S475 / S480

-

AR_Tech

Reaction score
Anybody seen or have pictures of an A body with s475 or s480 mounted similar to 70wayfarer has done on his Ute?
My single turbo Wayfarer Ute build
Looking at his build, i think if I mounted on the passenger of a 71 dart it might clear my alternator on 5.9 magnum. I dont know how similar the ute and a dart is when it comes to the engine bay. The safe bet would be a billet VS 7675 and mount it like a few members have done with chinese gt45's but it sounds like the big borg warner will give more power for less boost. Dont mind cutting a hole for cold side piping, but would like to keep my inner fenders.

What about placing the big BW turbo on the driver side near the battery box location? Does that run into other Magnum accessories? I've seen a few done that way.

What about placing the big BW turbo on the driver side near the battery box location? Does that run into other Magnum accessories? I've seen a few done that way.

Are you talking about doing a "fender exit"? I am wanting to do full exhast with a cut out. I was thinking that I would have better luck snaking a larger exhaust out on the passenger side.

Don't see why you couldn't, there's a few builds on here or even on you tube where the turbo is on the passenger side and run a full exhaust, just basically have to get the turbo your going to use, and mock it all up and see where it fits best. Can run a Y in the back for a dual exhaust look if your keeping to a single turbo. Also get a short air cleaner to have that for clearance. Passenger side would be easier since you won't have to deal with the steering column and brake lines. Like I said there's a few builds on here with single turbos. Wayfarer is a nice build.

Are you talking about doing a "fender exit"? I am wanting to do full exhast with a cut out. I was thinking that I would have better luck snaking a larger exhaust out on the passenger side.
I believe those s475/s480s have a 4" exhaust side. You would have to reduce it down to probably a 3" to get it to squeeze past the torsion bars and that might choke the turbo. I've been thinking about going the same route with a big T6 s475 (probably a China knock-off) and the only way it would work on my little A would be a fender exit.

Yeah, I was thinking 3" max or maybe a larger oval pipe. I found another build by junior636 he had a bullseye s475 t4 but ended up selling it before finishing the build. The compressor cover looks different/smaller than the others that I have seen. I need to call them and see what is up with their s475. It looks like it should be doable. I believe the shortest filter that will fit is 6". Here are some photos that stole from his build.
20170128_160223.jpg
20170211_112804.jpg

There's always that 7875 from VS Racing or ON3. I've considered that one as well. Packaging is much smaller than the big S480s and I think it's about the right size for a 5.9.

I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the VS 7875. There are a lot of builds on the ls forums and sloppy mechanics has had some good luck with their stuff. It should make more than enough, but you hear about high back pressure with the 75mm turbine and larger cubic inches.... Forced Inductions told me I needed to go t6 unless I like blowing head gaskets..... That sure gave me a warm fuzzy lol.

You thinking about swapping out your gt45?

I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on the VS 7875. There are a lot of builds on the ls forums and sloppy mechanics has had some good luck with their stuff. It should make more than enough, but you hear about high back pressure with the 75mm turbine and larger cubic inches.... Forced Inductions told me I needed to go t6 unless I like blowing head gaskets..... That sure gave me a warm fuzzy lol.

You thinking about swapping out your gt45?
It seems the consensus everywhere is that those big BW units are pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar the best turbo you can buy. If I ever build a forged motor I'm going to build a new hotside to work with a s475/s480 and try to chase some bigger HP numbers. The GT45 is a beast in its own right and makes plenty of power for my stock 5.9. Most report the GT45 is good to 625HP.
I do look at shiny objects on the internet and think about trying something like the 7875 if it were a straight bolt on. But I know I would still have to probably rework my downpipe and that kills the motivation. A friend offered me his VS 76 turbo not long ago. Its tiny compared to the GT45. I picked it up with one hand and immediately put it back down and said "this thing is way too small to make any power!". I'm probably wrong of course. Lol.

I just bought two 76/68 turbos from on3, will see how they work out, haven't heard much bad news about them just their exhaust systems fit like crap.

-
Back