Safe to use Wheel Adapters 5 on 4" to 4.5"?

-

67DodgeDart360

Reaction score
I own a 67 Dodge Dart. I want to change my bolt pattern to 5x4.5” to be able to buy different rims. Are Wheel Adapters 5 on 4" to 4.5" Safe to use? Here is the link New Pair Small to Big Bolt Pattern Mopar Wheel Adapters 5 on 4" to 4.5" Dart SBP | eBay

DF936813-74E5-41FE-B3B7-D38B649F5A76.png

I own a 67 Dodge Dart. I want to change my bolt pattern to 5x4.5” to be able to buy different rims. Are Wheel Adapters 5 on 4" to 4.5" Safe to use? Here is the link New Pair Small to Big Bolt Pattern Mopar Wheel Adapters 5 on 4" to 4.5" Dart SBP | eBay

View attachment 1715504962

Not that particular pair. Those are cast, and have a tendency to crack because they're too thin.

Spacer/adaptors like that can be safe to use, but I would always use billet. The billet spacers are typically more like 1" thick, so using them for converting to BBP is problematic because of the backspace needed. Unless you're using 17" or larger wheels.

Like these
1" 1960s Mopar Chrysler 5x4 to 5x4.5 WHEEL Billet Adapters SAE 1/2x20 studs/nut | eBay

Yes, buy those billet ones! Those cast ones go for sale here once in a while, $25-50 a set.

Not that particular pair. Those are cast, and have a tendency to crack because they're too thin.

Spacer/adaptors like that can be safe to use, but I would always use billet. The billet spacers are typically more like 1" thick, so using them for converting to BBP is problematic because of the backspace needed. Unless you're using 17" or larger wheels.

Like these
1" 1960s Mopar Chrysler 5x4 to 5x4.5 WHEEL Billet Adapters SAE 1/2x20 studs/nut | eBay
Thanks so If I did The 1” Adaptors I will now need different backspacing on the rims right? I want to make sure I get the right rim size. I’m doing 17” rims in the front with 15” in the back.

You don't ever want a larger rim in the front and I wouldn't use cheap spacers if your making any power. Plus it may fail inspection if y need that. I may be wrong but someone may correct me if so Dr diff sells replacement axles. Think around 200$ each with bearings and plates. You will have to change the backing plate and drums tho. That will also change your bs.

You don't ever want a larger rim in the front and I wouldn't use cheap spacers if your making any power. Plus it may fail inspection if y need that. I may be wrong but someone may correct me if so Dr diff sells replacement axles. Think around 200$ each with bearings and plates. You will have to change the backing plate and drums tho. That will also change your bs.
Yeah I think it’s going to be a lot of money to change everything to 5x4.5.

i would never do that again , get you axles and hubs drilled to the big pattern , you don't want a wheel coming off at speed . so be safe . speed can kill , don't give it some problem waiting to happen .

I wouldn't use wheel spacers or adapters of any kind.

I wouldn't use wheel spacers or adapters of any kind.

They’re like anything else. Use good parts correctly and it will never be an issue.

Dually’s all use adaptors like that, and that’s heavy duty. An aluminum set of wheels is held onto the hub by what now? Right, the cast center of the wheel.

The cast adaptors don’t have enough material. But the billet adaptors are fine. Make sure all the nuts are torqued and check them at regular intervals (like you’re supposed to do for aluminum wheels!) and they aren’t an issue at all.

