Salt on the roads

-
May sound funny, yet it's worked for many years...

Spray to coat the vehicle in sump oil then go blasting down a dirt road to coat it in dust.

Sumo oil : Any of numerous mineral, vegetable, and synthetic substances and animal and vegetable fats that are generally slippery, combustible, viscous, liquid or liquefiable at room temperatures, soluble in various organic solvents such as ether but not in water, and used in a great variety of products, especially lubricants and fuels.

When spring comes, wash it away at a DIY car wash..

I remember getting this done when I lived in Toronto for my 55 Ford P/U

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Trust me, I grew up in upstate New York. They don't call it the RUST BUCKET for nothing. Would you dump acid on your skin? Don't let salt on your Cuda.

I have a 69 Cuda project that was a New York car :banghead: and the quarters, inner and out rockers, trunk, floor, rear valance etc. etc. have all been or are still in need of patch panels/rust repair.

FIND AN OLD PLYMOUTH HORIZON... OR SOMETHING.

TAKE A BUS!!! RIDE THE TRAIN!!! PLEASE!

My 2002 Durango, which spent the first years of it's life in salt every winter is a perfect example. Everytime I close the front passenger door, flakes of rust end up on the running board. If I close the rear gate to hard, flakes of rust on the ground. And on and on I could go.:violent1:

My Duster is a NY car that was purchased new right in Penn Yan. Lucky for me it was an older man who never drove it winters and just left it in a garage but this is the exception as most of these cars rusted away in just a very few years. You see very few of the A bodies in this area at shows or cruises because of this and the fact that they came with primer only on the bottom and almost zero paint.

My plan is togey the polara on the road, it's original but it not in great shape and it's not as valuable as the cuda

Still making excuses.

Get a front wheel drive or 4wd car that old polara will get stuck a lot and it may take a dozen people to push it out, then there is all the gas it will use

Again Just man up, what are you like 16 and started driving last week

And what does the word "togey" mean?

Did you mean to type "to Gay" and messed up?:eek:ops:

Still making excuses.

Get a front wheel drive or 4wd car that old polara will get stuck a lot and it may take a dozen people to push it out, then there is all the gas it will use

Again Just man up, what are you like 16 and started driving last week

And what does the word "togey" mean?

Did you mean to type "to Gay" and messed up?:eek:ops:

No to get
And I've been driving for 9 years and I'm 17

I used to find a beater newyorker or imperial to drive through the winter. Come spring remove drive train. No loss of investment. Not sure this could still be done these days.
Some funny antidotes in here. Thanks.
Don't drive the barracuda. If you do anyway don't tell us about it. Sounds like you need to finance and labor one back from the dead. Lots of guys here would love to have a rust free barracuda. And a lot of us are trying to repair rust damaged cars. Requires lots of time, money and love that you never can get back.

Ditto

But work is only about 1 mile from my drive way but just trying to prevent any rust

1 mile or 100 miles, it's all the same to the salt. You drive 1 mile to work, that salt sits on the car all day while you're there and rots it away. You drive home and wash it, fine. That salt sat all day on the car anyways. But who's to say you're going to want to wash it every day you get home from work? Maybe you'll let it slide here and there. Then that's all day and all night the salt sits on the car. Don't drive your Cuda or Polara on the salt roads. Do you know how many people would love to even have a Cuda?

Do you park the car in a heated garage?? DON'T Keep the water and salt frozen it will not rust your car as bad if it stays frozen.
If you park indoors or wash it everyday as you mentioned. The water and salt will liquify and bathe your car with rust cancer.
Keep the car (plus the ice and salt frozen)

What part of Texas do you live that uses salt on the roads?

Don't know how cold it gets there, but there is no way I could give up my fuel injection for a carb for winter driving. I run out to the pickup in the morning and open the door,reach in and turn the key, and run back in the house while the pickup warm up. I don't have to go through the pump it twice, hold it half way down, turn the key, when it fires, hold it half way down for a minute, let off of the gas and hope it stays running. So far just a light dusting of snow (1/2")and low temps in the single digits here.
My opinion, sell or trade something and get a more modern beater.

I'd re-focus my dollars on getting a 95-2005 model econmical daily driver front wheel drive vehicle considering that you seem to have ice, snow and bad weather durning the winter.

Putting large dollars into an old mopar then driving it in the salt all the time is just counter intuitive to the longevity and quality of your rare hard earned machine.

Until you get a 2000 honda hatchback civc with snow tires, try this:

http://3mcollision.com/3m-rust-fighter-i-08892.html

Steam clean the underside and then spray the entire underside and all internal frame tubes. Down inside the trunk where the quarters meet the floor pan over the wheel well-quarter area, trunk to quarter area.

Alternatively and non-enviro method: Soak everything with pump sprayer full of used oil, used atf and 10% diesel, several gallons.

I too have heard of spraying down the underneath with used motoroil and going down a gravel road. Never done it myself as most of my daily drivers were already losing the battle with rust.

:wack:By the way just so every one knows I started this for the everybody it dosent get snowie or Icey often but I just played along. The roads might get salted 1 or 2 time a year, just for anyone else...:cheers:

MT never used salt until about 10 years ago. They switched from sand to a saline, promising it would not cause corrosion. The state the first year used metal tanks on the plows to apply the spray. The next year they had to buy plastic tanks because the metal tanks were rusted out.

Don't do it man. If they use it, walk or ride a bike that day or as long as the roads are wet with that crap. Hold off on parts long enough to get a beater. Something.

I bought a 66 Valiant convertible about five years ago from the original family that purchased it. Original owner was an aunt to some of the other owners. It was driven once in the salt. Fast forward to when I got it and the front fenders and quarter panels had huge holes while the floor pan looked better than any car I've seen even one from the desert.

So there is no way to avoid ruining your car if you drive it in the salt.

If you just HAVE to drive it when they salt the roads you'll have about a year to find another car.

oooo yeah I will not give a 100% percent guarantee with all this new chemical but here is what I do and have done scene back in the 60s pull your car somewhere where all the tree huggers can't see ya and away from any shallow wells and the next time you change oil save it but yo a good squirt can for oil and spray every nook and cranny until its dripping on the ground and I usually start high above the wheel wheels and just fill her up and make sure you get in front of the wheels to tell its dripping it usually takes me about three oil changes to do it does it workI don't know but I do now none of my old car has rusted wheel I had them or have kept track of and i'm sure you know how they rusted in the 70s and make sure in the spring you run it 50 mil. or so that's how we used to tell a car that was run long distances because of the rain hope this helps Artie
dam no one likes my idea it works ya I know it a mess but worth it PROMUS:prayer:

Sell that second car and get the moped...preferably with lots if plastic...no more rust worries! Lol

1 mile from work? That's like living a dream. Why the hell would you ever drive to work? I gather that our friends in Texas don't care for exercise... But for a 17 year old kid, thats a 15 min walk tops. :)

Good news about the "other car" (though based on the treatment the kid has gotten here, I wouldnt blame him for lying about it)...but the comments in this discussion are right on. Driving that Barracuda in the salt would be about as bad as hitting it with a sledge hammer.

My question is this:
What kind of car should we use in the winter?

My preference is an older mopar that is not rare.

In the winter you fix the rockin' summer mopar, In the summer you save the winter mopar.

Can you say win-win

-
Back