RustyRatRod's Guide To Hot Rod Bliss

-
I had a friend that bought a new 1966 chevy 2 w/ a 365 horse 327-4 speed-posi trac, no power anything, or air. there weren`t "any" tires that would come close to holding that thing. there is no way any stock 340 would have out run that car. I`ve been around a few 340`s, had a 330 horse barracuda that would out run 340`s back then. gotta disagree on this one . that 327 would anialate a 67 375 horse gtx too. matter of fact, the car was never out run back then.
no doubt the box novas were fast, but I don't think that is what Rob's thread is about. lets keep this simple.

I will do one tomorrow and post it. I am not doing this to have a frikkin war. Just for some guidelines. If people want to critique it all to pieces, there won't be a second.

You may as well not even do the first then because I'm pretty sure whatever combo you post will be bitched about be someone.

cheap builds , found this rr 383 in a rolled 67 polara 500 in a bone yard . paid $450 for stock looking motor / trans . both were freash , added my own stuff , i can't get pistons n rings for that . got 50k out of it n still going for it .

DSC07849.JPG

Ok, here's the first. It's an LA 318. 318 unported heads with 360 size valves. 8.5:1 compression. 68 340 cam advanced 4*. 1.625" primary tube headers running through a muffled exhaust. 670 Street Avenger carburetor on a dual plane (pick one) intake. Makes a solid 300HP @ 5K RPM and 331 LB FT of torque@ 4500 RPM. Over 300 LB FT from 2500 to 5000 RPM right where you need it. I hope the graph turned out good enough so yall can read it. Click on the picture and it will get bigger.

300HP 318.jpg

used that similar package in a 77 318 in a 64 barracuda with a 4spd 2.94s it was a great driver . going to step it up to a 340 package .

Here's number 2. It's a nasty little 318. 400HP worth. Now, I will be the first to say that Desktop Dyno's numbers are somewhat liberal......however, there is no denying the torque and power curves.

With this engine, we've given it one more compression point to 9.5, upgraded to fully ported 360 iron heads with 2.02 and 1.60 valves. We've swapped to the Mopar 528 solid cam installed straight up. Installed 1.750 primary tube headers running through muffled exhaust and upgraded to a 750 carburetor.
400HP 318.jpg

As Jim Laroy is so famous for saying, it's all in the heads. Once you start cranking up head flow on this program, it makes a huge difference.

Here is one last one for tonight. Steppin up to a 360. Stock fully ported heads, 2.02 and 1.60 valves. 9.5 compression. 750 carburetor,dual plane intake big tube headers. Comp 275DEH camshaft. This one has more than 300 LB FT from 2000 to 6000 with a peak of 408 LB FT @4000. 382HP @ 5500. Not too shabby for a stock stroke 360.

360 TEST MULE1.jpg

Here is one last one for tonight. Steppin up to a 360. Stock fully ported heads, 2.02 and 1.60 valves. 9.5 compression. 750 carburetor,dual plane intake big tube headers. Comp 275DEH camshaft. This one has more than 300 LB FT from 2000 to 6000 with a peak of 408 LB FT @4000. 382HP @ 5500. Not too shabby for a stock stroke 360.

View attachment 1714998281
That is a fun program.

I find the program reasonably accurate for what it is and what you can plug into it. It is much more of a teaching & learning tool for everyone.

I have found the move to a single plane
From a dual plane a bit far reaching IMO. Not always a Combo dependent thing sometimes.

RRR, I beileve you'll find the mechanical .528 cam build reasonable in it's guesstimates. That solid cam is somewhat like a very good 230*@.050 Hyd. The solid just has more RPM to it.

If you wouldn't mind that solid in a 360, 9.5-1, ported iron head numbers, etc... I'm sure it'll produce well.

A typical solid cam street build.

Has anyone dyno'd, or better yet, gotten any MPH #s at the track for a build that they've run on this program. How was the accuracy?

Has anyone dyno'd, or better yet, gotten any MPH #s at the track for a build that they've run on this program. How was the accuracy?

I've done program builds for a few people here that did claim to have had them dynoed and they said the program was very close.

Of course, that all depends on the dyno and who is operating it. A dyno operator can manipulate the outcome and a stingy or liberal dyno can have effects from one end of the spectrum to the other. The real measure is the drag strip.

rrr , then chassi set up is another playground . you got to stay hooked up to do real world comparing . lots of time can be trimmed or gained .

rrr , then chassi set up is another playground . you got to stay hooked up to do real world comparing . lots of time can be trimmed or gained .

I would venture to say that "the rest of the car" is far more important than the drive train.

yes rrr , there is much to gain in setup , hp is one thing . but setup can throw that away , lol .

Thanks for these examples, RRR! Now nobody go and piss him off by saying something stupid. Still waiting for the 340 builds....

-
Back