Sanity check: When lower control arm pivot nut is torqued...

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I just installed the first QA1 dynamic strut rod on the driver’s side. This of course requires disassembling the entire suspension.

Currently only the strut rod is connected to the arm. When indexing the strut rod and checking for binding (with everything loose), it all moves smoothly for the range of travel. All good so far.

So I started to tighten the pivot but on the LCA...and suddenly something seems wrong the more I tighten the nut, the more the arm binds. At just 80ft-lbs, there’s noticeable resistance. At 145ft-lbs, it’s going to be extremely tight. Is that right? The whole arm starts to move together with the pivot shaft?

I installed these QA1 LCAs last year and I don’t remember what it felt like as I tightened the pivot shaft nut. Maybe that’s how it feels when the weight of the car isn’t on the suspension??? I’m skeptical.

So if it is binding...what did I do wrong?

As always, any input is greatly appreciated!

When the pivot shaft nut is tight the pivot shaft shouldn't move at all, that's the point. If you have rubber LCA bushings, when the pivot shaft is tight all the movement in the LCA comes from flexing the rubber LCA bushing. That's why you're supposed to torque the LCA pivot nuts at ride height, if you don't it over extends the rubber bushing and the bushing tears. If you have Poly or Delrin LCA bushings the LCA and bushing should just rotate on the pin, which gives less resistance than the rubber bushings and removes the need to tighten the pivots at ride height.

Regardless, you can't set the strut rod length with the LCA pivot nuts loose. They have to be torqued to spec. As you're tightening the LCA pivots it's pulling the LCA forward, so more than likely the strut rods are too long and everything is binding up.

That all makes sense.
I seemed to recall making the pivot shaft nuts fairly snug (maybe not 80ft-lbs...) before tightening at ride height with full weight on the wheels last time. I guess not! :)

Yeah, the strut rod length issue makes sense too.

Thanks!!

-
Back