Sandon A/C Compressors

-

Dartwizer

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Will the Sandon style a/c compressor work with the LD 340 or RPM air gap intakes? If not, what does fit the small block?

I have the stock ac compressor with a ld340 on my LA 360 and everything lines up, so I would say that should not be a issue for a sanden.

I have the modern style compressor on my 340 with air gap intake. Works great. Of course you will need to fab up some brackets.
Mine was part of the kit from classic auto air but I still had to make a couple brackets because the support brackets did not line up to the intake bolt. The final product is rock solid with no possible way to flex.

20200422_172611.jpg

My 408 has an LD340 manifold and I was able to modify eighties truck AC brackets to work.

IMG_0716.JPG

Vintage air makes a bracket that mounts to the water pump, mounts the compressor, PS pump, and alt., comes with bolts, spacers and all.
Need a different heater nipple for the intake that angles instead of straight up.
upload_2020-4-22_17-58-3.png

Then work with the Edelbrock Air Gap, not any of the chinkesium air gaps.

it's not the compressor that would be the problem, it's the brackets

If you haven't already bought the compressor, check out CVF Racing. Got my pulleys, brackets, and compressor from them for my 340 with an Air Gap. Everything fit perfectly.

In an older thread you said your bracket kit was part number 3009, is this the bracket kit you have:

1970 - 1982 318 340 360 Dodge Chrysler Compressor Bracket

Classic Air sent me this one which shares a belt with the PS pump and I am guessing I will have belt slip issues due to insufficient belt wrap:

BPE A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket Kit Small Block W/ P.S - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

I would like to use my original 3 groove factory air crank pulley with a dedicated AC belt like you did. But it looks like your bracket kit, 3009, is for the '70 up pulleys which have different offset to a '69 pulleys.

Has anyone out there ran a '69 factory air 3 groove crank pulley and used the front most crank pulley groove to drive a Sanden compressor?

I see Vintage Air brackets which moves alternator to drivers side. Moving alternator to sit on top of PS pump I don't think that is going to work.

-
Back