Salt on the roads

-

68'barracuda

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1968 barracuda of that is my daily driver and with this cold weather and ice starting to build up and they're salting the roads is there any good way to protect my driver that has absolutely 00000 rust?

X2 the new salt brine that everybody uses nowdays will eat your old car alive.

X2 the new salt brine that everybody uses nowdays will eat your old car alive.

It will eat ANY car alive. I would not consider driving a classic in "that stuff." You might check into undercoats and treatments of various types, FOR YOUR soon to be next winter car, but there's no way ....................

Yes, buy another car for winter.

The best case scenario for sure...

When I was in my teen's living in Maryland, and still living at home, i got caught with my driver down and was forced to drive my hotrod to work thru some bad weather. Although my Father was extremely upset with my cure, $$$, I hooked our garden hose to the drain valve on the hot water heater, ran it out a basement window, and washed it off every day when I got home.....wheelwells, the underside, and the body.

It's a lot of work in the nasty cold, but that was the best I could come up with at the time.:D

I can still remember at NAS Miramar when my old 70 440-6 car was only a COUPLE of years old. I got out one morning, in the parking lot, and the sun low in the sky, I look over toward the sun and there is a '70 Satellite, only there is "something wrong." A strange glow can be seen near the back of the car.

The QUARTER PANELS were rusted completely through for about a FOOT into the TRUNK and the SUN was shining clear through from the other side!!! This was a TWO YEAR OLD car from the E coast.

My problem is it's my only driver but I'll try to wash it every day

I'm tellin you you need to rethink this. You can easily do far more damage to your car in one winter than a beater "work car" would cost you

Tonight I got my 1966 dodge polara running and stopping but it needs plugs, wires, just a tune up but it is in the same shape as my Cuda, we also have a 68 charger compleate restoration but my dad won't let me touch it( I don't know why 440 with 590 hp and 4 on the floor) so I don't have a wide range to chose from.

One other thing I remembered was my next door neighbor 70' Duster. It was just a regulation daily driver, but she had no floor mats and after about 6yrs, the driver side floor pan was absolutely toast. The car didn't leak, so I assumed that dragging in her boots with salt on them, helped to rot it from the inside out. Salt was everywhere back then.....driveways, sidewalks, you name it.

My problem is it's my only driver but I'll try to wash it every day

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Trust me, I grew up in upstate New York. They don't call it the RUST BUCKET for nothing. Would you dump acid on your skin? Don't let salt on your Cuda.

I have a 69 Cuda project that was a New York car :banghead: and the quarters, inner and out rockers, trunk, floor, rear valance etc. etc. have all been or are still in need of patch panels/rust repair.

FIND AN OLD PLYMOUTH HORIZON... OR SOMETHING.

TAKE A BUS!!! RIDE THE TRAIN!!! PLEASE!

My 2002 Durango, which spent the first years of it's life in salt every winter is a perfect example. Everytime I close the front passenger door, flakes of rust end up on the running board. If I close the rear gate to hard, flakes of rust on the ground. And on and on I could go.:violent1:

One other thing I remembered was my next door neighbor 70' Duster. It was just a regulation daily driver, but she had no floor mats and after about 6yrs, the driver side floor pan was absolutely toast. The car didn't leak, so I assumed that dragging in her boots with salt on them, helped to rot it from the inside out. Salt was everywhere back then.....driveways, sidewalks, you name it.

I have floor mats on top of the original looking floor mats

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Trust me, I grew up in upstate New York. They don't call it the RUST BUCKET for nothing. Would you dump acid on your skin? Don't let salt on your Cuda.

I have a 69 Cuda project that was a New York car :banghead: and the quarters, inner and out rockers, trunk, floor, rear valance etc. etc. have all been or are still in need of patch panels/rust repair.

FIND AN OLD PLYMOUTH HORIZON... OR SOMETHING.

TAKE A BUS!!! RIDE THE TRAIN!!! PLEASE!

My 2002 Durango, which spent the first years of it's life in salt every winter is a perfect example. Everytime I close the front passenger door, flakes of rust end up on the running board. If I close the rear gate to hard, flakes of rust on the ground. And on and on I could go.:violent1:
but I also live in Texas so it's not too often that this happens

What everybody is saying is true. No matter how you try to wash off the salt, it will settle in areas and you'll have rust. Get a ride with someone.

Well.... You can't walk a mile. You don't have another car. You don't have any money. You have an excuse for every suggestion made.

Looks like you are screwed.

I'm a little surprised they use much salt in Texas, although you are fairly north in the state. It can't be very often, and hopefully the rain will wash most of it down. There's really no way to protect yourself if you are driving thru any wet roads that have been treated. Walking to work was kind of a tongue in cheek comment, but if you want to protect your ride, i'd consider it. Man, i wish i had only worked a mile from home thru my life. Just take care of your ride...Good Luck :thumleft:.

-
Back