Also I got the ssr spikes from jegs and they stated for street use only. They will be ok for 400hp but Drag radials and a warm day, who knows?? Also you want to match the center hole with your hub size or buy hubcentric kit. It centers the wheel and takes torque issues off the studs themselves. I thought about drilling the 4" axles but didnt want to try it myself and machinists here wouldn't do it as a liability. It moves the stud closer to the outer edge. Not saying it cant be done tho and you will still have to drill the drums. 8-1/4 drums and plates work too. You will have way more choices once you crossover to the bigger pattern. 73 and up were 4.5 if you can locate some used ones.

dual rear rims are just using a spacer on the original lug studs . not reclocking the lug pattern to another set of studs . there an accident waiting to happen . i made some out of steel to adapt my first 4.0 bc . they would flex a bit in hard driving .
DSC07826.JPG
DSC07827.JPG
DSC07828.JPG
DSC07829.JPG

dual rear rims are just using a spacer on the original lug studs . not reclocking the lug pattern to another set of studs . there an accident waiting to happen . i made some out of steel to adapt my first 4.0 bc . they would flex a bit in hard driving . View attachment 1715505018 View attachment 1715505019 View attachment 1715505020 View attachment 1715505021

What's that you were saying? Not a different pattern? Not a separate set of studs?

2014 Dodge 3500 Ram 3500 Dually Adapters M14x1.5 | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

Chevy Silverado 2010 CHEVY 01 2010 SILVERADO DUALLY HUB ADAPTERS 3500 FRONT AXLE PAIR | eBay

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Dodge 3500 2000-2011 2000-2011 DODGE RAM 3500 DUALLY FRONT WHEEL ADAPTERS | eBay
s-l1600 (2).jpg

It doesn't matter. As long as there's enough metal around the studs, it's perfectly safe. Yes, adding an additional set of lug nuts does complicate things, you do need to make sure ALL of the lug nuts are properly torqued and checked periodically. But if you do that, they're perfectly safe. If you look at the wheels you're bolting on, and consider the thickness that they have and their construction, the wheel is usually the weakest link.

View attachment 1715504962
I don't recommend using adapters on the front- they tend to work the lugs loose result of turning wheels, etc- Had problem when tried on my 65 Valiant wagon- Maybe OK on rear

these adapters got a bad reputation many years ago, mostly due to improper installation. Brake drums have balancing weights welded onto them. In many cases the weight holds the adapter away, it doesn't sit flat to mating surface. Either not noticed or just ignored. Just thrown on with impact or lug wrench. Proper install and torque is a must

What's that you were saying? Not a different pattern? Not a separate set of studs?

2014 Dodge 3500 Ram 3500 Dually Adapters M14x1.5 | eBay
View attachment 1715505067

Chevy Silverado 2010 CHEVY 01 2010 SILVERADO DUALLY HUB ADAPTERS 3500 FRONT AXLE PAIR | eBay

View attachment 1715505068

Dodge 3500 2000-2011 2000-2011 DODGE RAM 3500 DUALLY FRONT WHEEL ADAPTERS | eBay
View attachment 1715505069

It doesn't matter. As long as there's enough metal around the studs, it's perfectly safe. Yes, adding an additional set of lug nuts does complicate things, you do need to make sure ALL of the lug nuts are properly torqued and checked periodically. But if you do that, they're perfectly safe. If you look at the wheels you're bolting on, and consider the thickness that they have and their construction, the wheel is usually the weakest link.

Those are entirely different than what we're talking about here.

That said, I said in my first post that "I" personally would not use wheel spacers or adapters of any kind. You marked disagree, but you cannot disagree with what I will do on MY stuff, because it's mine, not yours.

never saw those before , but they are iron or steel not cast alum . even billet alum would hold up better than cast alum . i like those wheel spacers , they look to me like budd type wheel off sets , not spacers between the rims .

these adapters got a bad reputation many years ago, mostly due to improper installation. Brake drums have balancing weights welded onto them. In many cases the weight holds the adapter away, it doesn't sit flat to mating surface. Either not noticed or just ignored. Just thrown on with impact or lug wrench. Proper install and torque is a must

Exactly. Adaptors and spacers have gotten a bad reputation primarily from people that don’t install them correctly. That’s been added to by a few spacers on the market that are not strong enough for continuous duty, like the cast aluminum Trans-dapt spacers the OP originally linked. They don’t have enough material around the studs.

