to an electrical contractor today about this very subject. He recently built a new house 700' from the road... and power.

He said WI Public Service installed one transformer, laid underground cable and hooked up his service for $7500.00 complete. He said he had never seen the cost go over $10g for a similar deal.

Quite a difference!
Thanks!!!

-
Back