S L I C K Trick converting to floor-shift steering column

-
A

Admin1

I'm converting a column-shift to floor-shift in a Duster. A GREAT post from another site clued me in on this one... Instead of having to buy a complete A-body floor-shift steering column, you can go to a JY & it'll cost all of about $5.99. Get the pieces needed from a floor shifted RAM truck (my donor was an '81). All you need are the 2 pieces - one right behind the steering wheel and the one (collar) where the key goes.

Take a steering wheel puller & snap-ring pliers to the JY (along with PB Blaster & phillips screwdriver). A little work & 20 min later you have what you need to trash that column-shifter & gives you a s m o o t h, very pretty steering column .

I puilled them off on Friday, cleaned & painted them today, goin in the Duster tomorrow night.

Now I gotta find another donor for the scamp - that will get no console, but an R-154 5-speed....

49 T&C

Thanks for the tip.
I wonder how many people I confused with 2 shifters in my dart. :jocolor: One on the column and one on the floor.

Mopower71 said:
I wonder how many people I confused with 2 shifters in my dart.

Just tell `em that one is for the Nitrous.... :drunken:

Cool tip! I bought a non-shift column recently. If I knew then.... :?

PB Blaster is the best penetrant I have ever seen.This stuff works on things that Liquid Wrench won't even touch. Available at most automotive outlet and parts stores. :thumrigh: :thumleft:

I just posted this on the BOG, works for me.

I'll make the assumption that you are changing from column to floor
shift?? My car was changed many moons ago by one of the PO,s but the
column cover was never changed. I was having no luck finding a column
cover as junk yards are scarce in my area. I took the parts into the
body man at our equipment depot here at work and he said no problem.
He just cut off the old pernundle and shift lever bracket and is
filling it with some fancy shmancy material. I checked it out the
other day and it is looking like the real thing. This is something
you could do at home. When I get it back I will post pics and find
out what he used if anyone is interested.
Mark
68 340 s notch

-
Back