Sanderson Headers: The Verdict

-

dartslantsix

Reaction score
There's been some speculation and talk about whether the Sanderson shorty headers fit our cars. I know @Blackhatguy tried them on his 64 and had to clearance them, but would a later car require as much? I took one for the team and ordered a set of DD8 headers, which are for 67-69 cars. My car is 67 Barracuda with Magnum swap and manual trans with hydraulic clutch. (They also offer DD7 headers which supposedly fit 70-76 cars. Not sure why the difference. Somebody else should buy those and report back.)

TL&DR: They fit if you don't use the oil filter adapter and switch to a short filter. Also, you have to clearance around the steering coupler, but it was only one tube. A universal u-joint might give more clearance and not require denting.

IMG_0978.JPG

I ordered them uncoated because I knew I'd need to tweak them. $453 plus shipping.

IMG_0986.JPG

Passenger side dropped right in without jacking engine. As noted above, I had to ditch the 90 degree oil filter adapter and switch to a short filter.

Block.JPG

This protrusion on the block contacted the header and needed to be knocked down slightly. Not sure if LA blocks have this, mine is a Magnum block.

IMG_0984.JPG

Driver's side required jacking up the engine and tilting it toward the passenger side a little to slide into place. You can see the coupler hitting the #3 tube. An aftermarket u-joint might clear, not sure.

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

This is how much clearance it took. Again, this is just the one pipe.

IMG_1068.JPG

A coworker helped me cerakote them once they were modified.

IMG_1073.JPG

Today I had my exhaust guy make the pipes for them.

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

There you have it. If you don't mind a little work, the Sanderson headers fit.
I have more details on my blog if you want to check it out.

Nice job with the write up!
Also, good job on the start to finish.
As much as I love my Doug’s on the 66’ and my 72’. Those almost fit better…. “Almost!”
I have never seen a comparison of shorty headers vs long tube headers. Maybe An episode of Engine Masters in the future.
Thank you for sharing.
Syleng1

If I had spend $500.00 on a set of headers and they needed a pipe crushed to fit, they were going back

In my book, that does not count as "fit"

Perhaps they would fit manual steering without fine tuning?
I don't know. The manual steering couplers are pretty big, too. I think they're in a little different location, so maybe? I believe though, as the OP stated, an aftermarket steering joint might have cleared, or at least made it so he didn't have to almost close #3 tube completely off. I be damned if I'd done "all that". I'd found a different way.

If I sold a header that required that kinda crap, I sure wouldn't hang a tag with my name on it, on it.

I personally would like to update the coupler anyways.. it's too big for what it is.
I would mod that and leave the header alone.

The DD9 header set fits 1966 and older Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth A-Body Cars using Chrysler 318-360 small block V8 engines.:BangHead:

I love my DD9s, drivers side slipped right in but I did have to lift my engine a bit to get the passengers side in. I have a manual steering box in my 65 and they cleared it perfectly!

Wow, tough crowd.
I would have gone for the TTI shorty but I wasn't sure it would fit with my AX15 transmission. I knew going into it that some modification would be necessary, so I figured I'd get the cheaper header instead of beating on the expensive headers. So if you want to save $119 (over the TTI) and aren't afraid to clearance things, these are pretty nice.
I would be curious to try to DD9 on a later car to see if it clears everything.

I love my DD9s, drivers side slipped right in but I did have to lift my engine a bit to get the passengers side in. I have a manual steering box in my 65 and they cleared it perfectly!
Perhaps they would fit manual steering without fine tuning?
I used the DD9's in my '66 with manual steering and column shift and the #3 tube did require a dimple to get around the steering coupler. I had already relocated the oil filter so the only issue on the passenger side was a small dimple needed in the shock tower. It all turned out a lot easier than I thought and would highly recommend for anyone with the same or similar set up.

-
Back