Saddled up, ready to head to the track…cherishing being able to race

-

B3422w5

Reaction score
Getting harder and harder for me to get things around to go racing. Load, unload, load, unload.
I have emphysema or COPD whatever you want to call it. I get short of breathe just doing what we’re once easy things.
just finished getting everything around and have been picking away at it off and on since 10. It’s now 1:30.
it is what it is. I stupidly starting smoking menthol cigarettes back in 1974 in boot camp. Didn’t quit till 3 years ago.
my advice to young people is..please don’t start smoking.
I find myself whenever we go somewhere thinking about where we are gonna be parked compared to where we have to go. Never entered my mind before.
Anyhow, not absolutely positive( probably 90% though) that this will be my last year racing. Next year probably just be a spectator.
it isn’t the racing, it’s getting everything around , and that’s part of racing. The other thing is being dependent on others to do stuff I cant do, that sucks too.

IMG_0031.jpeg

Maybe you could switch to a class that will let you drive your car to the track. There is a guy that races on Sundays that has a mobility cart on the back of his modern charger. he leaves the cart carrier hooked to the car and races!

Getting harder and harder for me to get things around to go racing. Load, unload, load, unload.
I have emphysema or COPD whatever you want to call it. I get short of breathe just doing what we’re once easy things.
just finished getting everything around and have been picking away at it off and on since 10. It’s now 1:30.
it is what it is. I stupidly starting smoking menthol cigarettes back in 1974 in boot camp. Didn’t quit till 3 years ago.
I find myself whenever we go somewhere thinking about where we are gonna be parked compared to where we have to go. Never entered my mind before.
Anyhow, not absolutely positive( probably 90% though) that this will be my last year racing. Next year probably just be a spectator.
it isn’t the racing, it’s getting everything around , and that’s part of racing. The other thing is being dependent on others to do stuff I cant do, that sucks too.

View attachment 1716094599
Beautiful car and yeah, it sucks getting old. I'm in the same boat and not sure when I will hang it up but not looking forward to it anytime soon.

Keep on keepin on B3422w5 !!

Just a suggestion.. see if there are any younger people around that are interested in Racing and get them involved. Many are interested in doing the "heavy lifting" just to get a chance to participate in the hobby. Leave a legacy of sorts LOL !

BTW the car is beautiful. Easy to see you have your heart and soul into it!

Cheers!!

I thought my out would be going with my son and helping him race. But he lives in Cleveland Ohio so that door closed. I keep swearing I’m going to get back to the gym, and hope to. Losing 50 pounds would keep me in the game longer so we may see how bad I want it.

I thought my out would be going with my son and helping him race. But he lives in Cleveland Ohio so that door closed. I keep swearing I’m going to get back to the gym, and hope to. Losing 50 pounds would keep me in the game longer so we may see how bad I want it.

Well Pitsburgracer, Ive followed your racing posts on here for a while now and I can pretty much guess how much blood sweat and tears plus money you have put into reducing the weight of your car to gain extra 10th's.

Just imagine how much faster you would be if you reduce your weight by 50 lbs or more !!

(just some incentive LOL !! )

Cheers!

Well Pitsburgracer, Ive followed your racing posts on here for a while now and I can pretty much guess how much blood sweat and tears plus money you have put into reducing the weight of your car to gain extra 10th's.

Just imagine how much faster you would be if you reduce your weight by 50 lbs or more !!

(just some incentive LOL !! )

Cheers!

Lol. I’ve added 200 plus pounds to this car on the advice of my son and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. Bigger fuel cell, alternator, sold the fiberglass doors and put stock doors on with wind up windows, better cooling system, SFI transmission case, RacePak and components, etc. between him getting bumped out of the driver seat and the changes I’ve gone from 2550 to 2850-2880 pounds. I can race four day race weekends with just adding air and fuel.

I hope you have a great time and kick some ***

Git Er done John

Hey you guys please stop getting old, young(ish) guys like myself and the entire world need ya !

Wish my girlfriend would stop, (edit,, smoking)but until she wants to bad enough, it won't happen.
Smoking got so socially unacceptable, and expensive, I quit on my 50th birthday, cold turkey. When I quit,, smokes had gone from$10 a carton to $20. Now Walmart here in az gets $10/pack for Marlburro. Don't know WHAT they charge in california. My gf'ssmokes are around $200/month.
Turned 70 last year. Still gonna be going racing... but it does take more time to prep. Used to load up in the morning before work, tow the racer to work, get out of work 1/2hr early, and be at the track when the gates opened. It's a lot easier to say screw it, I'll go next week, now.

Hang in there as long as you can! I am in a similar boat, being 73 yo and a touch overweight. Things go slow, but i am excited to see what the old bucket will do with its new power!

Yee ha!
New personal best in this car. Missed a bunch first pass, probably loaded up, drove it a long way on the street yesterday.
on this pass it still missed a little in high gear, but ran better
best incremental ever everywhere, except 60 foot has been better several times in the past. And this wasn’t mineshaft air either.
I know it’s got more in it, bet it runs 40’s before the season is over

IMG_0032.jpeg

Yee ha!
New personal best in this car. Missed a bunch first pass, probably loaded up, drove it a long way on the street yesterday.
best incremental ever everywhere, except 60 foot has been better several times in the past. And this wasn’t mineshaft air either.

View attachment 1716094778

Congratulations. Good luck this weekend

Yee ha!

View attachment 1716094778
moves pretty good, good luck this weekend.
Fuel pressure too high??

Congrats Don!! Those new headers working hard for you! Awesome and wishing you the best for this weekend!!

moves pretty good, good luck this weekend.
Fuel pressure too high??

front float was too high, idles much nicer now too.
might lower them both some more, they are both in the middle right now.
had a good friend tell me tonight if I lower them both more, might pick up 3 or 4. Might try if after racing tomorrow, see if it likes it better that way Sunday

Congrats Don!! Those new headers working hard for you! Awesome and wishing you the best for this weekend!!

yes, definitely makes more power with them. If I had it in the same air it was in when I ran that 68 previously, and with a little miss, probably better than a tenth and a half gain

Beautiful car !
I know what you mean , crippled up old age makes it harder to do anything ../ found the short (I think) in my car, (been hunting it for a long,long time) , yesterday , to darn tired and sore to get it off the blocks to test it ...

Got lucky first round. Kicked off another alternator belt. Can’t for the life of me get it figured out.
anyhow, was last one up, had to race the guy who earned the bye run.
he broke in the water box, got a single, was 060 on the tree..lol.
pitched belt after that pass too.
on my last belt

Pooped the bed. Bad red second round. Real bad, and then the car spun..bad
First time for that. Don’t know if I drug some water up or what, but launched the car, acted like it was on ice..ran 7.25

-
Back