Those are entirely different than what we're talking about here.

That said, I said in my first post that "I" personally would not use wheel spacers or adapters of any kind. You marked disagree, but you cannot disagree with what I will do on MY stuff, because it's mine, not yours.

They’re not any different. They’re just adaptors that go from one pattern to another and change the track width. The fact that they’re cast iron or steel does not significantly change their use, remember that those are for 3 ton trucks not a car.

And that’s all it comes down to. If the adaptor is made out of a quality material and has enough material around the stud to provide the necessary strength all it has to be is torqued correctly and it will work just fine and be perfectly safe. Plenty of cars have aluminum hubs.

As far as the disagree, of course I can. You can have your opinion and do whatever you like on your car, and I can still disagree with it. I’m sure you probably “disagree” with my 18” wheels, and likewise I don’t care if you do.

never saw those before , but they are iron or steel not cast alum . even billet alum would hold up better than cast alum . i like those wheel spacers , they look to me like budd type wheel off sets , not spacers between the rims .

As I said, they do the same exact thing as the adaptors we’re talking about. To be clear, I DO NOT recommend using the cast aluminum adaptors the OP originally linked. Not because they’re adaptors, but because the cast material they’re made of needs more material around the studs than those adaptors have- they’re a bad design.

As long as the material around the studs is capable of carrying the load a spacer/adaptor is perfectly safe. The ones I showed were just an example because of your dually remark, they’re out there. And they’re made out of steel or cast iron because they belong on a 3 ton truck. Billet aluminum is more than capable of supporting the studs on our cars.

Plenty of new cars use aluminum hubs. Heck, wilwood brakes have used them for years and all kinds of folks think they’re the best stuff out there.

Last edited:
......….Are Wheel Adapters 5 on 4" to 4.5" Safe to use?...…..
FWIW, I used adapters on my Barracuda front for over a year for my Draglites with no issues before I swapped to LBC and disc brakes. The SBC Cragars I had on previously were a different story.
Back in the day they actually allowed these adapters at the strip. You learned to take the rear wheels off and check for loose lug nuts on the adapter every couple of runs. But once you've rolled a wheel out from the well and folded up your lower rear quarter because you sheared the 7/16" studs, ya' start looking hard for ways to go to LBC and 1/2" stud axle .

I sold those adapters here some time back ......……..

upload_2020-4-11_14-3-1.png

studs on the rear axles , i went from 7/16s studs to threading the hole in the axle to 1/2-20 screwed bolts in from the rear of the axle . never a stud problem . in fact thats the thread i used to bolt those adapters i made on . countersink in and out . it work for the time i need it too , back in the late 70's early 80's .

I used the billet aluminum spacers on the front of my Jeep for close to 10 years with out a problem. It's not a mall crawler and has spent many miles bouncing off large boulders. If I needed use them again on any of my projects I wouldn't hesitate to buy a quality set.

I use 1" BILLET spacers/adapters on my 07 GT500 which is putting about 475hp to the wheels - I also track the car. ZERO issues and I've had them 10 years. Just get the right stuff - listen to 72bluNblu, he sounds pretty knowledgeable.

20200514_132046.jpg

So, I'm converting to disc brakes up front (65 Plymouth Valiant Signet convertible) so that takes care of the front. The rear I had planned to use high quality billet 1" adapters. I ordered 15x7 front/15x8 rear US Mag U107 rims with 215/65/15 front/ 235/60/15 rear Cooper Cobra tires from Discount Tire. I told them that I intended to use rear adapters, even showing them to them, when I ordered and paid for the package. Today they tell me they are in but, not only won't they mount them, they would not even sell the rear ones to me knowing my intentions! They said they have a new policy about adapters but could mount to spacers. So, I can cancel and order from someone who will mount to adapters or I can explore other ways to get a 5x4.5 pattern in the rear. Any experience, ideas or advice out there? Thanks in advance...

-
Back