Savage GT Barracuda

-

Devil

Reaction score
Hello A-bodians....eh?

Some may know me... or won't admit it. I'm Ryan the Auto Archaeologist... or atleast I call myself that.

But I thought I would share something I shot this weekend you guy guys would really appreciate.

This is the Savage GT Barracuda that was pulled out of the field a few years ago. It was pushed into this storage space and then hasn't been touched since. I was allowed to view the car this past weekend. And I photographed it the best I could.

10394796404_3362970593_c.jpg

10394978723_7dc285335e_c.jpg

10394804315_e9438691eb_c.jpg

10394839776_b9fc7cb354_c.jpg

10394989263_582e60ba9d_c.jpg

10394990543_ee942bfc4b_c.jpg

10394845226_afb7b1a0cb_c.jpg

10394813424_0a2818951b_c.jpg

10394847846_374cb0ca59_c.jpg

You can view all the pictures at the link below.
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/sets/72157636779619164/with/10394820835/"]Rockford Closing Weekend - a set on Flickr[/ame]

I hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

Ryan
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com

Indeed, there are a few posts floating around here with pictures/info on this car and a few others. So I thought you guys would like to see what became of it... so far.

Thanks for the photos! Does the owner have the rest of the GT kit? This is way cool there was a guy claiming before he bought it or had photos of it like this, never did surface, so great to see this car, I wish someone would start re-popping savage kits for the barracudas. I would have to have a Savage GT

It would be great to know who scored this one below from the Appleton, WI craigslist ad. It might be the guy who shows up on craigslist asking for info on Savage GTs from time to time in the Minneapolis area.

It looks to be a little darker, and has the wheels and grille center intact. By my count, rhinodart's is one, there is this one below and the one that has most of the Savage stuff gone up in the Pacific Northwest owned by a guy on the HAMB for number three.

While I appreciate these cars for their rarity, I think you could take some of the styling cues from back in the day and make a better one that using similar styling cues. It would look just as cool. Not like they did a ton of stuff to make these cars unique, other than only build a few before they folded.

SavageGT006S.jpg

attachment.php

Here are some other shots and a magazine that has an article in it about the Savage Barracuda. The one in the storage building has the same area worked on the right quarter panel so it is the same car as in pictures outside besides the building.

Attachments

• Savage.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 863
  • savagegtspoiler2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 858
  • savagegtspoiler.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 864
Yeah, it is that one pulled from the field. Rhino does not own it, someone he worked for does.

The GT kit was rear spoiler hood scoop/hood pins front grille and wheels right? Was there special interior or louvers?

Some parts are missing or away in storage. This is just what I saw in the storage shed.

I have never seen or heard of a Savage GT before - looks pretty cool but the two aspects I love the most on factory 67-68 Barracudas are the nose cone and hood.

Were they sold thru a particular dealer?

I will see if I can find the pics I took when I pulled it out of the field near Eau Claire. The car was for sale on eBay when I won the auction, but the car was bought for the guy I worked for at the time. I put it in the storage area where it sits today because the right frame rail is rusted through and it won't roll. Some of the grille parts were missing and the original engine is in a Challenger still in the Eau Claire area, there is a later model 318 in it when I got it. The car was originally red and the fender tag exists thankfully. I talked with the designer of the car who is retired in Florida but I never got to meet him. I wish I would have because he said he still had all the documents and blueprints from the original design! There is a fourth car that was known a couple years ago but I don't know what I did with the info.

I will see if I can find the pics I took when I pulled it out of the field near Eau Claire. The car was for sale on eBay when I won the auction, but the car was bought for the guy I worked for at the time. I put it in the storage area where it sits today because the right frame rail is rusted through and it won't roll. Some of the grille parts were missing and the original engine is in a Challenger still in the Eau Claire area, there is a later model 318 in it when I got it. The car was originally red and the fender tag exists thankfully. I talked with the designer of the car who is retired in Florida but I never got to meet him. I wish I would have because he said he still had all the documents and blueprints from the original design! There is a fourth car that was known a couple years ago but I don't know what I did with the info.

Hope it wasn't in the garage

The car is in a purgatory. Right now the owner is... pre-occupied for a few years. When he comes out he has a slew of project cars waiting in the wings. Lets hope it gets done here shortly.

Glad to be here.

Info to share, collected when these were used cars and Ryan was probably not born yet. :)

If I owned one it would be set up for hot laps on the road course...eating horse meat and rice for a balanced diet.

I redacted the last pic for lots of reasons

Attachments

• savage gt 2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 521
  • savage gt 3.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 512
  • savage gt 4.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 496
  • savage gt 5.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 556
  • savage gt1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 461