I have some machinists tools that are slightly rusty/tarnished
My question what do I use to clean up the rust ? Enviro-Rust ? Suggestions
I plan to use fluid film after cleaning For future storage
Inside mike. Only the rods
Trammel. All parts
Thanks

09F55932-5583-449E-ADC2-9BEE8834469F.png

219EE144-ACCB-4636-983E-3C0D034C20CC.png

I would just rub them down with WD40, It will clean off the rust and leave a coating so they don't rust.

Put them in a pan with apple cider vinegar for a few days. Then wash them off real good.

Preach it brother. I was just gonna post that. I use white vinegar but either will work.

White vinegar will attack aluminum, be careful with it. Works great on cast steel but took the finish off a chrome piston pin. Enviro-rust is good stuff, very safe.

Looking at the photos- be careful with the dial for the inside mic.
Don’t submerge that!

Also a supporter of Evapo-Rust. I'd rinse & dry well; then follow up with a wiped-down of ATF or MMO on a rag.
Just so you know, HSS will likely get really dark in color (maybe even black) in Evapo-Rust. No harm, but just FYI.

I'm just no longer a fan of Evaporust. I was at first, but it loses its effectiveness quickly. Very quickly. Besides, the vinegar works MUCH better and KEEPS working. It's also much cheaper. What's NOT to love?

I'm just no longer a fan of Evaporust. I was at first, but it loses its effectiveness quickly. Very quickly. Besides, the vinegar works MUCH better and KEEPS working. It's also much cheaper. What's NOT to love?

Yeah I like vinegar too, awesome stuff. I have had ER stain things if left too long. Can't stand that. UCA's I did with vinegar looked brand new.

I would use Evapo-Rust, but don't soak too long. Start out with 30 minute intervals. The Micrometer head should be disassembled before cleaning if for no other reason than to get the rust remover out and a fresh coat of oil in. In fact I would disassemble each tool with threaded together components. Machined surfaces can be brightened/polished with mild Scotchbrite, but not on satin chrome like is on the inside mic set. Blued or blackened parts can be touched up with cold bluing compound available at your local sporting goods store. But go easy. Don't try to make them look "new," just stop and remove any active rust and knock off the scale.

Thanks for the feedback
Gonna try vinegar on the trammel first then do the rods for the mic (not the mic itself) then oil with 3in1
Again thanks

-
Back